Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Big Baby

(24 Posts)
mommabear2017 Tue 28-Mar-17 15:04:26

I'm 33 weeks and had a scan today, baby weighs 5lb 7 already and Ive got 7 weeks to go , has anyone else had similar? Thanks

toomuchtimereadingthreads2016 Tue 28-Mar-17 15:08:01

Is it your first? Weight estimating scans are famous for being inaccurate. I was expecting to birth a whale, complete with extra scans, precautions during labour etc. she was 8lbs 6 at 42+1 weeks

SuburbanRhonda Tue 28-Mar-17 15:09:42

DS was 8.5lb at 36 weeks. He was 10.6 at birth shock

FrizzBombDelight Tue 28-Mar-17 15:17:11

It's scary a isn't it! I'm only at 31 weeks but he's predicted to be a big un! How does the estimated weight now match up with your growth chart predictions?

mommabear2017 Tue 28-Mar-17 15:18:44

This is my second baby . My first was a big baby but their saying this one is even bigger, had loads of complications delivering my first so dreading this time of what their saying is true. I've got another scan in 4 weeks to see how big she is

mommabear2017 Tue 28-Mar-17 15:19:29

My first was 8lb 5 at birth

Gaaaah Tue 28-Mar-17 15:24:17

My fifth baby was 6lb 7oz at 34 weeks. Everyone laughed and said she wouldn't be big...at birth she was 10lb 5oz. I had loads of complications after her birth so when my last measured big all the way through and a scan at 37 weeks revealed him to be 9lb 4oz, I asked for a csection. Had him by elcs at 39 weeks. He was 8lb 12oz.

mommabear2017 Tue 28-Mar-17 15:30:15

Yeah I'm hoping for an elcs due to complications during labour with first. I spoke to them today and they said they would discus in 4 weeks time which will make me 37 weeks, hopefully they will agree especially as shes looking bigger than her brother

LokisSister Tue 28-Mar-17 18:42:23

When I had my first they told me she was big. Had an extra midwife on hand to help deliver as they expected complications.

She was 6lb5oz.

rollonthesummer Tue 28-Mar-17 18:48:43

I have so many friend who were told they were having big babies- several were given an early c-section based on the estimate from a scan, all were worried. None of them had a baby over 7lb 10!

I wouldn't worry too much-those scans are notoriously shite.

Watto1 Tue 28-Mar-17 18:51:28

DD was delivered by caesarian a week early as they were worried about her growth. She was 8lb 12! So I wouldn't worry too much. These scans are often inaccurate.

mommabear2017 Tue 28-Mar-17 19:34:23

Her brother was big so I'm pretty sure she is going to be as well, it seems I make big babies lol, had massive complications with first due to his size and a low pubic arch which resulted in going to theatre using forceps and loosing 1000mls blood, so if she's looking bigger I'm hoping they say c section otherwise god knows

ButtMuncher Tue 28-Mar-17 19:37:05

I had he opposite! A baby who measured averagely all the way throughout and when he was born was 8lbs 6oz - at 37w! god knows what he would have been had I gone to term shock

nursebickypegs Tue 28-Mar-17 19:37:36

I had a scan at 28+3 and baby was 4lbs5oz!

Celticlassie Tue 28-Mar-17 21:39:58

At what point (or size) do they give you a scan? I was measuring 38 weeks at 35, but midwife just said they don't tend to do anything for big babies, just small ones.

harleysmammy Tue 28-Mar-17 21:44:56

My baby's measurements were 39 weeks at 32 weeks. Im 35 weeks and he's still just over 39 weeks, but i was told they can be out because i had 2 scans the same day and one came back 36 weeks and one was 39 weeks. Either way he's a big baby but it might not be as big as they make it out to be. My consultant told me we couldn't make children we couldnt birth..although i dont think i trust him on that haha x

Letseatgrandma Tue 28-Mar-17 21:45:58

Big doesn't necessarily mean a difficult labour though. My mum's babies were all 9.5lb+ and all natural, easy labours-she is 5 foot nothing and weighed 7 stone at the time. My sister had one at 11lb-all natural. Mine were all 9lb but lots of problems and I had to have CS.

harleysmammy Tue 28-Mar-17 21:46:17

Also, my sister in law just had a baby at 37 weeks because he was "massive" on scans..my nephew came out 6lb 5oz. They're not always right x

InsaneMummyOfThree Tue 28-Mar-17 22:10:52

I'm having extra scans due to my bump measuring big. At 32 weeks I measured 36 then at 34 weeks I measured 39 and last week at 36 weeks I was measuring a whooping 44 weeks!!!! I have a scan tomorrow to see what's going on. Initially they said that I have excess water (polyhydramnios) and baby was estimated to weigh 5lb 7 at 34 weeks but now because of the big increase they want to see how big baby is. I'm not sure I trust these scans though as how can they really measure babies weight!!! My three previous babies were 8lb 2, 8lb 21/2 and 8lb 13 so I'm not expecting to have a little 6-7 lb'er anyway. I wouldn't let it worry you too much, unless it affects your birth plan. If you are wanting a c section anyway then as long as baby is growing well and there are no medical complications causing the excess weight ( ie. Gestational diabetes) all will be fine. X

Ojoj1974 Tue 28-Mar-17 22:15:08

My first was 10.2lbs . I had a perfect day water birth with no tears. My DD had the biggest cheeks you have ever seen. The midwives told me she was going to be really clever which used to make me smile. She was the easiest of babies and IS very clever aged 11yrs!!

Don't panic xx

Lemonwhacker Tue 28-Mar-17 22:18:44

I'm having my first child I've just had my 32 week scan, she is measuring at 34 weeks and 5lb something already according to sonographer. They requested a glucose test for me, which I had today. This pregnancy has been very easy, if I compare it to my friends. Absolutely shitting myself about the labour though! They're talking about inducing me early if I still measure weeks ahead at 36 weeks.

I'm aware that nothing they say is completely accurate, however none of my families babies have ever been small.

mommabear2017 Tue 28-Mar-17 22:19:28

I think I'm worrying more because if the complications due to my low pubic arch when I had my first the consultant said afterwards the reason he couldn't get out was due to the size of my pubic arch and he was a big baby, their saying my baby this time is bigger than my son so naturally I'm concerned how she's going to get out. I was told with my son nature has a way of giving us baby's we can pass, nature got it wrong as he wasn't able to pass

ItsNachoCheese Tue 28-Mar-17 22:22:17

4d scan at 26wks: 2lb 2oz
Scan at 27wks after hind waters went: 2lb 7oz
Scan at 37 weeks: 9lb 1oz
Birth weight at 41+3wks: 11lb 0.5oz
Im having no more grin

nookandcrannies Tue 28-Mar-17 22:30:36

My lb was 9:4 back to back labour. I suffered a small minor grazing only inside nothing else and no intervention! Good luck op - wishing u and your baby a healthy safe birth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now