Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy hunger

(24 Posts)
Hobbitch Mon 03-Apr-17 10:05:29

I'm 24 weeks and constantly ravenous. I stuff my face all day. So far today I've had 2 slices of toast with cheese, half a sandwich and a small tub of popcorn. It's only 10! Anyone else feel like a bottomless pit?

DaisyS91 Mon 03-Apr-17 10:51:06

Me 🙋🏻. I had major food aversion until about eight weeks ago and since then I haven't been able to stop eating. I've had cereal and toast this morning and I'm still starving and I have an Easter egg staring across the room at me! I'm sure being at home on By myself on maternity is just going to make it worse 🙈

JJ1612 Mon 03-Apr-17 11:01:48

I find that I'm absolutely starving in the morning...then from about 2 ish I can't stomach anything. I do have really bad sickness tho and find it hard to eat full meals so have to pick at food

Hobbitch Mon 03-Apr-17 11:43:06

Glad to know I'm not alone! Daisy I had a huge breakfast yesterday too, then craved a bacon roll all morning. Though to be honest I have that craving most days. Lunch in 20 min!

JJ that must be a nightmare! How many weeks are you?

JJ1612 Mon 03-Apr-17 13:00:16

36 weeks and it's been like this for most of my pregnancy give or take the odd few days. Only 4 weeks to go so I'm looking forward to being able to eat without feeling horrendous after it!

Hobbitch Mon 03-Apr-17 15:15:18

That sounds utterly horrible, you deserve a medal. Hope the baby arrives bang on due date or even a few days early so the nightmare ends!

batteredflaps Mon 03-Apr-17 15:19:59

i posted this exact thing when i was about the same weeks as you! it was like that for a couple of weeks then got a bit better and i wasn't constantly in the fridge grin

SpookyPotato Mon 03-Apr-17 15:44:53

I basically spent the last two trimesters with food in my hand, and now baby is here reality has set in.. grin I want to carry on pigging out sad

kel1493 Mon 03-Apr-17 15:49:32

I didn't. I ate the same amount as before I was pregnant.

Hobbitch Mon 03-Apr-17 19:06:58

Good! I feel less alone.

kel I was the same in my first pregnancy, no increase in appetite and very few cravings. This time I could eat a horse for every meal.

KittyWindbag Wed 05-Apr-17 03:05:54

I wake up with a burning NEED for something sweet. Often it ends up being a biscuit or chocolate.

And I could eat bread all day endlessly.

Hobbitch Wed 05-Apr-17 07:52:27

Kitty Oh yes the bread. I just had two slices of toast followed by two chunks of baguette! Carbs are everything.

I do find myself craving sweet things more as well. Don't usually have a sweet tooth. That's just reminded me I have half a packet of oreos in the cupboard, going to take that to the office with me!

EyeDrops Wed 05-Apr-17 09:00:32

I found I would go from feeling perfectly fine, food not even crossing my mind, to ravenous, raging hunger in only a minute flat.

Once we got to a restaurant for lunch, ordered, and I was so hungry I had to call the waitress back and ask her to bring something, anything, IMMEDIATELY, that I could eat, because I couldn't wait for what we'd ordered to arrive confused I was quite embarrassed but it was worth it!

highinthesky Wed 05-Apr-17 09:04:18

Ladies, fill up by all means, but not on the carbs. (Craving these during gestation doesn't help the baby). I say this as someone with a professional interest in GD.

Find something to eat protein in it instead.

10storeylovesong Wed 05-Apr-17 09:39:18

The only time I don't feel sick is when I'm eating - I'm going to be massive.

FrenchFrys Wed 05-Apr-17 09:41:49

I'm already on my second bowl of coco pops this morning blush

Hobbitch Wed 05-Apr-17 11:50:48

high I'm sure you mean well and if my midwife tells me to watch what I'm eating I will, but it's not like we're talking about smoking or drinking or anything... I'm already careful to follow the guidelines for forbidden foods (even though all I want is a whole camembert to myself) so if I feel like carbs I'll have them.

10 I was like that in the first 3 months. How many weeks are you? Hope you feel more human soon!

sprite25 Fri 07-Apr-17 18:33:18

Another bottomless pit here! I'm constantly hungry and dread to think how much weight I'm going to put on with this pregnancy. If I don't eat as soon as I recognise that I'm hungry then I quickly feel starving and feel nauseous. Whenever anyone says anything about me 'eating again' I tell them my reasoning is this: I'm the one who's got to go through the pain of pushing this baby put so I'm going to bloody well enjoy myself while I can!

10storeylovesong Fri 07-Apr-17 19:55:49

hobbitch I'm 14+5, I feel slightly more human than in first tri but still constantly nauseous. I usually eat a very low carb, high protein diet but since being pregnant it's turned completely on its head.

ElisavetaFartsonira Fri 07-Apr-17 20:05:59

I had that in one of mine, and I was the size of a house by the end. No GD, just colossal. Found protein very hard to stomach too, it just wouldn't go down. Nightmare and took forever to shift the weight. Complete change from my other when I could barely manage to eat a thing!

haveacupoftea Fri 07-Apr-17 20:18:12

I've went through phases of being ravenous. I think it was at 9 and 20 ish weeks. I would wake up at 3am for coco pops. I've been obsessed with coco pops the whole way through.

32 weeks now and just had a big feed and needed a lie down after blush you cant fit as much in when baby starts to get big.

I'm only 7 weeks but carbs are all that are keeping me sane! I'm fantasising about a giant buttered baguette, filled with roast potatoes.

There's a York Roast Co nearby and I'm so tempted to go in tomorrow and see if they'll make me one.

Lunalovepud Fri 07-Apr-17 20:25:00

Second pregnancy here and I have been starving in both - whether it is psychosomatic or not I have no idea but I am really hungry, ALL OF THE TIME. grin

I tend not to deny myself anything (not on the naughty list) when I'm pregnant either so I have been stuffing bread, baguette, cheese, biscuits, chocolate and ice-cream - usually those things would be on strict ration for me. It's only a few months and I eat healthily too, I just allow myself extra treats!

haveacup I completely understand coco pops - do you eat them usually? I haven't eaten a single Rice Krispie that wasn't a Rice Krispie cake since I was about 15 but this pregnancy I have been shovelling them down for breakfast!

Hobbitch Mon 10-Apr-17 22:34:18

My hunger has abated slightly though I still get phases where I want to empty the fridge. Luckily I don't seem to have put on too much weight yet but watch this space!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now