Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Babys born at 36 weeks?

(20 Posts)
harleysmammy Tue 04-Apr-17 21:36:24

I'm 36 weeks and have been told by consultant I won't get to my due date and if I do, she'll be very surprised. They're waiting until 39 weeks to book a c section but they said not to hold on to hope for that appointment. My baby's measuring 42 weeks and I did have polyhydramnios but apparently after my scan today, my levels are normal again thank god. The past few weeks I have had the worst achey hips and when I walk I get shooting pains kinda on my cervix/inside below my bump which I thought was maybe my cervix changing but I don't actually know that. It gets to the point where I have to stop in my tracks for a few seconds to stop the pains but they come back almost straight away. I've always carried low but he's definitely lower now and he is 4/5ths engaged. So I don't think I will make another 4 weeks. The only thing I'm worried about is if I went into labour now at 36 weeks, would he be okay? My nephew was born at 36 weeks and even though he's perfectly fine if not a little small, my sil said he had breathing problems and was in neonatal for a week. My consultant said because I'm a week off term, they aren't worried about me going into labour but now I am starting to worry. Will he be okay if he's born at 36/37 weeks? Sorry if I sound paranoid x

Lovelongweekends Tue 04-Apr-17 21:41:14

37 weeks is counted as full term. Some hospitals do give steroids injections if baby born before 39weeks to give lungs a boost but 36/37 weeks really isn't anything to worry about.

MrsJayy Tue 04-Apr-17 21:43:19

What a worry you sound totally knackered flowers I had 2 babies at 36 weeks either end Dc1 was 36 +3 dc 35+5 youngest was in scibu for a few days eldest was just on the ward back then they didnt get home till they were 5lLbs. Try and rest as much as you can and i am sure your medical team will try to keep your baby as long as they can but sometimes the little beggers decide to arrive try and not worry .

Theweasleytwins Tue 04-Apr-17 21:46:49

I had my DT at 37+4, only problem was my ds had to be in a hot cot for a couple of days and have his blood sugar checked. Both DT had mild jaundice

jerryfudd Tue 04-Apr-17 21:56:09

My twins born at 36 and both perfectly fine and healthy. Ds had a suspected infection so given antibiotics and put in scbu for few days but results confirmed he was fine so returned back to me and we were all discharged by end of week

KERALA1 Tue 04-Apr-17 21:59:17

My gorgeous healthy strapping 8 year old was a 35 weeker - took her abit longer to get hang of feeding in first week but otherwise no issue at - all she is the tallest in her class and has almost never been to the doctors. Good luck x

Sweets101 Tue 04-Apr-17 22:03:01

DD was born at 36 weeks, she had a heated cot for a bit and we both had to stay in for a week but she stayed in with me and was absolutely fine.

willdoitinaminute Tue 04-Apr-17 22:05:28

DS was a 36 weeker and a c section. Boys are more prone to problems early on and DS had very low blood sugar. He had a couple of days in nicu after giving us a scare but recovered quickly. He had to spend a week under lights for jaundice so we eventually made it out after 10days. If you are at all worried about your little one let the midwives know, DS was over 7lbs at birth and they were a little complacent with him which is why he ended up in nicu 48hrs after birth.

GreenGoblin0 Tue 04-Apr-17 22:13:40

4/5ths engaged means that 4/5ths of the head is still above your pelvis so head is not really engaged yet.

how far the head is engaged is also not necessarily and indication of how soon you will go into labour. when I was measured last week at 39 weeks head was 3/5ths engaged as it was the week before. due date today and still pregnant!

FlipperSkipper Tue 04-Apr-17 22:23:10

My son was born at 35+6 weighing 5lb3, I was induced due to pre eclampsia. He spent the first night in an incubator to help his temperature but was with me, and later had to have phototherapy for jaundice. I did have steroid injections at 31 weeks due to threatened early labour, which may have helped him when he was born. He's now 10 weeks and packing on the weight!

DelphiniumBlue Tue 04-Apr-17 22:32:04

My eldest DS was born at a few days less than 36 weeks, breathing was fine. He did have jaundice and needed phototherapy for that - it persisted until he was about 8 weeks old. The effect of that was that he slept a lot, and it took a while to get feeding established because he kept falling asleep on the job. The hospital were very helpful, and let me use an industrial looking milking machine to get the supply going.It also meant I had to stay in hospital with him for about a week ( not SCU, just a normal maternity ward). Jaundice is quite common in early babies I think, best to read up on it to know what to expect, but it's not a big deal in the scheme of things.
DS2 and DS3 were both born at just under 37 weeks and had no problems at all. They were considered term, and were both over 7lbs ( about 3.5 kg) so no worries there.
Hope all goes well for you.

HeadDreamer Tue 04-Apr-17 22:40:24

You do know 37 weeks is full term? DC1 was born at 37 weeks and was discharged the next day. And it's only next day because she was born in the evening.

AreWeThereYet000 Tue 04-Apr-17 22:43:47

Also just to add, you may not be early... all the way through my pregnancy the midwives and consultants thought my DD was going to be early, I was even under the pre term clinic, had consultant appointments every 2-4 weeks and was in hospital at 33 weeks with suspected early labour - my DD came at 40+4. As PP have said 37 weeks is classed as term and statistics show most babies born at this gestation have an excellent chance of been born with minimal concerns if any and hardly any ongoing medical problems. You've already done brilliant getting to 36 weeks if you are at probability of delivering early - you've got this! X

DixieNormas Tue 04-Apr-17 22:45:01

Ds2 was born at 35 weeks and we spent 4 days in hospital just getting the hang of feeding. No nicu or breathing difficulties

Ds3 was born at 32 weeks, spent 4 days in nicu then came up to the ward with me for 6 days and then home. All are different but 36 weeks isn't very prem as 37 weeks is full term

NerdyBird Tue 04-Apr-17 23:06:46

DD born at 37+4, no problems at all. I was taking steroids which could have been a factor, equally she just could have been in a hurry to get here.

jinglebellmel Wed 05-Apr-17 07:59:07

Ds was born at 36 weeks. He was small but basically fine. He had a little jaundice and low blood sugars, breast feeding was a struggle because he was quite sleepy. He failed the initial hearing test done at the hospital and I was worried there was some deafness due to being early - but it turns out lots fail immediately after birth and he was fine.
We had to stay in for 3 days until his blood sugar was stable and while he had treatment for jaundice, but it was just in a private room off the postnatal ward, and actually it meant he got lots of extra checks and we got help to sort out the breastfeeding issues.

If they know you're likely to be early then they may give you steroid injections anyway to help the lungs?

harleysmammy Wed 05-Apr-17 22:27:06

Thank you everyonesmile I know 37 weeks is term, I was born at 37 weeks and I'm obviously fine haha but I think I just panicked because of what happened when my nephew was born at 36 weeks, but I guess that was just a coincidence

TheGrumpySquirrel Wed 05-Apr-17 22:36:20

My DD was born at 35+5 weighing 5lbs 11 and no issues at all apart from a bit of jaundice and sleeping all the time for the first week (she soon got over that part!)

OvO Wed 05-Apr-17 22:43:57

My youngest was born at 35+5.

His lungs weren't great and I should have pressed for steroids for me before he was born.

He had a rocky start but was a happy healthy baby when we took him home at 2 weeks old.

He was a right wee chubby pudding weighing in at 7lb 9.5oz with proper rolls of fat. grin

Chances are all will be fine. Good luck!

MsJolly Wed 05-Apr-17 22:51:33

DD was a crash section at 35weeks. She was tiny though-4lbs smack on. Her breathing was fine, but feeding took ages-she was ng tube fed for ages as was very sleepy. Then it took ages for us to breast feed and get her weight back up to her birth weight as she lost loads after birth-we were in for nearly a month! However, all good now-she's as tall as me and just turned 13!

Good luck, am sure it will be fine, esp as your baby is big already.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now