Talk

Advanced search

Anterior placenta mums, do you get movement everyday?

(12 Posts)
millyhopemum Sun 02-Apr-17 14:13:46

Hi girls,

I have an anterior placenta and I'm 24+1 and FTM.
I started to feel LO about 2 weeks ago and the the movements were very sporadic and only felt him at first at night sitting watching tv.

Then I suddenly felt him in the morning on Thursday and thought it's the start of me feeling him everyday and more often.

My midwife said I should start to feel him more and more from now on. But I'm still going for long periods of time with no movement when sitting still.

And he hasn't quite developed a pattern yet. I felt him this morning after sitting still for an hour.
But nothing since, it's driving me crazy.

Am I still too early to feel movement every hour of the day? Is it my placenta masking the movements.?

I get ready to call the mat unit everyday to report it and then I may get the odd flutter. It's driving me mad with worry.

Xx

millyhopemum Sun 02-Apr-17 14:18:42

Just to add to that I have a very active job and so I know I won't feel him when I'm active but when I sit to rest I don't feel him straight away.
Is this normal?

DaisyS91 Sun 02-Apr-17 15:33:37

I have an anterior placenta but I wasn't told I had one till 24 weeks. I had lots of issues around movements around 24-29 weeks but the midwives said it was because she was so small still she could turn round and kick towards my back. It's only been in the last month or so (32-36 weeks) that I've recognised a definite pattern but I think that is fairly late. Sometimes I have to lay down quite a while before I feel movement though.
If you are ever worried about movement you should contact the triage they will be able to put your mind at rest :-)!

millyhopemum Sun 02-Apr-17 15:54:40

Thanks for the reassurance.
He's moved strongly a few times now, after me prompting him a little.
I guess I'll wait a little longer to get a pattern from him.
I have the midwife on Thursday so I think I'll have an in depth chat with her about him.
Thanks for the response. And good luck grin x

10Betty10 Sun 02-Apr-17 19:19:00

I'm 25 weeks with low lying anterior placenta and I haven't got a pattern either- have been told this is really normal with anterior and nothing to worry about- midwife said some women don't get a pattern until as late as 34 weeks so is fine. I only feel movement on my far left and far right sides, almost by my hips.

Bloody frustrating though, isn't it!

Mamabear14 Sun 02-Apr-17 20:00:16

I had such trouble feeling movement with DD that I could see my belly move and not feel it from inside! I did have polyhydramnios too so I had the placenta and a swimming pool of water in there. It was only right at the end when it was more turning and shuffling than kicking that I felt her properly.

DaisyS91 Sun 02-Apr-17 20:08:02

Mama bear I am the same! When my house was being renovated I was staying at my mum's and I would get in such a panic I would lay with my mum's hand on my tummy 😳 Because she could feel the baby on the outside and I couldn't feel her moving around inside me! Really bizarre

MabelTheCow Sun 02-Apr-17 22:15:15

I have an anterior placenta too. I've only had movements every day since 28 weeks. Most of what I can feel is massive stuff that DP can feel too. Hopefully that means a strong, healthy placenta cushion is just getting in the way. I've been told to call the unit anytime (after I hit 28 weeks) I've not felt something by tea time.

sailorcherries Mon 03-Apr-17 10:13:25

I have an anterior placenta and have only started seeing a definite pattern in the past few weeks, I was 33 weeks yesterday.

He tends to be more active between 10 and 12ish, then possibly at 4ish and then again at dinner time and bed time (which is now as close to 9 as I can haha).

Before this point I could go all day and feel nothing, panic and then get a burst of movement as I was lying in bed.

If you are worried try a very cold drink and lay down, fizzy juice or sweets. The sugar is supposed to get them moving.

sailorcherries Mon 03-Apr-17 10:14:08

Also, my OH has only felt baby move twice because of this. I can feel more movement on the inside than outside.

mycatloveslego Mon 03-Apr-17 10:30:22

I have an anterior placenta and am 38 weeks now with DS2. I can often see my belly move but can't feel it, and DH has never been able to feel anything. I had the same with DS1.
It does get a bit easier when you're a bit further along because there's more of a pattern, the movements are less like flutters and you can see them! I spend a lot of time sitting with my hand on my bump to count the kicks!

BitchPeas Mon 03-Apr-17 10:41:21

I had an anterior placenta with my second and didn't feel much until after 24 weeks. I would only feel her properly if I laid down on my side and really concentrated. It drove me mad! Ended up spending hours a day lying down in silence to reassure myself blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now