Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Scans

(3 Posts)
confuseddot Sat 01-Apr-17 09:21:58

I have a scan on Monday. I'm unsure how far I am maybe 8 or 12 weeks due to being on the pill. I'm going to a Sexual health clinic which the doctor referred me to as I don't know how many weeks I am.

I've never been pregnant. Do they do an internal scan or an ultrasound? What are your experiences of both?

Lemondrop09 Sat 01-Apr-17 11:41:42

I've had both. At 12 weeks, they'll probably do an external scan. Go with a full bladder and wear two pieces that can be pulled apart to show your belly (like jumper and trousers). It's easy, squirt of gel and run a scanner over you. There's some mild prodding and you might be busting for the loo as they poke you! But it's fine, and lovely to see your baby.

Internal scams are more likely for 8 weeks. If they decide to do an internal scan, they'll ask you to empty your bladder. Mine wasn't too bad. Lay back and covered my thighs with a big sheet of paper towel. She didn't even have to look to put the scanner in, it felt more dignified than I thought it would. Again, they just move a long pole around a bit. Not fun but not uncomfortable, and I was too busy looking at my baby on the screen smile

I'd expect they'll try external first, then internal, although they might not. I'd plan for external scan (full bladder) as it's easier to empty if they decide to do internal, but much harder to fill!

confuseddot Sat 01-Apr-17 11:56:37

Thank you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now