Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

How do you cope with going overdue?

(6 Posts)
RedCrab Mon 03-Apr-17 17:20:24

This is DC3. DC1 was 42 weeks and I had a truly awful induction with him. The whole of the last two weeks felt like an enormous amount of pressure to go into labour - though we all know there's not much you can do! DC2 was a fab home birth at 38 weeks. So no pressure, it all just happened as I'd hoped.

I'm now 40+3. Really desperate not to have an induction (discussing a CS at 42 weeks because I am that frightened of the induction process - but not natural labour!)

I feel so depressed, like I'm just sliding into the inevitable. Genuinely feel like I will never go into labour. I keep wishing and hoping and trying to stay calm. I've had so many signs for weeks now. Had a sweep on Saturday where I was 2cm dilated with a very favourable cervix - Bishop's score of 7. So there's no reason it won't happen. And a lot can happen in 10 days.

But I'm just not coping well emotionally with it. I feel so upset. I can't believe I'm overdue again and need to get my head together. I'm super active because I have a 4 and a 2 year old so I don't think it's inactivity. And as each day passes, I become more despondent.

glitterglitters Mon 03-Apr-17 17:35:02

I remember being utterly miserable when I went overdue with dd1. I made sure I planned people to see and do for each "overdue" day. Silly thing like a nail appointment or meeting a friend for coffee. Nothing too strenuous but something to look forward to.

The one day I was really looking forward to (coffee and lunch with a friend from out of town) did the trick. Sod's law dd decided that was the day to arrive.

I've already planned out ideas for this one in case I go overdue again.

glitterglitters Mon 03-Apr-17 17:35:36

It's less to do with inactivity I'd say and more something to focus on that's fun. If that makes sense?

RedCrab Mon 03-Apr-17 18:08:59

Yeah totally. A big believer in happy hormones encouraging labour on/ adrenaline scaring it off. Spent a lovely day in the sunshine today chilling out with friends and all our children. Unfortunately my children, as wonderful as they are, drive me a little potty too wink

glitterglitters Mon 03-Apr-17 18:10:31

Oxytocin all the way πŸ‘ŒπŸΌπŸ‘ŒπŸΌπŸ‘ŒπŸΌ Lol I've only got the one so far but totally know what you mean. 😁

InsaneMummyOfThree Mon 03-Apr-17 21:11:59

I had similar experience, was induced with Dd1 and it was horrific. Swore I would never be induced again. Dd2 was a planned cs as I was so scared. Third time round I wanted to try and labour so was desperate to go into labour naturally. I had acupuncture and it worked. I ended up going into labour naturally and it was so lovely. My contractions were no where near as painful/ full on as with the induction and I was so glad I got to experience the natural build up of contractions and my waters breaking. I had no pain relief and really enjoyed the experience. Unfortunately it ended in a c section but that was due to complications with my baby and his health. I would recommend acupuncture, the process of acupuncture itself was an enjoyable, relaxing experience and I felt like I was doing something to help. I could feel my womb contracting when the needles were in. Hope this helps. X

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now Β»

Already registered? Log in with: