Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Small baby??

(5 Posts)
TwinkleStars15 Sat 01-Apr-17 18:17:36

Hi all,

We had a 4D scan today (which was lovely) and baby weighed 2lbs 1oz. Im 27+2.

Her head is on the smaller side (26+3) but still normal, her tummy is also small (25+3) and her leg size exactly 27+2. They calculated her weight and said she is on the smaller side and plotted her on the 10th centile. They had no concerns.

I'm absolutely fine with all of this but just confused because the internet sites say that at 27 weeks baby should weigh approx. 2lbs, which she is - so why is she small???

Oysterbabe Sat 01-Apr-17 18:45:55

I guess they mean her head and tummy are small even though the weight is normal?
My DD was on the 0.4th centile at birth. She's 50th now at 15 months.

TwinkleStars15 Sat 01-Apr-17 18:53:35

I guess so, although they did say her weight was on the smaller side, hence the 10th centile. I'm not worried just curious x

HopeAndJoy16 Sat 01-Apr-17 19:05:25

It depends if they're plotting the weight on a standardised growth chart or a personalised one which takes into account your BMI, ethnicity etc. Baby may be on the 10th centile (which is still classed as normal!) on a standardised chart but on a personal growth chart may be higher or lower. I would mention it to the midwife at your 28wk appointment, they'll start measuring fundal height from this appointment anyway and be keeping an eye on baby's growth xx

TwinkleStars15 Sat 01-Apr-17 19:27:04

Thanks hope It wasn't a personalised one, they don't even know how much I weigh so guessing it's the standard chart.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now