Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can you feel cervix dilating?

(5 Posts)
harleysmammy Mon 03-Apr-17 13:01:58

I've just seen my consultant and she didn't give me much of an answer so I'm coming here instead. I have polyhydramnios and a big baby so I do have extra weight which makes my hips hurt more and I know that's the reason but the past 2 weeks at least I have been feeling sharp shooting/shocking pains like inside the vagina (sorry) kinda on my cervix and sometimes it goes up the front of my bikini line but definitely not in my belly. I was having contractions a few weeks ago that showed up on the monitor and they were quite frequent but they put it down to irritable uterus. It happened a good few times when I was on the monitor for a couple days so I was wondering if they've started to make me dilate? I'm 36 weeks and have been told I'm so low and because of the fluid and big baby I might not go to my due date, so I just want to know really if it's the start of anything??

calimommy Tue 04-Apr-17 03:20:12

With my second I knew I was dilating at 35 weeks, I was about 2-3, I had an achy sensation in my cervix. I was 37+5 when I had baby. I was the same with my first (about 2 cm from 36 onwards) and I was induced at 39 weeks for baby-reasons.

GreenGoblin0 Tue 04-Apr-17 08:13:30

shooting pains are normal and not related to cervix dilating IME.

SockQueen Tue 04-Apr-17 10:31:45

I had "fanny daggers" as another thread on here affectionately nicknamed them, from about 35 weeks. DS didn't put in an appearance till 42!

Funnyonion17 Tue 04-Apr-17 10:38:19

It's cramps and contractions that dilate the cervix not shooting pains. So the irritable uterus cramps may have a bit. Mines currently at 2cm ish at 33 weeks, had terrible irritable uterus.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now