Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Ridiculous sense of smell

(25 Posts)
tulip22 Sat 01-Apr-17 18:49:28

Please can someone reassure me that the ridiculously sensitive sense of smell that I have developed since becoming pregnant will stop once I've given birth? So many smells make me feel sick and I can smell things that no one else can. For example, after washing up, unless the crockery is rinsed with running cold water and dried straight away I can smell residue from washing up and it smells foul when I next use the plate/mug! The list is endless and as well as being grim for me I think it is probably making me pretty horrendous to live with!

arbrighton Sat 01-Apr-17 19:11:32

My sense of smell calmed down after the first trimester, I'd say it's more or less normal now at 26+3

I think it's an adaptation to make you avoid anything harmful during early pregnancy but obviously less important now we don't live in caves

tulip22 Sat 01-Apr-17 19:43:27

I am 32 weeks and it is stronger than ever! I hope it isn't permanent!

arbrighton Sat 01-Apr-17 20:26:47

oh, right! Sorry- wasn't sure from your OP. And yeah, that would be difficult

10Betty10 Sat 01-Apr-17 20:53:51

Am watching with interest- I'm 25 weeks and have the sense of smell of a sniffer dog. Is getting ridiculous- I can even tell if OH is using a saucepan with plastic handles on the hob as it smells different to the metal handled one! From 2 rooms away!

10Betty10 Sat 01-Apr-17 20:56:04

Also OP- have you managed to go off ice from freezer trays? I can only handle bagged ice as tray ice now smells like breaded frozen food to me!

Watto1 Sat 01-Apr-17 20:59:57

I had to avoid a certain work colleague as his aftershave made me heave when I was pregnant! Thankfully it became bearable again when I went back to work.

Lalalax3 Sat 01-Apr-17 21:00:43

It doesn't last! Two days after birth of DS1 I cried with joy because everything smelt normal again.

10Betty10 Sat 01-Apr-17 21:12:34

mrsgembles thank god for that! Just another 15 weeks of feeling like a human truffle pig to go for me then!

Slacktacular Sat 01-Apr-17 21:15:59

I was able to identify different bacteria in patients' wound infections with unnerving accuracy when pregnant with DC1. Not a super power I particularly relished at the time, but was a good party trick

MrsChopper Sat 01-Apr-17 21:18:52

I had this throughout pregnancy and it disappeared once I had given birth. I used to think the smell of our fridge was vile. Also someone's aftershave at work legit smelled like cat piss.

Apart from that I quite miss my super smelling ability

MOIST Sat 01-Apr-17 21:19:41

DD1 smelled of wet dog when I was pregnant. Poor little perfectly clean year old DD1. Stinking of wet dog. Every time I bather her I'd puke. For 10 solid months.
It went away once DD2 finally got there.

KanyesVest Sat 01-Apr-17 21:24:47

Dd is nearly 7 and I still have dog-nose! I could smell that dh hadn't closed the lid on the bin the other day...it was in the utility room, I was in the porch hmm

10Betty10 Sat 01-Apr-17 21:49:41

slacktacular I feel there is a premise for a straight to Netflix series in that ability right there...

MrsGotobed Sat 01-Apr-17 21:55:09

I had an incredibly heightened sense of smell when pregnant with both DC.

The smell of a fridge being opened was horrendous (all those mixed odours), sharing a car with a work colleague who wore perfume was unbearable and on one memorable occasion DP farted and it made me throw up.

Thankfully it went back to normal after I gave birth (especially as DP is a prolific farter! grin)

2ducks2ducklings Sun 02-Apr-17 05:49:15

10betty- I went off freezer ice with my first child, 12 years later and I still can't stomach it, even when not pregnant! I can't cope with anything out the freezer. I have to hold my breath when I open my ice lollies and then wash my hands after I've thrown the wrapper away. The smell of our bedroom makes me throw up or at least heave (we're going through some serious renovation work throughout the house at the moment and something in here makes me physically ill). My mom sent some Easter eggs up for the kids the other day and I could smell her cooking on the boxes.
I can smell my husbands burps before he's finished them. I can't cook anything at all. I can only eat something if I've not had to prepare it.
It's horrendous and definitely makes me miserable and miserable to put up with.

Lalalax3 Sun 02-Apr-17 09:00:10

I'm ten weeks right now and have a cold, it's almost a blessing not to be able to smell

SarahOoo Sun 02-Apr-17 09:25:42

I had this soooo bad early on, I am 39 weeks now and it's calmed down but still can't use the blue Fairy Liquid (using a fragrance free random one!) and cigarette smoke is THE worst! It never bothered me before if I had to walk past someone smoking but now it's unbearable.

At one point I had to get fragrance free shampoo and conditioner. I haven't done my nails for months, don't use heat protector or serum on my hair either. I don't wear perfume at the moment either. My morning routine has sped up haha!

Can't stand most cleaning products still!

I am hoping it goes away but a colleague of mine told me hers stayed...sob!

SarahOoo Sun 02-Apr-17 09:26:48

Oh MrsGoToBed my husband's fart made me throw up too...he thought it was hilarious 😂

Spadequeen Sun 02-Apr-17 09:30:21

Oh I remember that.

Why is it never the nice smells you get? For me I could smell dog shit before I could see it. It was hideous

Thanks fully it's gone.

Sylvannas Sun 02-Apr-17 09:33:54

Mine went buy there are a couple of shower gels that I've gone off of permanently. The smell reminds me of how sick I felt and I still gag! Sadly I couldn't go anywhere near my yankee candle collection either sad

I still don't like the smell of all the candles together but individually I love them again.

It does go away but there may be a couple of smells you really can't stand for a while.

BeyondThePage Sun 02-Apr-17 09:36:27

Mine are 14 and 16 now, and I still get it - but only a few days before a period - I'm guessing it is hormonal...

Slacktacular Sun 02-Apr-17 13:05:38

@10Betty10 ...like House but more...pregnant?'

RainbowChasing Sun 02-Apr-17 15:12:02

My sense of smell is ridiculous too. I didn't have this with my first pregnancy but making up for it this time. The most offending smell, the one which makes me gag the most, is the dishwasher freshener that my dh bought a few weeks ago. Every time I open the dishwasher I'm coughing and gagging and attempting to throw up. It's just vile. I removed it a day or so ago but the smell is still there confused

10Betty10 Sun 02-Apr-17 19:04:46

slacktacular hmm. I now have a rather disturbing image of a delightfully cranky, third trimester Hugh Laurie waddling about and saving the day with his amazing bacteria scenting skills... I'm not ashamed to say, I would totally watch that show.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now