Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How do you cope with going overdue?

(6 Posts)
RedCrab Mon 03-Apr-17 17:20:24

This is DC3. DC1 was 42 weeks and I had a truly awful induction with him. The whole of the last two weeks felt like an enormous amount of pressure to go into labour - though we all know there's not much you can do! DC2 was a fab home birth at 38 weeks. So no pressure, it all just happened as I'd hoped.

I'm now 40+3. Really desperate not to have an induction (discussing a CS at 42 weeks because I am that frightened of the induction process - but not natural labour!)

I feel so depressed, like I'm just sliding into the inevitable. Genuinely feel like I will never go into labour. I keep wishing and hoping and trying to stay calm. I've had so many signs for weeks now. Had a sweep on Saturday where I was 2cm dilated with a very favourable cervix - Bishop's score of 7. So there's no reason it won't happen. And a lot can happen in 10 days.

But I'm just not coping well emotionally with it. I feel so upset. I can't believe I'm overdue again and need to get my head together. I'm super active because I have a 4 and a 2 year old so I don't think it's inactivity. And as each day passes, I become more despondent.

glitterglitters Mon 03-Apr-17 17:35:02

I remember being utterly miserable when I went overdue with dd1. I made sure I planned people to see and do for each "overdue" day. Silly thing like a nail appointment or meeting a friend for coffee. Nothing too strenuous but something to look forward to.

The one day I was really looking forward to (coffee and lunch with a friend from out of town) did the trick. Sod's law dd decided that was the day to arrive.

I've already planned out ideas for this one in case I go overdue again.

glitterglitters Mon 03-Apr-17 17:35:36

It's less to do with inactivity I'd say and more something to focus on that's fun. If that makes sense?

RedCrab Mon 03-Apr-17 18:08:59

Yeah totally. A big believer in happy hormones encouraging labour on/ adrenaline scaring it off. Spent a lovely day in the sunshine today chilling out with friends and all our children. Unfortunately my children, as wonderful as they are, drive me a little potty too wink

glitterglitters Mon 03-Apr-17 18:10:31

Oxytocin all the way 👌🏼👌🏼👌🏼 Lol I've only got the one so far but totally know what you mean. 😁

InsaneMummyOfThree Mon 03-Apr-17 21:11:59

I had similar experience, was induced with Dd1 and it was horrific. Swore I would never be induced again. Dd2 was a planned cs as I was so scared. Third time round I wanted to try and labour so was desperate to go into labour naturally. I had acupuncture and it worked. I ended up going into labour naturally and it was so lovely. My contractions were no where near as painful/ full on as with the induction and I was so glad I got to experience the natural build up of contractions and my waters breaking. I had no pain relief and really enjoyed the experience. Unfortunately it ended in a c section but that was due to complications with my baby and his health. I would recommend acupuncture, the process of acupuncture itself was an enjoyable, relaxing experience and I felt like I was doing something to help. I could feel my womb contracting when the needles were in. Hope this helps. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now