Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

group b strep - problems during pregnancy?

(11 Posts)
whenitsover Thu 06-Apr-17 15:26:42

so ive been told i carry the group b strep infection. im not pregnant, but am TTC. anyone else with this able to share what they went through during their pregnancy / birth?

TeaAndPjs Thu 06-Apr-17 16:42:53

Never had any problems during pregnancy but was stabbed at 38 and 40 weeks (d's was born at 40+3) and cos test at40 weeks was positive for it in birth canal we man had to get anti-bs every 12 hours for 48 hours before we could go home tho if it's a longer labour they can give them to you throughout to save that but my Ds wasn't hanging about, from 1st contraction to delivery was 1hr 15mins so he had to have them

whenitsover Thu 06-Apr-17 19:25:14

Thanks for replying. Good to know it has limited complications

NonsensicalNonsense Fri 07-Apr-17 09:45:10

You just have to have a drip with anti biotics when you give birth. Having the strep b bacterium is not like having an illness of some sort so causes no issues with baby or pregnancy. Its the act of giving birth that means you could pass it to your baby which can cause problems, hence the anti biotics.

NonsensicalNonsense Fri 07-Apr-17 09:46:05

Meant to add I'm 39 weeks now, found out GSB positive only last week so did my research since then. Good luck TTC.

whenitsover Fri 07-Apr-17 10:00:15

thanks @nonsensicalnonsense...best of luck to you!

do you know if its a problem with a caesarean delivery?

NonsensicalNonsense Fri 07-Apr-17 10:13:56

I dont think so. I believe it is the act of your child passing through your vagina that is the issue. Visit gbss.org.uk

iamreginaphalange Sun 09-Apr-17 20:04:38

Hi
I got treated for it at around 12 weeks and was put on antibiotics. I am 25 weeks now and all seems ok. When I go into labour they'll give me antibiotics IV to prevent baby contracting it as it passes through birth canal and we will have to stay in hospital for a night hopefully just one night. Good luck with TTC x

AbbeyRoadCrossing Sun 09-Apr-17 20:09:37

I had it in 2 pregnancies and no problems. Both were c section delivery so I didn't need antibiotics. I believe as PP have saI'd it's a drip during labour

TeaAndPjs Sun 09-Apr-17 22:49:13

It'll only be a drip through labour if there's time for it, if you're like me and deliver real quick then it's a 48 hour stay with baby getting IV antibiotics every 12 hours!

I hate hospitals and found that the hardest part tho knew DS needed it, the day we got the all clear and told we could go home was greatsmile

whenitsover Mon 10-Apr-17 11:29:08

Great thanks for all your responses - really reassuring xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now