Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cord Blood Donation?

(21 Posts)
jld128 Thu 30-Mar-17 15:18:34

anyone thinking about it? anyone done it?

i'm 25weeks and have been reading up on it my problem is i'm in northern ireland and can't seem to find anywhere that does it?

RayofFuckingSunshine Thu 30-Mar-17 15:22:50

I would have loved to have done it but only certain hospitals offer it, and none of them were near me!

AiryFairy1991 Thu 30-Mar-17 15:24:54

I'm 21 weeks and was looking into this yesterday! From what I can gather it is only certain hospitals in England that will actually carry this out (and even then there are only like 8 of them!).

I'm in Scotland and e-mailed the Blood Donation service and they said I definitely can't do it here as they don't have the resources to facilitate it.

Just seems so wasteful when I know people could really benefit from it!

Lemondrop09 Thu 30-Mar-17 15:30:56

Yeah, I looked into this and as mentioned above, there's only like 4 hospitals that do it. Shame

Ooopsohdear Thu 30-Mar-17 15:31:33

I did it! At St Mary's in Manchester smile

NinaMarieP Thu 30-Mar-17 15:31:33

I'm in Scotland and I would like to do it. It seems a real shame it is available in so few places.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 30-Mar-17 15:33:22

It's much better for the blood to go back to your baby via delayed cord cutting (IMO)

Wreckingball25 Thu 30-Mar-17 15:33:39

I did it at St Mary's in Manchester as well smile
It was for the Anthony Nolan charity. There are only a few hospitals that offer it (mainly university teaching hospitals if I remember correctly)

FrizzBombDelight Thu 30-Mar-17 16:19:05

You can donate breast milk op, big shortage in NI x

NinaMarieP Thu 30-Mar-17 18:04:09

I've read that if a baby is premature delayed cord cutting is very beneficial, but in term babies it can lead to an increased risk of jaundice. Hardly life threatening but it's make me think twice as I wouldn't want to end up having to stay in hospital with him under lamps.

Jemimapuddleduk Thu 30-Mar-17 18:10:41

Aaaw it's amazing that people do this! I wasn't aware about it when I gave birth to my 2 despite being on the Anthony Nolan register myself. My ds has had Acute myeloid leukaemia and if he relapses will need a bone marrow/stem cell transplant. We know several children who had transplants using cord blood. Medical science is amazing.

Emma2803 Thu 30-Mar-17 18:24:16

It's such a shame this isn't more widely available! I'm also in ni and looked into it when I was pregnant with my son as our friend had cancer and needed a stem cell transplant. I would definitely have done it, it just gets chucked I'm the bin anyway. Unfortunately he passed away before our son was born. I could understand not doing it if baby was very small premature etc but my son was 8.11. As it was I had an emcs so all those precious stem cells were wasted.

jld128 Thu 30-Mar-17 18:34:58

i'm guessing unless i move to Belfast it won't be available to me either over here, i'll defo email and find out though, i'd also heard of waiting until the cord stops pulsating before cutting it so that the baby takes everything out of it but i may of dreamt that one!

jld128 Thu 30-Mar-17 18:36:22

i'm hoping to breast feed but if for whatever reason i can't donation the milk sounds like a great idea!

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Thu 30-Mar-17 18:50:27

Not totally relevant I know, but we paid privately to have DS's stem cells from the umbilical cord harvested & stored in case he ever needs them

AbbeyRoadCrossing Thu 30-Mar-17 19:36:20

I did this with DD2 and so glad we did. Slightly different scenario as we had NHS blood and transplant there anyway in a planned c section as she was thought to need a transfusion at birth (she didnt)
Got a lovely card and was told that the first thing we did together was save another child's life.

As mentioned before its just selected hospitals though

www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/cordblood/howtodonate/

www.anthonynolan.org/8-ways-you-could-save-life/donate-your-umbilical-cord-blood

Emma2803 Thu 30-Mar-17 20:50:52

Jld I don't think they even do it in Belfast! Just England as far as I know.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 30-Mar-17 22:03:59

I've read that if a baby is premature delayed cord cutting is very beneficial, but in term babies it can lead to an increased risk of jaundice. Hardly life threatening but it's make me think twice as I wouldn't want to end up having to stay in hospital with him under lamps.

www.rcm.org.uk/news-views-and-analysis/views/latest-recommendations-on-timing-of-clamping-the-umbilical-cord

AbbeyRoadCrossing Thu 30-Mar-17 22:13:00

You can still do delayed clamping and donate cord blood. It says so on the anthony nolan FAQS. They will work to your birth plan.

NinaMarieP Thu 30-Mar-17 22:24:41

Thanks for the link, Itsall. I think there is probably more to read into through - is there a difference between 1 minute and 5 minutes for example? Definitely something I'm interested in discussing further with my midwife etc. It's down as a query in my birth plan at the moment. I would probably be happy with a minute as that's an official recommendation and would hopefully strike a healthy balance between the risks of early/delayed.

CycleHire Thu 30-Mar-17 22:29:48

Only certain hospitals, chosen on the basis of the local ethnic mix. We agreed to donate but with our eldest son they didn't collect enough so the donation went for research rather than to be used for another child. With our second child the donation wasn't suitable for other reasons. I had caesareans both times so there wasn't really an option for delayed clamping (as far as I'm aware).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now