Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby Shower Alternative?

(8 Posts)
user1490444663 Thu 06-Apr-17 11:48:15

I don't want a baby shower, Mainly because I don't want it to seem like I'm asking for things when that's definitely not the case, But also because I live in a small-ish town that doesn't really have anywhere (that doesn't cost an arm and a leg) to rent for such an event. Having it at my house would be out of the question, My SIL has offered to have a few people round, But she lives quite out of the way for a lot of people who would be attending.

Is there any alternatives? I was thinking of maybe booking a table somewhere for lunch/dinner, but not sure.

Did anyone else have this problem? Or have any suggestions on what we could do?

Thank you in advance.

dalmatianmad Thu 06-Apr-17 11:51:41

If you don't want a baby shower then don't have one!

If you want to meet for lunch then book a table somewhere?

I'm not sure what you are asking op?

Neverknowing Thu 06-Apr-17 12:06:42

Baby showers are nice because it's like you're having one last time with your friends before baby. These are the people you want around your baby, I thought of it like inviting these people into your babies life. I made this very clear on the invitations I said something like 'it's not the American version of a baby shower it's just a get together to celebrate baby!' people still brought gifts blush
We all went for tea and cake at a fancy hotel nearby, it was really nice. It's a shame people don't want to have a nice afternoon out because they feel 'graby' I think very few people think that's what a baby shower is anyway!!

user1490444663 Thu 06-Apr-17 12:12:44

Like I say in my message, I wanted suggestions on what we COULD do. Of course I want to do something with friends and family, Most of them have got me/us gifts anyway, But it's not possible to have like a party even if I wanted one. so again, Suggestions on what to do. That's what I was asking.. I thought I put that point across. If not. I hope I have now.

I did consider going somewhere for tea and cakes actually, It seems like a very nice, Adult thing to do :3 I'll pop it on the list of suggestions, Thank you :D

FrenchFrys Thu 06-Apr-17 12:26:37

What about afternoon tea? That seems quite popular for baby themed things.

Neverknowing Thu 06-Apr-17 15:51:56

Sorry if I misunderstood! Afternoon tea was super nice for us smile lots of garden centres do it!

DinosaurFanGirl Thu 06-Apr-17 21:57:40

I don't want a baby shower either! The ones I've all attended have been similar to a tacky hen party but without the alcohol. Plus I cant imagine how awkward I would feel at that part where every would sit round me as I open there gifts (I just cringed as my sister was opening her gifts). I don't want to sound ungrateful or expectant of gifts if I did have a baby shower, its just I'm not good with that sort of thing!

Anyway, at the suggestion of my work friend, I'm organising a dinner (and possibly drinks) out in a simple restaurant. I'm making it clear too that this isn't a baby shower but rather a girly gathering before I go on maternity leave (as most of my friends are work friends but I will be inviting family too). Hope that helps for suggestions xx

SockQueen Fri 07-Apr-17 11:33:43

I had two not-baby-showers, and both were lovely. The first was joint with another friend, about 6 of us had a weekend away in Birmingham, swam at the hotel, went on a canal boat ride, had a picnic etc, very nice and relaxing. Presents were only a tiny part of it. The other was an afternoon tea in a nice hotel with a different group of friends, again more about getting everyone together before the baby chaos descended, than silly games/gifts. There were at least 4 other baby showers in the tea room that day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now