Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Inverted nipples

(7 Posts)
Happyandhungry Mon 27-Mar-17 21:22:08

Hi both my nipples are inverted slightly when in a resting position hmm IYSWIM. Has anyone else had this and successfully breastfed? Thanks

Salmonpinkcords Mon 27-Mar-17 22:01:53

Yes and successfully fed for over 12 months twice - they were more prone to flatness than actually inverted. They are not anymore having breastfeed for over 2 years combined!
It was tricky the first time and you may want to start with nipple shields if you trouble with baby latching on. Hospital only gave me them after 3 days of a non feeding baby and I hadn't heard of them so had no idea. They didn't affect my supply at all and I binned after a while anyway.
But it is totally possible but may need perseverance.

MrsIanThornton Mon 27-Mar-17 22:10:10

I did with flat nipples and an amazing lactation consultant in hospital. She said to put your thumb above your nipple and index finger below and squeeze so your entire nipple is flattened horizontally and place in front of the baby's mouth for them to latch. The lactation consultant described it as making sure he 'got a big bite of the burger'!!!!!

Worked well though and after a couple of weeks I didn't need to do that anymore. Still going strong way past 1st birthday!

Good luck!

user1481490957 Mon 27-Mar-17 22:18:57

Hi, im in the same position as you so watching the thread smile

Eclecticmama Mon 27-Mar-17 22:33:13

yes - in pregnancy I was really worried about whether i'd be able to feed with my flat nipples and read about using an inverted syringe to draw the nipple out. Didn't really work that well. Best thing was nipple shields. The silicon ones are much thinner than the old ones so I don't think they are as big of an issue for supply than the older ones. i certainly wouldn't have been able to breastfeed successfully without them.

I'm still going strong at 12 months and as a PP, my nipples are no longer flat. I had to use shields for about 7 weeks then dd could latch onto me.

Best of luck!

crapfatbanana Mon 27-Mar-17 22:38:49

My left nipple is flat and at times inverted. It was not a problem during breastfeeding. It pretty much sorted itself during pregnancy and breastfeeding actually, but is weird again now.

The thing to remember is that it's breastfeeding, not nipple feeding. The baby opens his/her mouth wide, takes a large mouthful of breast tissue and draws the nipple right to the back of the soft palette. Think chomping a Big Mac, not sucking up noodles. As long as you get baby positioned correctly to latch, the rest should fall into place.

toomuchtimereadingthreads2016 Tue 28-Mar-17 08:18:23

Yes! Hadn't realised that it could be a big problem for BF, and luckily it wasn't for me, gave me 0 problems from the very first feed. They are defo not inverted anymore!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now