Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nausea and nutrition help

(12 Posts)
Onlyonce Wed 05-Apr-17 20:47:54

Am 7 wks with dc2. Nausea kicked in last week. It lasts all day. I work Ft and have 3 year old DD. I cant bear the thought of food apart from white toast, apples and boiled sweets. Baby cant possibibly be getting the right nutrition can they? I'm taking pregnacare but really can't face anything i cook for dp or DD.

arbrighton Wed 05-Apr-17 20:50:57

Your baby will take what it needs from your reserves and what you eat for these (hopefully) few weeks during the nauseous phase isn't all you're going to eat for 40 weeks so baby will get what they need.

I have read though that pregnacare made lots of ladies more nauseous. You could try straight folic acid and straight Vit D tablets instead. And that will save you HEAPS!

rebecca2727 Wed 05-Apr-17 20:52:28

Hello I understand for the 1st 9 weeks I just ate toast rice and drank milk I'm 10 weeks now and I'm starving and eating everything particularly ready salted crisps your baby will take everything it needs from you so don't worry smile

Onlyonce Wed 05-Apr-17 20:56:23

Last pregnancy i did just take folic acid and D. Did have a few bad spells but not like this. I might switch to another brand or just do same as last time. I'm just worried about the baby being ok

mummabubs Wed 05-Apr-17 21:00:53

Baby will be fine smile as others have said at this stage they take all necessary nutrition from your reserves, the only things they can't get from you are folic acid and vit D, hence needing to take the supplements smile My diet has been just like yours for the last 5 weeks due to nausea (now 13.5 weeks) and I've been reassured many a time that it's fine at this stage 😊 x

Tumtitum Wed 05-Apr-17 21:01:39

Another one saying baby will take what it needs from your stores, you might feel rubbish but baby will be fine! And once the nausea goes you can use it as an excuse to eat anything and everything to restock your reserves!! grin

janeje Thu 06-Apr-17 22:45:09

I tried a bunch of different prescription drugs. None of them worked as well as no to morning sickness tea. I made sure to steep it at least 5 minutes.. and I actually sipped on it throughout the day. That was the best way to keep my nausea at bay since mine wasn't just morning sickness. At first I added honey but by day 2 I didn't need it. I like strong tea so the stronger the better for me.

vfoster Fri 07-Apr-17 10:34:46

I had terrible nausea for my first trimester. I had the same concerns so asked the midwife. She said just eat what you can, when you can and don't worry too much as long as you're taking the vitamins. She even told me not to worry about eating healthily, just what I could keep down!

CherriesInTheSnow Fri 07-Apr-17 12:49:25

I was going to post this today too! Am 9 weeks today and nausea has gone from being intermittent to pretty much constant, and like you I can only handle bland refined carbs and some sugary things.

I was super worried too so glad to hear how good these little things are at taking what they need from us. I have found a few things are helping me balance the foods my nausea requires with the food my baby requires:

Drinking nutrients - I luckily am finding fruit quite refreshing but sometimes munching on it is too fibrous and I can't stomach it - but I can happily make homemade smoothies. I add readybrek and yoghurt to help balance the sugar hit, and take small servings throughout the day.

Take your pregnancy vitamins at night - especially if you are taking Pregnacare! I was using the Superdrug ones as when I looked at the labels they actually had a few more of the vitamins I knew I wasn't getting enough of - they didn't make me feel nauseous at all but when OH picked me up some more vits, he got Pregnacare and they make me feel very very sick for an hour or so after taking.

Nut butters - sorry to mention if this makes you feel sick but I am able to stomach nut butters really well (but not nuts - again the chewing makes me feel sick) but they are packed full of nutrients and healthy fats - especially hazelnut butter smile

Pasta - I can also eat pasta fairly well still and can have a healthy pasta sauce by softening some carrot, celerery, and fresh tomatoes and blending them up. Can then add finely diced onion and throw some mild cheese in there, and you can get a lot of veg in that way.

I've also been drinking Horlicks in the evening as it's very soothing and has lots of vitamins and minerals in it. Good luck, hope this passes for you soon smile

Onlyonce Fri 07-Apr-17 18:59:18

Well things have taken a turn. I was very unwell and feeling faint and headaches. Went to the doctor and my blood pressure is low so she has given me meds. I already had some but made no difference. These second lot seem to really help. They keep the nausea to the point i can cope with it. I of course worry about impact of these on the baby but i couldn't cope any more. I've switched to seven seas too but haven't taken them yet. Gave myself a day off

EssentialHummus Fri 07-Apr-17 19:06:35

flowers OP. Eat/drink whatever you can keep down, baby will be fine - they're only the size of a blueberry at this point!

I don't think I had more than 500 cal per day at any point in the first trimester, and I'm still off meat at 19 weeks.

CherriesInTheSnow Fri 07-Apr-17 21:36:36

Aww sorry to hear you've been so poorly OP sad That's great that the meds are working, I'm sure they wouldn't have given you anything that could harm the baby. Make the most of your more bearable nausea and get some well deserved R&R if you're feeling faint flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now