Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How to keep going at 35 weeks?

(16 Posts)
StripyDeckchair Mon 03-Apr-17 13:02:45

Just over 35 weeks. Pregnancy has not been the most difficult nor the smoothest (FTM - I'm simply going by experiences I have heard about from others). I have a medical history, which means I occasionally see a consultant. I had a lot of sickness from first into the second trimester, some MH issues and have had carpal tunnel now for some weeks, though the exercises and wrist splints are helping. Couple of UTIs as well. Some insomnia. And a couple of (perfectly fine) growth scans.

Yesterday all of a sudden I had extreme back and pelvic pain. Could hardly walk, was up to the wee small hours with the pain before I finally managed to drift off for a while. I was booked in to see MW today anyway. Baby is apparently starting to engage and is back to back, so head potentially pressing on my sacrum. Really like my MW and she gave lots of advice about massage, using my birthing ball, how to sit, how to lie in bed, etc. and offered to refer me to the physio (though they may not fit me in in the next few weeks). But the (very kind and not at all negative) undertone of all of this was 'this is late pregnancy, unfortunately there is a limited amount we can do'.

Now I just feel completely overwhelmed. I still have three weeks+ left before my mat leave (technically go on leave in 3 weeks but definitely won't have everything done by then, so not sure what I will do), though I am now working exclusively from home. I feel desperate. The house is tip, I'm in pain and tired and I still have a huge work project to finish. And it feels like there is still ages and ages to go.

I'm just finding it upsetting to be in this kind of limbo - nothing is actually happening and probably won't for a long while but at the same time it all feels too much already. I know I can carry on working but part of me feels angry and upset about it, though I don't know what I'd do with myself if I stopped (which is impossible anyway - I have to finish this project!). DH wants to help but he has a lot on at work too and is often out late into the evening. I don't have any friends locally as we recently moved.

Feel really at the end of my tether and worried about my MH.

Any tips for how to keep going, mainly mentally, but also physically, when it all feels too much?

StripyDeckchair Tue 04-Apr-17 11:24:41

Bump. Sorry - I know it's long. sad

AyeAmarok Tue 04-Apr-17 11:35:00

Sorry you're feeling so rubbish. End of pregnancy is really unpleasant. I had awful anxiety too so I definitely sympathise.

I went right to 42 weeks recently, so my advice is to prepare yourself for going the full distance, and if it's shorter, then bonus. I kept working up to 39+5, to pass the time as much as anything, although I was so uncomfortable by then I rarely lasted to 5pm.

Can you swim? That might be the most manageable, passes a lot of time too as it's a bit of a faff.

WaitroseCoffeeCostaCup Tue 04-Apr-17 11:39:49

It's horrible I am 37+3 with number 4. Supposed to be on bed rest with crippling SPD but It's Easter holidays here so not sure how they expect me to comply with that...
I have had crap pregnancies with all of mine so I understand how you're feeling. It feels like it will never end, but I promise it will! And then you will forget how hideous it was (you must do, it's the only way I can explain being on number 4!)
Good luck and hang in there!

Obsidian77 Tue 04-Apr-17 11:40:55

Unfortunately there isn't a lot they can do, I know that this isn't what you want to hear. It's difficult to rest and be comfortable but keep your feet up, do try swimming and rest as much as you can.
I would suggest you do complete the project, just to have something to focus on.
It's tough but it won't last forever, even if it does feel that way.flowers

Jemimapiddleduck Tue 04-Apr-17 11:49:34

I'm in the same boat - so incredibly over it. Also went to 42 weeks with my precious children. No advice just general sympathies . I should be sleeping but I cant

AnaMaria88 Tue 04-Apr-17 11:56:17

I feel lime this at 28w 😢 with SPD symptoms and a phisio appointment 2 weeks later! Been through a lot with this pregnancy, everyday I wake up with the mood of doing nothing, I m sensitive, angry, anxious and all I think about is the day I ll have my baby...healthy!

StripyDeckchair Wed 05-Apr-17 09:46:59

Thanks for the replies. I just feel so down and useless. Today have woken up really blue and struggling to get down to work. Seriously thinking about what it would mean to bring my ML forward but then don't want to waste that time. If work didn't make me so stressed I wouldn't consider it.

INeedNewShoes Wed 05-Apr-17 09:54:36

I'm in a very similar situation OP. I'm 35 weeks and have had problems with my hips in the last few weeks and have been feeling low. I have more work to finish then I possibly can get done.

I've somehow managed to let go of the work stress. I'm working hard (7 days per week) to do what I can but I just don't have the wherewithal to deal with the stress so I've had to let the stress go. I'm doing as much as I can every day but with what I can't get done then so be it! I've made a spreadsheet showing where every element of the project is so that someone can take over where I've left off when the time comes.

Keep things in perspective. Your baby and you are the most important things now.

FrenchFrys Wed 05-Apr-17 10:22:26

I'm 37 weeks and so fed up. I have lots of anxiety issues which means I am constantly worried about babies movement which means that I feel every single second of this pregnancy! I am so bored on maternity leave and it's literally been two days!! I try and come up with an excuse to walk into town every day just for something to do! Obviously this is very unhelpful advice if you have spd. You all have my sympathies and hopefully we will be meeting our healthy babies soon!

WellErrr Wed 05-Apr-17 10:24:44

Can you get signed off sick for acouple of weeks?

Flowerydems Wed 05-Apr-17 10:29:11

I finished at 36 weeks but had 2 other dcs. My advice is, buy a gym ball to bounce on while watching telly, it really helps the pelvis pain. Try not to get stressed about the house, it'll still be there when baby's here and sleeping just do a 15min quick tidy of the rooms you use to help yourself settle.

But maybe take a week off just now? Do you have any hols due to you before you go off?

mrscrocopop Thu 06-Apr-17 18:27:58

I'm finishing at 35 1/2 weeks.
I don't see it as a waste of time at all. It's the last time I'll get to myself for a long long time!!! I think looking after your physical and mental health is very important and it sounds like both of yours are suffering with the current set up.
X

StripyDeckchair Sat 08-Apr-17 11:48:48

Thanks for the responses. Things are no better with work - worse in fact - but have looked into it and can't take my mat leave early now without getting signed off sick, which I've decided I'm not prepared to do. Unfortunately I came down with a cold and a UTI at the same time at the end of this week. Am on antibiotics and trying to rest this weekend (but will still probably have to work a bit). Keep trying to convince myself they don't have time to fire me or discipline me before my leave! "Hiding" from some work tasks as well at the moment, which I know is never a good idea. Just feel overwhelmed. Good news is that back pain has really eased off - I have been using my birthing ball and that seems to have helped a lot. Just so tired - I could stay in bed all day. 36 weeks tomorrow.

StripyDeckchair Sat 08-Apr-17 11:51:15

Btw - really impressed by how everyone is doing. You have my sympathy!

artisanroast Sun 09-Apr-17 18:32:21

I know you must feel frustrated but try your best to enjoy these last few weeks. I packed my bag at 35+5 and sat down as I was feeling tired and stood up to my waters breaking. I drove myself to hospital (husband was down south) and gave birth that night.

I would have done anything to keep my little girl inside a few more weeks.

I was one of the lucky ones as my daughter wasn't in SCBU but many were.

I think what I am trying to say is many people complain about the end of your pregnancy but maybe it's a pleasure to get to the end?

☺️

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now