Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Neurotic or following advice of NHS website?!

(15 Posts)
bigegg2 Mon 03-Apr-17 11:13:12

Has anyone else had the impression their midwife thinks they are paranoid about their health? Mine referred to me as a worrier because I have asked a few questions (it's my first baby and I'm 32 weeks now). Overall I've found the lack of info shocking, I also live in a really rural area with no ante natal classes so the only place I can get information is the midwife or NHS website or other googling but that is high risk.

As an example, I'm itching quite a lot but it is getting warm now and I do have sensitive skin but I have had itchy limbs and wrists and feet so I have requested an appointment with the midwife to discuss but I am feeling from past comments that she may think I'm being over anxious but if you start reading about itching in pregnancy it says it could be normal or it could be the sign of something serious so how do you know unless you ask? I'm finding this with a lot of things and every time I read anything on things site or say look at a thread on Mumsnet, it always points to the worst case scenario and says to check it out, so I'm wondering do other people check these things out and feel that they are being neurotic, or do other people just assume all is well?

Another example is that is mentioned a while ago I couldn't feel the baby moving as much, it turned out it was to do with the positioning of the placenta and now I know his rhythm i am not concerned but when I first started feeling him move the websites and apps all said any change should be reported so I just thought I was following the guidelines rather than being paranoid.

LookImAHooman Mon 03-Apr-17 11:21:53

You are following the guidelines and you've done exactly as you should. It's difficult to know sometimes, isn't it?

Excessive itching later on in pregnancy can be a sign of Obstetric Cholestasis, which affects the liver and should always be checked out promptly. OTOH it could well just be the change in weather and nothing to worry about but you do need to check. Has your midwife referred you?

Did your hospital not have any antenatal classes? How are you feeling about labour etc.? Really difficult position but remember Dr Google is not often your friend flowers

bigegg2 Mon 03-Apr-17 11:43:19

Thanks yes this is exactly what I was thinking, probably the weather but could be the serious thing so I am waiting to hear. I left a message this morning and haven't heard back yet.

Nope no ante natal where I am (it really is very rural), we will stay with relatives nearer to a hospital when the baby is born but day to day stuff is pretty much non existent.

It is difficult, I had investigations early on into a couple of other things that turned out to be nothing but they wanted to check out and that was exhausting although for the best. I see the itching as the same thing, I'm not going to panic at this stage but will ring again tomorrow if I don't hear back. I remember a doctor saying to me years ago that if you hear hooves it is probably a horse - you wouldnt assume it is a zebra.

My mum thinks I'm being unhinged worrying over every thing. I am definitely going to lay off google and I don't think that the pregnancy apps that I have are any help as every day they have a little article and it is often about stuff to look out for!

blue2014 Mon 03-Apr-17 12:21:45

I'd say keep asking if you have questions - better to ask and be sure than not ask I think

Wolfiefan Mon 03-Apr-17 12:25:04

I don't think you are unhinged at all. I would think any medical professional would rather see you and find nothing wrong than have you ignoring reduced movement or itching.

DaisyS91 Mon 03-Apr-17 12:31:03

OP, I suffer from anxiety and obviously this is written on my notes. I try so hard to follow the guidelines and be a good patient but then I feel any worries I do have are dismissed as anxiety. I also have an anterior placenta and have found the guide lines around movement quite scary

flumpybear Mon 03-Apr-17 12:53:45

Never ever stop asking if you're worried - how can they help understand your pregnancy if you don't tell them - it's daft that midwives should even try to put you off asking!!! so ask away - re the itching, definitely speak to her about cholestasis - she's got a duty of care. Also if people say you're a worried just say 'yep, but at least I ask and check- so going to be a good mum aren't I!'
Fwiw I had the same midwife for all my pregnancies (losses and live babies) and she called me a 'worry wort' but nicely, and never in such a way that I'd not want to ask ... she was lovely!

bigegg2 Mon 03-Apr-17 14:32:36

Thank you all, I feel a bit less embarrassed about wanting to ask questions. I will call again in the morning if she hasn't got back to me.

Daisy - I completely sympathise, having an anterior placenta seems to make the movement feel completely different depending on how the baby is laying in my experience. I am hoping that as the weeks go by there is less space for him to hide and this worry will diminish a little.

Springhassprungagain Mon 03-Apr-17 14:51:01

I agree with previous posters, much better to ask. In my orange book there is a table which shows when to ask the midwife/when to go to gp might be worth checking in yours to see if you have the same? Someone said to me it's more important to be a good parent than a good patient so that's the mentality I'm trying to take when I feel silly asking something!

PowerofThree Mon 03-Apr-17 14:59:13

My notes have a list of symptoms that you should contact a midwife/GP/hospital about ASAP if you experience them - one of the symptoms on the list is persistent itching. So I wouldn't worry about contacting them about that!

I have been having lots of itching on my hands and feet so called midwife unit end of last week. They said it could be heat and also that they didn't think I need calling in straight away as I have a routine midwife appointment start of this week. BUT they also said that I should tell the midwife at that appointment and she will do a blood test to check up. If I didn't have the appointment already booked I think they would have brought me in for the blood test.

bigegg2 Mon 03-Apr-17 15:28:52

Thanks, my itching isn't really persistent just from time to time and it has been really warm recently, I've also had eczema throughout my pregnancy, I don't think there is any need for me to get an emergency appointment but I will try to see her this week and I do feel more confident about asking questions having read some of the responses on this post.

Italwaysworksitselfout Mon 03-Apr-17 18:03:10

I've had bad itching all through this pregnancy, more so at night. I thought I'd mention it to the midwife who gave me a row for not saying anything sooner. It not anything serious just hormones but it's really hard to tell what you should be concerned about and not to be so concerned. You can't win. I think if your symptoms are making you anxious then you should always say something

m33r Tue 04-Apr-17 07:22:29

I am a really anxious person and I just declare it in a sort of jokey way but I declare it at every appt in case they have forgotten who I am. If they are ever snooty about it, I say it quite seriously. Love PP comment on 'better to be a good parent than a good patient!' X

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Tue 04-Apr-17 07:30:20

No you're not being over anxious to ask. ICP is easy enough to rule out with a simple blood test. I've suffered itching with all my pregnancies mainly on my palms & soles. They've always just given an extra blood test or 2 to double check my bile levels, even though from my past history we know it's unlikely to be icp. As they said to me last time it's always better to know for sure.

bigegg2 Tue 04-Apr-17 07:49:36

Thanks all, I have an appointment today to check it out! It will be good to (hopefully) rule out another anxiety and be another step closer to meeting my little baby! I can't wait to put all the pregnancy worries - the itching, the food restrictions, the aches and pains - behind me!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now