Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Any HR about?

(5 Posts)
RaindropsRoses Fri 31-Mar-17 20:46:27

I'm due to start maternity leave from my proper full time job in 4 weeks time. I have another casual job behind a bar, basically they txt me available shifts at the beginning of each month and I say which ones I want to do (if any). I presume once I'm on leave I won't be able to do any shifts at the casual job as it would affect my maternity pay from main job? Am I right? Obviously the 2nd job is all done properly tax and NI paid and everything but I won't get maternity pay as it's casual work.

SarahOoo Sat 01-Apr-17 08:43:11

When on maternity leave then no, you cannot work at the same time whether it's a first or second job as it will affect your maternity pay (KIT days with your main employer are exempt).

AbbeyRoadCrossing Sat 01-Apr-17 08:56:08

This might help
www.maternityaction.org.uk/advice-2/mums-dads-scenarios/pregnant/rights-for-parents-with-more-than-one-job/

Also you are entitled to maternity leave from your casual employer too if you meet the criteria. It depends what you earnt and when but worth checking.

gruffalocake2 Sat 01-Apr-17 10:36:17

You can work your second job. The link Abbey posted is useful (see quote below). Government websites say the same. You could ring ACAS if you need more specific advice.

'If you only qualify for SMP from one employer, you can continue to work for the employer who does not pay you SMP, providing you were employed by that employer in the 15th week before your baby was due.'

RaindropsRoses Sat 01-Apr-17 15:45:14

Oh that's interesting thanks! I presumed I wouldn't be able to work at all. I've been employed in the 2nd job for 7 years now so certainly before 15th week! I don't meet criteria for smp from them because I only do usually 2 or 3 shifts a month (around 50-70 per shift) so definately not £115 a week. I will double check but that would be really good if I can do the odd shift maybe twice a month once I'm ready for some extra cash without iflt effecting my smp from main job. Thanks ladies smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now