Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Unable to dress myself

(22 Posts)
chelle85 Thu 06-Apr-17 13:49:58

I am really struggling to dress my new pregnancy body. I am 21 weeks at the moment and squarely in the plump not bump stage.

I was a size 6-8 pre pregnancy but am now struggling to wear my normal clothes. I have bought and returned so many maternity clothes it is unreal. Everything I try in maternity is too big but my clothes are too small. I usually live in H&M stuff but they are out of stock in anything below a 14 in maternity wear. I have tried going up a size in normal clothes but the rest of the proportions are out and everything just looks badly fitted.

We are looking to book a holiday for first week in May and I am dreading trying to pack as nowhere has any maternity summer clothing in my size.

What are you wearing and where did you get it from?!

BeeFarseer Thu 06-Apr-17 13:52:21

I thought this was going to be about being physically unable to dress yourself because of severe SPD, and I came to give you tips...

<backs slowly out of thread>

user1480264544 Thu 06-Apr-17 13:53:53

I'm 23 weeks and the size of a house! Same
Problem as your self! I went to good old primary and bought lots of stuff like this! (Attached pic) also loads of midi t-shirt dresses for £6!!! I have stayed in the same size as there mostly stretchy but I find maternity clothes a bit difficult to wear! Good luck!! X

Creatureofthenight Thu 06-Apr-17 13:54:06

I've got hardly any maternity stuff except jeans and leggings. I find most maternity stuff is huge on me, I'm v short. I've been buying loose fitting dresses for work, mostly swing style, in my normal size, and t-shirts that are a size or 2 up from normal. I wore jeggings a size lager than normal until I was about 24 weeks.
I have joked that my new hobby is buying maternity clothes and sending them back the next day!

user1480264544 Thu 06-Apr-17 13:55:02

Also boohoo & asos do a good selection of mat clothing but then again it's the size issue! X

Kiwi32 Thu 06-Apr-17 14:01:45

Have a look at seraphine.com. Nice stretch cotton maxi dresses are good for holidays too-I just got a normal one. I think clingy dresses are almost better as it emphasises your bump and shows you're slim elsewhere!

savagehk Thu 06-Apr-17 14:03:57

Isabella Oliver - you'll be a size 0/1 in their peculiar sizing. The wrap tops are best as they grow with you. If you find some maternity vests to put under other things and also some bump bands to put underneath that helps. Leggings are good, and don't have to be maternity IMO they can just go under bump. eBay for 2nd hand.

Sparklyuggs Thu 06-Apr-17 14:25:37

I found ASOS maternity in a size down good in the plump not bump stage as you say. Your bump may grow quite quickly though, the difference from 16 to 20 to 24 weeks is astounding on me.

Zaberwocky Thu 06-Apr-17 15:10:36

As others have said, ASOS has a pretty good range. Topshop and Dorothy Perkins do some nice maternity bits too. Although I think both may only be online.

MinisWin Thu 06-Apr-17 15:20:54

I barely bought any maternity at all, bar jeans and long vests. I'm normally a size 10 but very tall so if I was a 'normal' height would probably be more shaped like an 8. My strategy was to buy in the shops I normally would (Zara, Cos, ASOS, odd bit of topshop) but think about silhouette and size up one or two sizes. Also avoid anything waisted - instead, bodycon is your friend (really! Much more flattering than all the extra fabric of maternity wear) and also the interesting voluminous shapes which the shops are FULL of at the moment, with a fitted bottom half and a vest underneath. Also, you can wear a lovely coat or jacket, just open instead of closed, and you can then use it after pregnancy too. Paradoxically I would say it gets easier to dress as you become more bumpy - I hated the in between 20-something week stage!

chelle85 Thu 06-Apr-17 15:27:06

I think it is the lack of defined bump that I am struggling with as body con just looks lumpy at the moment and loose can look big all over as things don't skim how they used to! I have been avoiding getting normal clothes in a bigger size because I feel like I'll just have to keep buying as bump does get bigger.

Our spare room is covered in the contents of my wardrobe and I try on at least 10 outfits each morning before work before giving up and thinking this will have to do!

Hopefully I will 'pop' before we go away!

Zaberwocky Thu 06-Apr-17 15:40:32

Chelle I know you don't feel it, but I'm sure you look wonderful!

I'm sure you already have tried Next as well, but they used to do like a 'starter' maternity pack with leggings, couple of tops and a basic black dress in. My friend had one of these, dressed up the black with pretty, long and floaty kimonos and looked fab smile like you, she was a size 8 everywhere without a defined bump.

savagehk Thu 06-Apr-17 15:42:06

This top worked well during pregnancy and bf last time and again this pregnancy www.seraphine.com/nursing-clothes/nursing-tops/blue3-4-sleeve-pleated-nursing-top-seraphine.html

This sort of style would also work well regardless of bump size www.seraphine.com/nursing-clothes/nursing-tops/printed-modal-maternity-nursing-top.html

This is what the wrap-ones can do (not sure I'd do it in white, though, looks a bit like a mummy of another kind!) www.isabellaoliver.com/uk/shop/maternity-clothes/maternity-tops/mona-maternity-top-pure-white.htm

I did manage to wait for sales though smile

mamarach26 Thu 06-Apr-17 20:50:28

I have this problem! 23 weeks with my second. I'm living in tights and loose dresses. I was a 6 before pregnancy and now I can't fasten any of my jeans. I'm also 4'11 so have sent back all pants as they are too long. H&M never seem to restock, if you find anywhere decent please update me!

PotatoesPastaAndBread Thu 06-Apr-17 21:32:00

I'm only 13 weeks and finding a similar thing already! When you find what works, let me know... 😉

Red herring (debenhams) is quite good for "small" maternity stuff.

Under bump jeans work better for a non defined bump (ie thick waist/growing tummy). Over bump are better when you have a big bump.

Ammelou Thu 06-Apr-17 21:38:27

I lived in maternity leggings (H&M and mothercare) and then I mostly wore the stretchy bodycon dresses they do in H&M basics. Not maternity, just normal ones. I found they fitted me all the way up to full term and came in loads of different colours. The spaghetti strap black ones were great with a coloured or patterned sleeveless blouse undone over the top. I was heavily pregnant in the summer and this worked for me!

Catlover1812 Thu 06-Apr-17 22:58:17

I'm the same size as you and I've got a few baggy shirts/tops from Zara - still an xs, but are made to be baggy. I know I'll wear them afterwards so I don't feel bad about spending too much money. Oh and as the others are saying, leggings are your friend (Topshop ones come up huge btw!)

annlee3817 Thu 06-Apr-17 23:04:49

I used to get a lot of the t-shirt style dresses from primary, that fitted nicely over the boobs then went out. They had similar in the H&M non maternity basic range too, they were easy to dress up and down, comfy and came in loads of colours, as I got further a long I wore vest tops underneath them for extra support.

beingsunny Thu 06-Apr-17 23:11:47

Isabella Oliver!
Amazing

DinosaurFanGirl Thu 06-Apr-17 23:21:04

I found skater style dresses good for that not quite bump stage! But hopefully by May you'll have pushed out into bump stage. I reckon you'll be surprised how big bump will be in another 4 weeks xx

Underparmummy Mon 10-Apr-17 10:38:11

Leggings and floaty tunic tops. Repeat ad nauseam until you are so bored of your clothes you consider nudism.

When you get a bigger bump stretchy tops and mat jeans or stretchy fitted jersey dresses are your best bet.

HalfStar Mon 10-Apr-17 11:49:28

ASOS all the way. They do a realistic size 6 and even do 'maternity petite' now. It's not good quality or anything but you'll feel like less of a frump.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now