Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Brown discharge worried!!

(13 Posts)
periwinkle25 Wed 05-Apr-17 18:47:35

I'm 11 weeks almost 12 and have had brown discharge tonight, is this common or something to worry about, doctors didn't seem very interested and told me to carry on as normal ( typical male) I have my 12 week scan on Tuesday but absolutely petrified that something is wrong, is this normal or something to be worried about? I had a scan at 8 weeks due to the same reason and saw the heart beat

user1474439326 Wed 05-Apr-17 18:58:30

Well the good news is I had this with my pregnancy and everything was fine, but of course anything is possible. Usually bright red blood is a flag, and brown ish stuff is just old stuff getting chucked out as your pregnancy progresses.
When I had this, and had already had an early scan like you, and seen heartbeat, the woman told me if you have seen a heartbeat and are past 8 weeks then your risk of mc is as low as it is after 12 weeks. Most miscarriages that happen before 12 weeks may never have had a heartbeat as not many are offered early scans.
Hope this helps and fingers crossed xxx

periwinkle25 Wed 05-Apr-17 19:32:13

Thank you for Your reply it's very reassuring, I am so worried, also the sicky feeling has gone off tonight so I'm extra worried!! Xxx

mum2be2boys Wed 05-Apr-17 19:44:29

I had brown discharge in my first pregnancy and everything was fine!

I also had brown discharge at 11 weeks and 4 days in my second pregnancy and unfortunately it wasn't good news (sorry, don't want to worry you further) BUT I also had really bad pain in my side which wouldn't go, all of my symptoms suddenly stopped and I had a niggly feeling something was wrong.

I phoned the gp (who was useless) so I then phoned the maternity unit at the hospital who got me in for a scan in the early pregnancy unit. Do you have something similar in your area?

I hope everything is ok xx

periwinkle25 Wed 05-Apr-17 20:26:54

Thank you for your replies, my scan is Tuesday would you take time off work and rest till the scan or carry on as normal? Xxx

mum2be2boys Thu 06-Apr-17 09:41:26

How are you feeling today? Hope the symptoms have eased and you are feeling ok xx

Katmeifyoucan Thu 06-Apr-17 09:44:09

It is normal to have brown discharge coming up to the 12 week mark. I had it with all of my pregnancies and they were all fine. I understand your worry but carry on as normal.

mineallmine Thu 06-Apr-17 09:48:02

I had brown discharge at 11 weeks also and was hysterical. When I rang the clinic (an ivf pregnancy) I was told only to worry if there was bright red blood. I think it's common enough (but very scary)

periwinkle25 Thu 06-Apr-17 11:20:33

Thank you for the replies, I had a scan today and saw the heart beat and little one kicking, so relieved and happy, thank you for your support grin xxx

mum2be2boys Thu 06-Apr-17 13:14:06

That's brilliant news, glad all is ok :-)

Lemondrop09 Thu 06-Apr-17 13:23:09

I had brown discharge at 11 weeks, 4 days before my 12 weeks scan. NHS (understandably) wanted me to wait until my scan but i was worried sick so legged it to a private clinic and had a scan. Everything was fine and I felt a lot better afterwards. As said above, brown is often old blood working its way out

Glad you're scan went ok smile

mineallmine Thu 06-Apr-17 14:12:54

Great news x

user1474439326 Thu 06-Apr-17 21:13:52

Yay!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: