loader

Talk

Advanced search

Pregnancy and measles ( vaccine)

(8 Posts)
SpwJd Wed 05-Apr-17 06:39:35

Hi.
I'm 13 weeks pregnant with my 3rd.
Off to Italy in a few weeks and now after seeing something on 'this morning' about there being a fair few out breaks of measles in Italy ,I'm worried I may catch it whilst over there. Both my boys have had the mmr ( youngest only had one so far) but
I've checked with my doctors as to whether I've had the measles vaccine but they can't tell me straight away. Apparently they need to 'search the files ' at the warehouse which can take some time.
Am I over reacting ?
I don't think you can have the vaccine whilst pregnant either!
I'm such a worrier. Will end up worrying the whole time we're away.
Any advice?
Thanks

eurochick Wed 05-Apr-17 07:06:32

Honestly, I think you are overreacting. The chances are that you've either had measles or the vaccine, and you are presumably not going to be going into schools or anything like that. Can your parents help? My mum still has my childhood vaccine book.

SpwJd Wed 05-Apr-17 07:15:07

My mum can't remember for sure. I'm going to keep on to see if they can find it in my records to put my mind at ease.
I was hoping I was over reacting. I'm just a worrier. I definitely haven't had measles so fingers crossed I've had the vaccine.
My sister wasnt immune when she had a test Prepregnancy ( she lives abroad and they do a blood test before) so that makes me think we haven't had the vaccine as it's unlikely she wouldn't have had it and I did. 😳

anotherdayanothersquabble Wed 05-Apr-17 07:40:14

NHS info which states that if you were born after 1970, it is likely you have had a measles vaccine and that the MMR should not be given in pregnancy (it is a live vaccine).

scaevola Wed 05-Apr-17 08:02:00

You should not have MMR during pregnancy, because there is a theoretic risk to the foetus - not from the measles component, but from the rubella component (though in cases where it has been given eg when the pregnancy was not known at that point) there have been no cases of harm)

Can you ask your parents if you had all the childhood jabs? As the measles one rolled out in the late 60s, you'd have to be over 50 for it not to have been available.

vfoster Wed 05-Apr-17 08:08:35

It's very likely that you had it unless your parents opted out of vaccines.
I was tested for Rubella immunity with my first pregnancy (they used to do it as part of booking bloods when I had my three year old...but don't seem to do it anymore). I had definitely had the MMR as my mum remembered but it just didn't work for me, perhaps this happened to your sister?
I wasn't allowed to have the MMR during pregnancy as PPs have said. During my pregnancy two members of staff in my department fell ill with Rubella and I was in work the whole time; I didn't catch it despite working closely with both members of staff who didn't realise they had it. So, not having immunity doesn't mean you're going to catch anything!
I had an MMR booster before leaving the hospital.
Enjoy your hols!

kikibo Wed 05-Apr-17 10:44:00

Boosters only came in later because they discovered the MMR vaccine wasn't all that effective on one shot. Shouldn't it be possible to have a measles only vaccine though (provided it's allowed, maybe it isn't because it could be live)?

I had a Rubella only shot (as far as I know) when I was twelve because I hadn't had it and I'm still immune at 34 (is routine tested here in Germany). Though that might be because I wasn't a baby at the time I got it. Too early, IMO.

SpwJd Wed 05-Apr-17 19:48:05

Thanks for your replies.
Surgery rang me today and said I had a measles jab at 1 and 10 years of age. Wasn't the mmr but measles and rubella separately.
Good to know I've had some vaccines. Not sure why my sister wouldn't have been immune as she would have had the same vaccines as me. I guess everyone's bodies are different.
Just hoping I'm covered now. It's helped to put my mind at ease at least! 😬

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now