Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

The things people say to you when pregnant

(80 Posts)
justwondering85 Tue 28-Mar-17 18:49:01

I ran into some family members I hadn't seen in a while and they were like oh you don't even look pregnant from behind, mil was saying you were out to here indicating I was not only huge but wide but your not your neat. I'm actually lost for words.

miserableandinpain Tue 28-Mar-17 19:12:59

My neighbour told me the other day that you could tell i was deffo pregnant from behind. And that noone could tell when she was pregnant 30 odd years ago. Even though many people had told me they didnt even realise i was as far gone as i was as it was hidden well. She is a bit of a basket case though. havent actually seen her since before being pregnant. She leaves early and comes home late. I think she has rose tinted glasses on. Most people look pregnant when they are lol

WantingBaby1 Tue 28-Mar-17 20:34:53

My MiL is amazed I have a bump at all at 21 weeks angry apparently it's a "proper bump" now and "I don't look fat anymore" angry

haveacupoftea Tue 28-Mar-17 20:57:22

Some of my family were discussing how i walk like a pregnant person. No shit sherlock i'm carrying a 5lb baby around 😂

DuggeeHugs Tue 28-Mar-17 21:14:28

Today someone stared at my stomach and said 'is there something you need to tell us?'. I responded along the lines of 'as you're not a medical professional, nothing I need to tell you, no'.

This is my second though so I'm not prepared to take comments like that this time!

TileTileTile Tue 28-Mar-17 21:15:18

I was crossing the road the other day not at a crossing, and was told I should only cross the road at a crossing now, because of my condition confused

Oysterbabe Tue 28-Mar-17 21:15:53

"Wow you're huge! I was still in my skinny jeans until 7 months."
Just. Fuck. Off.

Ponyboycurtis Tue 28-Mar-17 21:17:27

'I couldn't think of anything worse' was the response from a stranger when she asked 'do you know what your having?' and I replied 'twins'..... someone also said this when they were babies and we were out and about, my husband was furious but I was used to it by then.

firsttimemum15 Tue 28-Mar-17 21:18:23

Not things people say but other halfs mum touching bump at the time to feel baby move even though baby wasnt moving at the time. I used to just say "ill tell you when the baby moves" made me mega uncomfortable X

SelfObsessionHoney Tue 28-Mar-17 21:18:32

DP told me I waddle.
My mum said it's harder for tubby girls to have a nice bump.
Student on placement keeps banging on about how exciting pregnancy is.
Yes I waddle, yes I'm fat and no, constipation, haemorrhoids and acid are not exciting.

ShouldIBuyOrShouldIGo Tue 28-Mar-17 21:21:34

"Good luck, hope you don't have a still born" said to me by some random woman at the gym! I think she was just a little bit batty and had no idea awful it sounded - all the other ladies in the changing room had their chins on the floor!

angelicjen Tue 28-Mar-17 21:23:49

'Ooo, life's gonna change when the baby gets here!'
Well thank fuck you warned me, I thought I'd still be in the pub every night.

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Tue 28-Mar-17 21:29:07

Parents at school
"What HAVE you done?" hmm

"You'll be sorry in 8 years time."
I may have retorted to that one with
"Oh no has little Frank been excluded AGAIN?"

Random man in the street
"My god love, you look like the prow of a ship"
I just laughed at that one to be fair.

InsaneMummyOfThree Tue 28-Mar-17 21:46:48

I'm on my fourth and my usually lovely next door neighbour told my OH that I'm looking "extremely tired this time round"!! That fact is, Iv just given up on wearing make up as I had awful all day sickness up till about 18 weeks so didn't see the point of putting it on. After going so long without it I figured it was something I could live without. Obviously not!!! X

slipery Tue 28-Mar-17 22:33:22

that's nice things they said to you. you're lucky op!

justwondering85 Tue 28-Mar-17 23:51:12

It's amazing what people say I'm actually shocked at some of the comments that people have had said to them. I know I said to a girl I work with once you must be almost finished and her response was no I've 10 weeks left I nearly died.

DaisyS91 Wed 29-Mar-17 08:43:17

Everyday at work I get "gosh you look big today" from various ladies. I'm 36 weeks pregnant. I look big ALL the time.

GingerHanna Wed 29-Mar-17 08:51:31

I'm lurking with intent here. Just coming up to seven weeks so quite a while to go before showing, but want some witty retorts at the ready...!

DinosaurFanGirl Wed 29-Mar-17 09:23:53

"how did that happen?"
"Was it planned?"
The above questions proper annoy me.... How do you think it happened and it was a lovely surprise.

"you are huge for your dates, are you sure you are doing everything right?"
This was asked by my BIL and when I explained the scan was fine and I'm measuring normal he certainly didn't look like I was telling the truth!

"aww you are so small and neat, here eat all these cakes you need carbs"
Erm no I'm fine thank you I don't want to gain any extra weight! My work colleague are proper in my back about making me eat carbs as they say its odd I've put no weight on. I have, I have put on a stone, yet again they don't act like they believe me there either...

Basically people often treat you like you are stupid and need their opinions and advice otherwise you will do it all wrong.

Oh and don't even get me started on bump touching!!

HellsBellsK Wed 29-Mar-17 09:25:39

I am a teacher and was talking to one of the parents, she was congratulating me as she just found out I was pregnant.. Asking how I was etc. I said oh okay I suffer from migraines before I was pregnant and now its really hard as I can't take my normal medication just paracetamol. She went on to tell me that my baby will probably have autism now and you should never take it when pregnant. I walked away in shock!

Another one of my friends is pregnant and about 3 weeks behind me - she keeps sending me pictures of people who are 6+ months pregnant with no bumps. I have a bump at 18 weeks and she keeps telling me I'm huge. I haven't put on weight anywhere else other then bump and boobs! Its starting to grate!

WantingBaby1 Wed 29-Mar-17 09:34:27

hells I suffer with migraines too and have been told paracetamol is fine! Can't believe someone would be so out of order to say that to you!! That's terrible. And untrue.

BakerBear Wed 29-Mar-17 09:43:49

One checkout woman said to me in Tesco

"How many days have you got left?"

Err i ve got 8 weeks left! WHAT! Was her response!

I ve had a was it planned by someone i barely knew...

I ve had loads of rude comments, people just dont engage their brain before they speak

Lemondrop09 Wed 29-Mar-17 09:48:13

Tbf, I think pregnancy bumps are a minefield. I know one person who was large anyway so lots of people didn't notice she was pregnant. She was upset when people didn't notice her bump, as it was a much longer for pregnancy and she really wanted to talk about it. On th other hand, it appears that any comment about a big bump or a neat bump could also upset someone who is feeling sensitive about changes to their body.

I've previously commented to friends and colleagues about "wow, look at your bump!" without it occurring to me it might upset them.
I appreciate why some people are upset, but I really think most people don't mean any harm when they comment. It's just that the bump is the most obvious thing for people to comment on. I think try not to take it to hard and shrug it off, unless someone is obviously telling you that you look like a beached whale - in which case tell them to do one!

EdgarAllenPoe Wed 29-Mar-17 09:57:54

A colleague of mine I didn't know very well exclaimed, 'you're much bigger than my was wife at the same stage.' Thanks.

Swimming at the pool in October and people being amazed when I told them that actually I wasn't due until January.

I did measure big (he was a 10lb baby in my defense!) but there's no need to keep banging on about it. I was very well aware thanks!

When I returned to work, my boss said, 'have you lost weight?', the cheeky bugger. That one made me laugh.

troodiedoo Wed 29-Mar-17 10:03:57

Years ago I bought a pregnancy test in the supermarket, and the checkout lady said "what result are you hoping for?" shockgrin I could only stutter that I'd be happy either way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now