Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Underactive thyroid 11 weeks

(8 Posts)
Natalie2900 Wed 05-Apr-17 15:54:50

Can anybody help me.
I'm having a real nightmare with my thyroid. It was at 0.4 so my doctor reduced it and it went to 1.4 this was all ok. ( I realised 0.4 is ok but my doctor has no clue! Have now changed doctor) anyway was tested again two days ago and got the results back today and my tsh is 9!!!!! I am panicking so much I had a miscarriage before and I have scan in Friday! I don't even want to go. I'm so scared my thyroid is going to cause another miscarriage. Is 9 ok? Not ridiculously high to cause any damageS doctor has made my go up another 50mg and have another test in 2 weeks. If only the first doctor knew what he was talking abou and didn't change anything to start with!!!!! Wish I could sue him personally :-(

Chamonix1 Wed 05-Apr-17 16:04:53

"The recommendation is that during pregnancy thyroid function tests are regulated such that serum TSH is kept in the lower half of the normal range (<2.0)."
From this website-
http://www.btf-thyroid.org/projects/pregnancy/202-thyroid-in-pregnancy-information

Do you see an endocrinologist ? When I was pregnant I did.
I'm only 5.4 weeks and my dose was upped immediately by 25mcg.
I have to have monthly tests to keep my TSH within range.

Eeeeek2 Wed 05-Apr-17 16:07:29

9 is too high, but I think that the doctor has upped medication since? Doses vary between each person, what is your dose now?

If the doctor has indeed upped your medication then you're back on the correct treatment as a blood after 2 weeks to recheck levels is great.

Try not to worry, I have a five month old sleeping here and my levels went up to 9 at 8 weeks. Are you nearly 12 weeks pregnant now? If so the risk of your thyroid causing a problem is reduced as the baby will have its own thyroid gland working at that point.

Eeeeek2 Wed 05-Apr-17 16:11:27

Read nice guidelines and don't be afraid to quote them and insist on them.

I didn't get referred to endocrinologist as my levels were under control before a referral could be made and I felt like my midwife knew the deal. Every gp I had to educate with the nice guidelines as they had not come across a pregnant underactive thyroid lady.

Natalie2900 Wed 05-Apr-17 17:29:00

Well.. when I found out I was pregnant I just upped my dosage by 25mg myself because I kind of knew you did that. Anyway my doctor said it's to much and I didn't ask for my level. So reduced by 25mg then took a blood test at 9 weeks and it was 1.4 so they were happy then a blood test 2 weeks later brings me to 11 weeks and my level is 9! So my doctor has upped my dosage by 50mg. It upped itself from 1.4 to 9 with no change in dosage.. it's a slow changer
Though and can take months to stabilise after a change.
I'm praying that 9 isn't enough to cause another miscarriage. My new doctor referred me to encrologist ( can't spell it ) and they were happy because I was 1.4 now I'm 9 he has referred me again because it's bouncing around so much! I just wish he was my doctor from the start. I hope that you are right and because I'm 11 weeks they baby parent need it as much as couple weeks ago. Xxx

Natalie2900 Wed 05-Apr-17 17:29:50

P.s even my doctor asked which doctor asked my to reduce my intake when I was at 0.4 and 1.4!! It was fine!!

Eeeeek2 Wed 05-Apr-17 18:05:18

I hope all goes well with you both, by the way the worry never goes away even when the bean is here you'll find something to worry about.

Welcome to motherhood!! grin

Eeeeek2 Wed 05-Apr-17 18:06:16

Some doctors like to keep it in the middle of the normal range even though that makes no logical sense!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now