Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I've just heard my baby's heartbeat on a Doppler at 7w 1d!!!

(15 Posts)
DuRezidal Thu 30-Mar-17 21:55:58

I have just got it back from a friend, so thought I would give it a go never imagining I would hear it!

I heard my daughter's at 7w 6d, so had planned on trying at the start of next week but so so happy that I could hear it loud and clear. It was only for around 30 seconds and then it swam off but it was so clear!

bramblina Thu 30-Mar-17 21:56:51

Crikey!! How lovely!!

DuRezidal Thu 30-Mar-17 21:58:19

I was going to video it but my phone was in charge and I didn't want to move as it was just such a lovely thing to listen to!

I shouted my husband but by the time he came up it had wriggled off.

Salmonpinkcords Fri 31-Mar-17 06:55:38

Wow that's amazing. I didnt know you could hear the heartbeat at 7 weeks. Was it as you to find?
I'm 7+3 but too nervous to try this in case I couldn't hear anything

DuRezidal Fri 31-Mar-17 07:06:10

It took about 5 minutes but once you find it it's very obvious!

DaisyChainsForever Fri 31-Mar-17 16:31:19

Where did you buy your Doppler from OP?

Happyandhungry Fri 31-Mar-17 18:07:43

On another note, How do you know its a girl at 7 weeks?!

SweepTheHalls Fri 31-Mar-17 18:11:09

It's much more likely to be your heart beat. I don't want to be a grump, but home dopplers really aren't recommended as they can give a false sense of security that all is well, when it takes a professional to hear it accurately. Sorry! Congratulations on your pregnancy flowers

Northernlurker Fri 31-Mar-17 18:11:23

Please be very cautious using Doppler so early, or indeed at all. Unless you are medically trained to use it you really aren't equipped to analyse what you hear and both false concern and false reassurance are distinct possibilities. I don't want to be a total wet blanket and I wish you every happiness with your pregnancy but please do be cautious.

DuRezidal Fri 31-Mar-17 18:34:20

It is definitely the baby's as I timed it like I did my previous pregnancy so 100% the baby's heartbeat.

My previous pregnancy was a girl, no idea what this one is :-)

DuRezidal Fri 31-Mar-17 18:34:45

@Northernlurker I am trained to use them :-)

Northernlurker Fri 31-Mar-17 18:39:45

Oh excellent, I'm pleased to hear that. There are a lot of threads on here from people who aren't trained though and I'm sure you will appreciate why such people need to be realistic about their ability to use the medical equipment properly in this context.

GreenGoblin0 Fri 31-Mar-17 18:47:24

Op are you trained to use them on humans or animals (I remember from your previous threads you work with horses) and are you medically trained?

not even a midwife would check for a heartbeat using a doppler at 7 weeks. it's lovely that you found it (if you did) but as others have said it's not advisable to use them especially so early.

DuRezidal Fri 31-Mar-17 20:14:07

I took the recording to the midwife today and she was very impressed I had found it and said it was a lovely strong heartbeat. When I explained how I normally use dopplers and scanners (on horses) she then understood how I could find it :-)

I knew all my training would come in useful for something other than inseminating mares.

It helps that I know the sound the sac makes on a Doppler, that's the only reason I could find it.

DuRezidal Fri 31-Mar-17 20:16:24

@Northernlurker absolutely... it's like in my profession, I see so many 'bad foaling' experiences because people foal mares down without the experience. That's fine if you have a straight forwards foaming, but it's the training you need when things go wrong which is essential.

To be honest, I have also seen vets scanning mares and missing twins (fatal in horses) ... so it is also a little bit of luck too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now