Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Travel Systems... For a Mini Cooper boot.

(42 Posts)
OnNaturesCourse Wed 05-Apr-17 22:18:30

A challenge, right? We do plan to go try a few out but was wondering if anyone has suggestions? Id prefer a carrycot position too. Unfortunately we cant change the car!

goldielocks29 Thu 06-Apr-17 07:08:38

Nature, I'll be interested in this too! Just got my BFP so plenty of time to plan for me, but I was looking at finances last night and changing my car doesn't really look like much of an option for me

user1480264544 Thu 06-Apr-17 07:17:57

I had a BMW 1 series coupe and trying to put a travel system in and take it out was a nightmare!! I'm not sure how the boots compare inside tho. I had an icandy travel system and within a few days it was so scratched and damaged from me trying to fit it all in.. and also if you go shopping for example forget trying to fit anything else in the boot with it!! I ended up just having to use the base with the car seat for ease and then as soon as I could change to a maclaren kick down.. with number 2 on the way I've made my partner upgrade to a Audi q3 .. plenty of boot space grin may not of been much help but I would just say don't go for an expensive pram as if you have a smaller boot it will damage x

NapQueen Thu 06-Apr-17 07:20:27

Armadillo Flip. Folds down so so small with the seat attached. Even smaller without. You will likely have to put the carrycot part of any travel system in the backseat anyways.

Aliveinwanderland Thu 06-Apr-17 07:24:27

Even with a larger boot it is still easier to put the carry cot on the back seat because it needs to go on top of the frame so you end up having to put it on the floor while you collapse and load the frame in first.

Quinnies go quite small but I'm not sure if you can attach a carry cot. I think you can.

Go to mothercare or mamas and papas and try loads out.

samatamfabahaba Thu 06-Apr-17 07:37:43

We got the iCandy Peach cos one of our cars has a really small boot and it fits with room to spare when it's folded down, and you can do it with one hand (I've been practising, apparently I need a hobby)

Sunshinegirl82 Thu 06-Apr-17 07:38:40

You could look at the bugaboo bee, iCandy Rasberry and armadillo flip, I think those are the smaller options!

Sabsy1 Thu 06-Apr-17 07:46:13

Don't spend too much on a travel system. I spent £1000 on an icandy, even though it packs quite small, it's heavy to lift and as soon as my little one starting sitting I bought a second hand stroller of eBay and only use that as it makes life so much easier. Quinny zapp fits even into a smart car.

vfoster Thu 06-Apr-17 08:40:32

We spent a fortune on a travel system and then only used it until my daughter grew out of the car seat attachment. I barely used the actual carry cot or seat. We then bought the Maclaren to go on holiday just before she was one. It was brilliant and we used it right up until she was around 3 (she now refuses to sit in a buggy!).
The Maclaren says 'from birth' though I don't know if I'd feel comfortable putting a newborn in it. You can't spin it round so you wouldn't be able to see the baby.
I'm due again in July and I'll probably use the travel system with the car seat for a little while then change to the Maclaren a lot earlier! We have decent boots in our cars but I just didn't see much use in the travel system!
This is a rambling post...basically try not to spend a fortune on a travel system as you may not get that much use out of it. If I'd do it again I think I'd get a second hand travel system with a new car seat and then get a good buggy 😃

OnNaturesCourse Thu 06-Apr-17 09:51:40

Id never use a stroller (the umbrella fold ones) as I just think they look uncomfortable and cheap. Sorry, just my feelings. I've got a cheap Red Kite buggy for my godkids and it's a dream to push. It's chunky and only just fits in my boot. Only thing is strictly it's not from newborn nor has any carrycot or car seat feature.

I've looked at the Easywalker.. One apparently fits in a mini boot and has a collapsible carrycot. Kicking myself as I can't remember the name now.

welshweasel Thu 06-Apr-17 09:57:14

If I had my time again I wouldn't bother with the travel system at all. I'd buy a birth-4 car seat and leave it in the car then get a pushchair that's suitable from birth without a carrycot such as the bugaboo bee, babyzen yoyo or armadillo flip. We had an iCandy Peach, barely used the carrycot as DS hated lying flat, found the car seat too heavy to lug around for long and found it really annoying that it didn't fold in one piece. Have sold it now and bought a nuna pepp which would have been a better choice from the start to be honest.

welshweasel Thu 06-Apr-17 09:59:15

It also sounds ridiculous but I'd seriously consider changing your car. Assuming it's a 3 door mini you've got, the design of the doors and seats makes it an utter ballache getting the car seat in and out of the back seat and if you wanted to do extended rear facing it would be nearly impossible!

Sunshinegirl82 Thu 06-Apr-17 10:07:29

The whole thing is so tricky because we have an icandy peach and I love it! Use it everyday and don't find it a hassle at all. We do have a mclaren as well for dh's car but I'm never as happy with ds in it as I like him parent facing. DS is 9 months and I can't see us moving over to the stroller full time for a long while yet.

I think for everyone who doesn't use a travel system and prefers a stroller there will be someone who used it loads. Tricky part is knowing which camp you might fall into before baby arrives!

OnNaturesCourse Thu 06-Apr-17 10:14:15

As said, we can't change our car. We have looked into that and can not even consider a trade in until into next year. It's just not a possibility.

We already have a from birth car seat in the back, thanks to the godkids. Fully understand the hassle getting them in and out but it's doable. It's just something we have learnt to live with. Unfortunately when it's rear facing hardly anyone fits in the passenger seat so it's gonna be tight but we are stuck with it.

We would use the other car seat for grandparents car we think.

Mini has ISO fix points so something has to fit... Even if it's a nightmare.

And to think.. I was so happy with my mini when we got it last year!

Sunshinegirl82 Thu 06-Apr-17 10:18:50

Maxi Cosi do a collapsible carrycot I think? Might be worth checking out the Stella which I think is their system? I have no personal experience of it but it might fit your criteria.

Sunshinegirl82 Thu 06-Apr-17 10:20:30

Crossed post, if you can trade in next year you could probably manage with the infant carrier for the first 9 months/year and then reassess?

OnNaturesCourse Thu 06-Apr-17 10:27:14

We could, but a trade in next year would be a major fall in finances... As it would include a early buy out fee which would be calculated at the cars current value. It's a top spec car in great condition so it would be costly, plus if we trade in we could be stung with high miles charge if we choose to go to a different brand (it's a funny lease contract or something)

So although it's possible next year, my sensible money head says if we can make it work we should hang on to the car as long as possible. Plus we've done it with the godkids (seat, buggy, weeks shopping, nappy bag etc) Id just like something a bit nicer, matching and organised.. If that makes sense?

Sabsy1 Thu 06-Apr-17 10:35:25

I felt the same about cheap looking strollers (hence why I bought brand new icandy peach 3), but after 6 months it just wasn't practical anymore, especially as we fly quite a lot.
If there's a baby show near you (we went to london excell) you can test them all and there's a lot more choice than in mothercare/John Lewis etc.

WhingingTulip Thu 06-Apr-17 10:36:37

Easywalker Mini - designed especially for Mini's!! I had one for my then car which was a Fiat 500 and could put the chassis and carrycot in the boot. The Easywalker Mosey is the same but without the mini branding.

http://www.mothercare.com/prams-and-pushchairs/easywalker-mini-pushchair/psD2634.html

Sunshinegirl82 Thu 06-Apr-17 10:38:04

I know the type!

We have a cybex sirona which isn't massive by erf standards. You could also look at getting the maxi cosi pebble plus and the two way fix base then look at the two way pearl? We did this and have the pearl in oh car. Most of the travel systems will take the maxi cosi seats, or you could try the maxi cosi pram?

welshweasel Thu 06-Apr-17 10:38:04

Flying is the other reason we ditched the iCandy. Just not practical. I used a sling a lot in the early days as well which really made the carrycot a waste of money.

OnNaturesCourse Thu 06-Apr-17 10:41:55

Yes! The easywalker mosey... That's the one I seen!

OnNaturesCourse Thu 06-Apr-17 10:44:23

https://www.tesco.com/direct/easywalker-mosey-2-in-1-pram-berlin-grey/157-5418.prd?source=others

Anyone used this?

WhingingTulip Thu 06-Apr-17 10:48:37

We still love our Easywalker btw. It looks so neat and is lovely to push with a decent basket and the seat will definitely go up to 3-4 years. DS is 11 months and very tall and over 13 kilos so very happy we chose something with a good weight limit too!!

Allshadesofpinkie Thu 06-Apr-17 11:00:01

We had a big pram but never took it in the car. Just used a sling or pop up stroller type when out in the car. Depends on lifestyle/where you live etc so might not suit you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now