Talk

Advanced search

Hit to the stomach..

(11 Posts)
beck3001 Wed 29-Mar-17 23:12:20

Hi all!
So I'm at work tonight and just needed a little advice.
For note, I'm 21 weeks pregnant.

I work in a care home and I've been punched in the stomach by a resident..
I feel okay, just a little uncomfortable.. i am awake of where baby is sat as I felt him moving before hand and know the resident punched in the place where he is unfortunately!
Is there any bad signs I should be looking out for? Any advice?
I honestly feel like going home but I know I have to be back tomorrow night so just fighting through it otherwise I will only dread tomorrow too!

Spam88 Wed 29-Mar-17 23:16:25

I think you'd be best going to get yourself checked out, or at least give your midwife a call.

Helbelle75 Wed 29-Mar-17 23:16:42

You should really ring your antenatal unit and get checked out. Sooner rather than later I would say. Your workplace have a duty of care and should have done a risk assessment and made sure you are safe.
What time are you at work until?

eliolo Wed 29-Mar-17 23:18:03

How hard were you punched? Have you been feeling movements yet? The baby's really well protected in there so should be okay but if it was a really hard punch or you get pains or bleeding or anything I'd go and get checked over, you and your baby are more important than work!

beck3001 Wed 29-Mar-17 23:19:16

They did do a risk assessment.. it names residents that I can't work with but they have said I should work with this certain resident and only call for help when needed.. which was a little too late as the punch was unexpected.. just stepped in front of him to turn his alarm off and he hit out.
I finish at 8am.. so a long time to go yet.
Senior hasn't even asked how I'm feeling!

kathrynelizabeth3005 Wed 29-Mar-17 23:21:55

Please please ring yourlocal maternity unit at the hospital so that you can get checked out asap. You really need to go in and be monitored for at least a short while to ensure baby is okay.

Your health and baby's health are definitely more important than work.

Teakind Wed 29-Mar-17 23:27:19

That's terrible! I agree to call the hospital now for advice. I hope you're ok x

LoveMyLittleSuperhero Wed 29-Mar-17 23:33:01

I had a bash to the stomach while pregnant, you must leave work and phone your maternity unit. They will most likely want you in for monitoring and quite probably a scan to check baby is ok.
Have you felt movements since? Are they in the normal pattern for your LO? Have your work filled in an incident report? Because you are pregnant they must do this for a hit to the stomach.
My DD was fine, so try not to worry, but the midwives were very firm with me over the phone that I had to go in for any bump to the stomach.

beck3001 Thu 30-Mar-17 03:41:12

Hi ladies! I know this is a late reply!
I did end up calling the maternity unit and they checked me and baby over.

Everything seems fine and they said to go back if the discomfort doesn't go away or I get any new complications. I have my scan Friday too so should be okay!
Work only filled an incident report out after I said I'm going to hospital.. they then admitted they should have seemed medical attention for me themselves to cover their own back but didn't even manage to ask how I was let alone seek medical attention! Shocking to think that these women have children of their own and probably know what it's like to worry! All they worried about was what they were going to say to our manager and being short staffed!

Thank you for all the advice too!!

eliolo Thu 30-Mar-17 03:44:35

Glad everything's okay! Hope you can get some rest flowers

LoveMyLittleSuperhero Thu 30-Mar-17 04:05:59

I'm glad that everything is ok. Shocking about your managers, but you and babies health is what's important. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now