Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Rhesus negative with rhesus positive baby

(16 Posts)
motherchuckinhen16 Mon 03-Apr-17 19:02:01

Hello
I'm Rhesus negative and just found out that my baby is Rhesus positive through a blood test.
This is my first successful pregnancy and I'm 19 weeks.
Has anyone else been in this situation and did you have any issues? Was the anti D injection ok? Did you have any subsequent pregnancy problems due to producing antibodies?
Thanks
Mother hen

arbrighton Mon 03-Apr-17 19:05:30

I'm booked in for my anti-D in a few weeks but as far as I know (first pregnancy) there haven't yet been any issues due to the Rh stuff.

It's really very common (genetics) so please don't worry

dementedpixie Mon 03-Apr-17 19:07:51

I've had 2 children that were rh+ and I'm rh- . Didn't have any issues related to it and had my routine anti d jabs plus an extra one when I fell and bumped my bump.

StillaChocoholic Mon 03-Apr-17 19:15:27

I'm RH-, had no problems with my first pregnancy or the injections. Currently 40+1 with RH+ baby, again no problems and the injection I've had so far was fine and I'll make sure I get the second injection after I've had baby (if he ever decides to get a shift on!)

SprogletsMum Mon 03-Apr-17 19:22:29

I'm rhesus negative and have had 2 rhesus positive dc. I didn't find out until after the birth but I just had the routine 28 week jab and then an extra one after they were born.
The injection is fine a bit sore when it's done but ok straight after.

museumum Mon 03-Apr-17 19:22:45

I had the antiD but after birth the coombs test was inconclusive due to contamination.
Nobody could decide if ds was jaundiced or not (would have been a symptom) so we had to stay in a day and night longer than necessary waiting for a repeat test.
I'd never even heard of a Coombs test before so I would read up on it if I were you just so you know what they're doing.
All was fine for us btw. The test was ok the second time.

annlee3817 Mon 03-Apr-17 19:28:42

I am negative and my Dd positive. Had the one routine injection during pregnancy and then one a few hours after she was born, all was fine smile

kel1493 Mon 03-Apr-17 19:32:40

I'm negative and so is my ds. I had the injection. It hurt a lot after for me.
I'm sure I'm remembering correctly that you have the 1st injection during pregnancy, then if your baby is positive you have to have another one after the birth, and if your baby is negative you don't have to have anymore. Though I may have got that wrong.

MuffinMaiden Mon 03-Apr-17 19:34:44

Only issue I had was waiting 3 hours for my 1st injection because I was also changing hospital and they had to sort my paperwork!

MamaHanji Mon 03-Apr-17 19:35:38

I'm rhesus negative and had anti-d injections all through pregnancy. You usually only get it at 28 weeks and after birth I think but I had random bleeding throughout (she was fine!) so I had them every two weeks. She is rhesus positive.

My second pregnancy, I didn't bleed so I had one at 28 weeks and one after she was born. Complication free pregnancy, except severe anaemia at the end but that's just my dodgy body.

The anti-d is really not bad. If they do it in the top of the bum cheek it doesn't hurt hardly at all and doesn't ache after. Most places do it In the arm. Still like a short sharp scratch but it doesn't ache for days after like other ones.

I used to have panic attacks at blood tests and injections which I had all the time. I had them so much in my first pregnancy that it's fine now. It's not bad at all.

Try not to worry. If you have the anti-d then it should all be fine!

Bananamanfan Mon 03-Apr-17 19:47:42

I had 2 positive dcs followed by dc3 negative. All ok. DC1 had anti d only after birth with 2 & 3 had it during pregnancy (&after birth with dc2)

motherchuckinhen16 Mon 03-Apr-17 20:00:55

Thanks mumsnetters so much for all your answers, I was feeling a bit concerned about the whole thing, especially after reading there may be more risk in subsequent pregnancies, but am feeling a lot more positive (no pun intended!) about being Rhesus negative now :-)

Dustpan Mon 03-Apr-17 21:31:26

Hi just to add - I'm rh neg and dc1 was pos -- injections etc all fine no prob

However dc1 born with severe jaundice & too sleepy to feed even so hospital stay for phototherapy. My mw later told me bad jaundice can be due to blood type incompatibility. I don't know if knowing that next time would affect how the jaundice was treated, but helped to know

usernjdhkvdgkb Mon 03-Apr-17 22:01:25

I'm rh negative and have 4 children the older 3 are also negative but youngest is positive so day after she was born I was just given a injection, I believe it's to stop problems in subsequent pregnancies

I had the anti d jabs in all my pregnancies and it was fine

harleysmammy Mon 03-Apr-17 22:08:29

I'm rh negative but don't know my baby's blood group until he's born. I've had to have the jab about 6 times that weren't routine because I bumped my belly, even the slightest bump to the belly caused bleeding which obviously means you have to the jab, both when you bump your belly and when you bleed. I was told by my consultant if I bump my belly and don't bleed I still have to have it because it still causes the anti bodies or something, don't know if this is for everyone but from what I googled it seemed right. I've had 8 including the 29 week one and they sting for a few seconds when they go in and they do ache when they've done it for a few minutes but it definitely doesn't hurt for long afterwards, at least it doesn't for me and I have no pain threshold haha. Don't worry about it too much x

Topnotes Mon 03-Apr-17 22:11:51

Ha, my mum is rh- and I am rh+. She had the injection in 1970 when I was born. I'm now a very healthy 46 year old, never had any health problems smile
No problems at birth or afterwards apart from being quite a stroppy toddler, so she tells me grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now