Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

bowel movements when laying down

(4 Posts)
user1490285009 Tue 28-Mar-17 21:24:28

Hi ladies

I'm pregnant ( about 4 weeks) with first baby and I wanted to get your take on a symptom I've been having. I have a GP appointment in 2 weeks so will also discuss it with dr but appointments so far and I'm super keen to know if this is normal or not.

For the last 3 days, whenever I lay down I get woken up by cramps ( very similar to AF) and I pass stools. The pain lasts for 10-15mins and improves upon passing. I can then fall back to sleep. I get mild cramp and discomfort during day, but nothing quite so severe or 'long lasting' ( my day cramps are very brief). I am stumped why this should happen when I lay down and it's really disrupting my sleep. The time of sleeping or position has no impact. Sleeping in the afternoon on my left/right/back will lead to same cramps-diorrhea as sleeping at night. I haven't changed my diet, and I feel otherwise well. There is no bleeding.

Has any one else experienced something like this?

user1478902502 Tue 28-Mar-17 21:35:00

I had exactly the same! It lasted from about 5wks to probably 10wks. It woke me most nights and really worried me for a bit until I realised the pain was always relieved by a bowel movement. I had a lot of bloating and gas early on too. I think it was just one of those wonderful pregnancy side effects!

user1490285009 Wed 29-Mar-17 08:26:11

Thanks for the reply. I've sort of resolved the problem now by not going to bed with anything in my stomach. I got my first night of sleep last night smile

mayhew Wed 29-Mar-17 08:29:46

In early pregnancy, your womb is expanding in your pelvis. It sounds like it's pressing on a sensitive spot on your rectum when you lie in a certain way. As the womb gets bigger (12-16 weeks) it inhabits your abdomen and lies above the sensitive rectum. You'll probably be constipated by then, though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now