Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Chicken pox aaaagh!!!

(12 Posts)
upforathird Wed 29-Mar-17 14:15:46

My child has chicken pox and I am very newly pregnant. I have had chicken pox as a child and shingles a couple of years ago - that means there's no issue right???

Just wanting to hear it from people that have been in the same position I guess for a bit of real life reassurance smile

Tilly2017 Wed 29-Mar-17 15:05:23

It is still possible to get chickenpox again or shingles. I had chickenpox as a child and as a adult. Be careful to ensure your little ones blisters are covered when they pop with long cotton sleves as will help reduce risks of it spreading. Good luck

Bubbinsmakesthree Wed 29-Mar-17 15:13:18

It is possible, but rare, to get CP again after having it once. My son had CP when I was pregnant, I wasn't 100% certain whether I had it as a child so GP arranged a blood test to check my immunity. If you are found not to be immune they can give you treatment to reduce the risks of you catching CP.

upforathird Wed 29-Mar-17 15:21:19

So bubbins what advice were you given when you were found to be immune?

Bubbinsmakesthree Wed 29-Mar-17 17:08:24

No further action was needed as there was no risk of me catching it - just as well as there is really no avoiding very close contact when you have a poorly toddler!

Hope your DC doesn't suffer too much (I recommend poxclin and oat baths!)

4yoniD Wed 29-Mar-17 17:23:14

Bit off topic but remember you can give paracetamol/calpol but NOT ibuprofen

(Public service notice :D )

Lunalovepud Wed 29-Mar-17 18:23:16

DC had cp when I was 18 weeks pregnant and Dr not remotely concerned about me as I had it as a child and have subsequently had shingles too.

It is possible to get cp more than once but is extremely rare and the fact that you have had shingles indicates that you are unlikely to get cp again as they are caused by the same virus... People get shingles after cp.

Do speak to your GP and midwife if you're worried or want a check for antibodies etc but in the meantime I really wouldn't worry.

Good luck with the pox - oat baths, vira soothe, Calpol and calamine lotion. grin

Lunalovepud Wed 29-Mar-17 18:26:41

www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2562.aspx here is some nhs info is that helps - there is loads on shingles and cp on their website.

GreenGoblin0 Wed 29-Mar-17 18:45:59

my DD had CP in my 2nd trimester and again Dr was really not concerned as i've had it before.

if you are worried speak to your GP or midwife and they can do a blood test to check your immunity.

Bubbinsmakesthree Wed 29-Mar-17 18:46:08

It's really rare to get it more than once, and even if you do get it when pregnant it is rare for it to cause complications. So rare x rare = very very rare.

butterfly990 Wed 29-Mar-17 19:44:14

My DD came down with it on the same day as I gave birth to my DS.

Luckily I was able to get the parents of the DD who donated the CP to my DD to look after her whilst I was in Labor. She was unable to visit me in hospital and I was advised to keep her away from DS as much as possible. Very difficult as she only 15 months at the time.

I BF my DS and he didn't catch CP, my other DD did though smile

upforathird Wed 29-Mar-17 20:00:07

Thanks for the replies! And thanks for the reminder about ibroprufen. So far he seems absolutely fine and am hoping this continues.

Quarantine with a toddler is not going to be fun though confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now