Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Leave my bump alone!

(12 Posts)
missymousey Mon 03-Apr-17 14:17:36

I've just been attacked by a little old lady in a shop trying to paw my bump. She just kept coming at me - it was like a zombie movie! I know I'm over-reacting, but I was as shaken as if someone had tried to grope me. Anyone else feel like this?

I was quick and took her hand instead the first couple of times, but she had about 5 attempts and totally ignored my "please don't do that" before I managed to actually back off far enough to escape. I'm 39 + 5 so hopefully not long now, but I'll be wearing a big coat next time I go out in public!

PastysPrincess Mon 03-Apr-17 14:21:35

I HATED this about being pregnant.

mummabubs Mon 03-Apr-17 15:00:21

I'm only 13.5 weeks and hating this already- MiL has taken to stroking my tummy excessively (mostly still bloat at this stage I'm sure) and even pulled my jumper up in the middle of the street whilst yelling for her husband to come and stare and my bump. She's a bit sensitive so I'm trying to think of a way to politely say that I really don't like being touched unawares... any advice for that one? 😂

OnNaturesCourse Mon 03-Apr-17 15:25:35

People have taken to patting my 5 week bloat pouch... Makes me feel horrific, I'm already conscious of it (I'm super bloated and not fitting my normal clothes) 😟

harleysmammy Mon 03-Apr-17 15:30:13

I'm 36 weeks and My Nan has a habit of lifting my top whenever she feels like it to feel my belly - not even over my t shirt! She's constantly tells me "lift my shirt up" when she wants me to show other people, what the difference is between over my t shirt and under it is, I have no idea but it drives me insane! I don't mind people feeling the baby kicking if I say they can or if they ask once or twice but the constant reaching for my belly instead of actually acknowledging me drives me madgrin

Italwaysworksitselfout Mon 03-Apr-17 18:12:55

Mil tried this with me when dh anounced he had finally felt the baby kicking. I let her that one time but told her the only people who were allowed to touch the belly were dh and dd (who thinks it gross). I'm not a tactile person so she should have guessed I would not be happy. My little dn got a feel at the weekend as we don't see each other very often and she is super excited to be a big cousin

Creatureofthenight Mon 03-Apr-17 18:18:54

If a stranger attempted to feel my bump I'd tell them to piss off. I don't tolerate being felt up any other time and am certainly not going to start now I'm pregnant.

Redyellowpinkblue Mon 03-Apr-17 18:19:33

Nobody has tried to touch mine! It's huge and very noticeable, well completely unmissable actually.... am 31 weeks. Maybe I appear too frosty to even attempt it (resting bitch face or something?!) grin

glitterglitters Mon 03-Apr-17 18:23:56

I was saying yesterday how I've not had anybody paw at me yet this pregnancy (27 weeks).

Lo and behold I've had four people touch me in the 24 hours since. And it's always someone who is a friend, but not a hugely close friend so it's awkward to say fuck off but you're sort of relieved it's not a stranger. 🙈

feettothestars Mon 03-Apr-17 18:32:24

Just to add balance, you know, this never really bothered me that much. I think because I find bumps such an alluring and wonderful thing. And whilst I wouldn't touch one unsolicited I understood that they are just a magnificent touchable thing. So when peoples hands acted without my permission I just thought, well I get it. It never made my skin crawl or anything.

Foncy87 Mon 03-Apr-17 18:36:43

I've had some friends touch my bump so far (I'm 22 weeks) and I haven't minded it too much but I wouldn't let strangers get near me! If anyone lifted my top up I would go mad!

Also, for some reason It annoys me when people instantly look at my belly when they see me and do the 'awww' face!!

RaindropsRoses Mon 03-Apr-17 22:53:21

Eurgh word of my pregnancy got round the office just before our Xmas do and that night once everyone had a few drinks (cue sober me being grumpy in the corner nursing my oj) they all wanted a grope. Every single photo being taken they would out a hand on my bump and found it hilarious when I told them to piss off (in a jokey way but meaning it). I was about 15 weeks then and just felt bloated. Funnily enough at 32 weeks now i actually look proper pregnant no one has tried to touch it even the MIL! Although she does get me to stand up and turn sideways so she can eye it up every time I see her. I do it to humour her, don't think I'd be polite if she started touching it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now