Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Worried

(4 Posts)
Lyndz1974 Wed 29-Mar-17 19:41:03

Hi my 16 yr old daughter is 20 weeks pregnant and we went along for her anomaly scan yesterday little did we know the can of worms that would be opened. They have found a hole in the baby's heart and a dilated kidney both of which are treatable however together can apparently indicate an extra chromosome and now she has to have a amniosenticis test for downs syndrome ........im beside myself all other measurements were right how do I approach this with her.....it surely can't be downs no f/h on either side she doesn't drink or smoke ...im so confused

TestingTestingWonTooFree Wed 29-Mar-17 19:45:38

I don't think chromosonal abnormalities are always due to drinking or smoking, they're just bad luck. All you can do is to try and support her through this worrying time. Presumably she doesn't have to have the amnio (and I think some people elect not to as it carries a risk of miscarriage), but it might be easier to plan ahead if she does have it. Maybe come up with a list of questions you'd like to ask the doctor.

Cantchooseaname Wed 29-Mar-17 19:48:50

Hi,
Downs doesn't run in families- it is a genetic mutation, a random 'thing'. Some factors can increase he chances (being older, for example).
Try to deal with what you know- you know about the heart and kidney problem- these are treatable, so deal with that.
You don't know the result of the amniocentesis test yet- worry about it when you get it.
Encourage her to keep looking after herself, deal with stress. Keep talking to doctors- there's lots of support out there.
You sound like a good mum looking out for her.

OnNaturesCourse Thu 30-Mar-17 09:20:20

I'd try to keep focus on what you know, so the heart and kidney issue. Keep your mind straight. I am assuming your daughter knows and knows the risks although your post is unclear on that. I hope all goes well xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now