Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

20 week scaniexty

(8 Posts)
Lelly0503 Thu 06-Apr-17 10:55:16

Hello my 20 week scan is next week. I wasn't too nervous as I have a home Doppler so was naively thinking well as long as I can hear the heartbeat everything will be fine. THEN I read about all the things they check for and have none stop googled horror stories about problems being found after a good 12 week and low screening test results and people having to end thier pregnancies. I knew the 20 week scan wasn't all about the gender and we don't want to know anyway so i knew they checked for medical things but I suppose I thought that after good scans so far i didn't need to worry. Can anyone help me relax I'm going insane

harleysmammy Thu 06-Apr-17 11:10:03

I was scared about my 20 week scan from the minute I left the scan room after my 12 week scan. Are you in the uk? If you are, go on the nhs website and look at the list of things they check for. I did that and for everything they check for, it says how high the risk is. I think for everything they checked for, everything was like 0.0001% or around that chance of them finding anything so that put my mind at rest knowing how very unlikely it was. Try not to worry, most 20 week scans are just a lovely way to see your baby again x

queenT90 Thu 06-Apr-17 11:15:46

I know it's a bit late now as you've already done it but STOP googling all the things that could go wrong, you can't live life that way there are so many things that can go wrong in life don't torture yourself by sitting obsessing over it, I don't even know what they check for at the 20week scans and I don't want to know I deliberately stay in the dark about it and if something is wrong when I go then I'll cross that bridge at the time! Try to think more positively you're going to drive yourself mental <3

Lelly0503 Thu 06-Apr-17 12:57:57

Thank you both I am the worst kind of person in any situation in life I feel like I have to think negatively about it, I was the same when we bought our house I convinced myself it would fall through. I've stopped googling now as it hasn't helped, I will just try and see it as exciting to see the baby again, plus yes @harleysmammy I am in uk so will check nhs website out thank you xx

BringMeTea123 Thu 06-Apr-17 14:33:23

Try not to worry. I know it's easier said than done. I was physically shaking before we went into my 20 week scan, my partner was reassuring me everything was going to be fine.

Sure enough everything was fine. They asked if we wanted to know the sex. We said no. And then you can just hear one saying things like 2 arms, 2 legs and another lady writing it all down. I had to lay on my side for my scan because he was really curled up! He's now nearly 6 months old and absolutely perfect in every way.

Do you want to know the sex? If you don't they are really good and don't go near that area.

Good luck x

Here's mine - you will amazed at how much bigger they look from your last scan! It's amazing

Lelly0503 Thu 06-Apr-17 15:12:42

Wow bringmetea that's a really good pic! Everyone says compared to the 12 week they really look like a baby. I'm sure everything will be fine it just feels like another milestone. My partner is also the same and saying don't worry it will all be fine but it's hard when the worry just keeps going round in your head x

BringMeTea123 Thu 06-Apr-17 15:24:00

I was very lucky as my scan pictures were all very clear even at 13 weeks! But yes you can really make it out at your 20 week! Just enjoy it. It could be the last time you see them before they're born. I'd highly recommend a 4D scan. We had one 25 weeks. Was only around £60 and was really nice to see his face and hands etc!

Doughnutsandrainbows Thu 06-Apr-17 19:24:22

Hi Lelly, I've got mine next weds and am exactly the same.
Had 4 m/cs prior and surgery at the beginning of this pregnancy and am petrified that something will be wrong. It doesn't matter how much people tell me not to tho k about it or how low the risks are. I've found Mumsnet is actually a great distraction, and watching OBEM on 4od is keeping me excited about baby, but distracted from my own thoughts!

Good luck for next week! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now