Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

C-Section

(8 Posts)
nareshka91 Thu 30-Mar-17 16:40:58

Hi guys,

I have heard about the implications of C-Section on the immune system of the child and further health. Been reading a lot about microbiome and giving birth to a strong child preempting further health issues.

Have you come across this? Has anyone got any experience to share? Would you analyse your microbiome to make sure everything was fine?

Emma2803 Thu 30-Mar-17 18:49:53

No experience of microbiome but I do have a c section baby. He has the odd cold which is very mild but that's it, he is two and has never has had an antibiotic, never had a tummy bug or diarrhoea, has vomited once a few months ago. Doesn't have any allergies. Has had a very mild case of hand foot and mouth. All in all I think he has a great immune system.
Just my experience though. I'm quite relaxed about germs and dirt in that I think exposure to a certain extent helps children build up their own immunity.

DuggeeHugs Thu 30-Mar-17 19:31:20

I'd never heard of this (DC1 was EMCS and we're hoping DC2 will be ELCS).

I've had a look through some science news and was interested that Nature reported that no study has established a link between health problems of babies born through C-section and the composition of their microbiomes [http://www.nature.com/news/scientists-swab-c-section-babies-with-mothers-microbes-1.19275]
On this basis I'm not looking into microbiome analysis. From the various reports it seems that they are unable to pin down a CS delivery as the prime or only cause of potential immune system differences - environmental factors, breast feeding, etc., need to be considered too.

vfoster Thu 30-Mar-17 20:47:17

My first was an emergency c section and looks like I'll be having another in July with our second.
My first has had one vomiting bug in 3 1/2 years (she recovered in 12 hours whilst it had her dad in bed for a week); she's never had antibiotics and she very rarely had a cold. All of this whilst at full time nursery which is full of germs! I've always thought she had a really strong immune system!

Loulou2kent Thu 30-Mar-17 20:57:30

2 babies by c-section & both are rarely ever ill. Never sick etc. My eldest does have asthma & eczema though, however so does most of my side of the family. My children seem no different to any other children & I'm not too concerned about it. TBH it was the only way they were coming so I'm just thankful they're here & I'll keep them as healthy as I can doing things I do have control over.

AmyB1986 Thu 30-Mar-17 22:58:09

Hi, both dd's are csection babies. They're 9 & 7. My eldest had eczema which has now cleared up and dd2 had hearing problems but that's not to do with her birth it's genetic. Both are rarely ill, they have the odd cold which every child gets of school age but nothing more.
I have no choice but to have another csection with this baby as I have a septated uterus my babies are always breech. I don't expect there to be any complications with the baby's health this time either 😊

Lunalovepud Fri 31-Mar-17 09:22:12

DC1 is a section baby and DC2 is likely to be too.

I have read bits and pieces about the micro biome theory and think it's interesting but I'm not convinced that it makes a massive difference to the baby in the mid to long term. I think more research is needed and bigger samples to rule out other factors such as genetics in the potential predisposition to asthma etc...

If you are asking this because you are expecting and are worried about getting a c section, I would only reassure you that the most important thing is that your baby is born safely on the day - however they make their exit. Any concerns with biomes and gut bacteria etc can be sorted out afterwards. Your midwife should be able to give you some more info a guidance.

Good luck with everything.

iseenodust Fri 31-Mar-17 09:33:25

DS was a c section baby. He is now 12 and has always been robustly healthy. Was not a snotty baby/toddler. No allergies. Never had antibiotics. Did succumb to chicken pox at preschool.

Microbiome influenced? Or the fact we had a dog for the first 10yrs of DS's life? Or luck?

Best of luck with your birth. I have no regrets it was a c section.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now