Talk

Advanced search

Measuring 5-6 weeks at almost 8, experiences?

(7 Posts)
orangeblackbird Mon 03-Apr-17 17:08:20

I've had some heavy spotting so had an internal scan.

There was a strong heartbeat but I'm measuring 5-6 weeks (3.4 mm) where I should be 8 weeks tomorrow. I got my positive pregnancy test on 2nd march so it can't be hugely wrong.

I have anther scan in 10 days.

I just wondered if there's any experience? Can measurements be out or growth spurts happen?

I'm prepared to loose the pregnancy. I'm more worried about lack of growth at an early stage causing problems in a way.

GreedyDuck Mon 03-Apr-17 19:58:46

I'm sorry you're having a worrying time of it.

My story doesn't have a happy ending I'm afraid. Scanned at 8+4 due to a previous loss, but measured 5-6 weeks. I was 100% on my dates as I'd been using OPKs. There was a faint heartbeat at that point. Scanned again ten days later and the hb had gone and the sac was beginning to lose shape. I started miscarrying a few days later and then had surgical management.

That there is a strong heartbeat is positive, and it is tricky for sonographers to get totally accurate measurements when the embryo is so tiny, so hopefully you may have better luck, and it will have caught up by your next scan.

I drove myself mad googling for positive outcomes, but the general feeling I got was that measuring that far behind was unlikely to end well. So the mantra is prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. Good luck.

Ekphrasis Mon 03-Apr-17 20:56:45

Thanks greedy that's really really helpful actually. And after doing exactly that (googling) I think I'm coming to that conclusion. I'm more afraid of what might not be properly developing due to halted growth than mc; I expected this result at the scan but the measuring small bit has thrown me.

calimommy Tue 04-Apr-17 02:25:27

It's incredibly small at this stage. This pregnancy I was measuring 5 weeks when I should have been 6. Then measured 7+2 when should have been 8. Then measured 9+4 when should have been 10 and finally caught up fully by 12 weeks and measured exactly that.
I've had two other babies which measured correctly.
I've also had two losses: one measured 5/6 weeks but was an empty sac at 8 weeks, I lost that naturally a week later. The other was fine but I had a SCH which caused the loss at 10 weeks.
I would say that because you had a heart beat your situation is more positive than my first loss and that another scan in two week might shine more light in the situation. So much happens in a very short time at this stage. It's a long two week wait but it's worth it. X

calimommy Tue 04-Apr-17 02:43:01

Sorry just to add, I had chromosomal testing done with this pregnancy and everything was very low risk so the growth at the start was likely either a few days off or incorrectly measured.

Ekphrasis Thu 06-Apr-17 10:04:04

Thank you for your support, I mc yesterday at home. It wasn't too bad as I think the pregnancy had begun to fail a few weeks ago. But thank you anyway.

calimommy Thu 06-Apr-17 15:26:20

Sorry to hear that love x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now