Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

ARGH when and where to begin!!

(7 Posts)
Newbie10 Mon 27-Mar-17 16:24:40

I am 24 weeks this week and we started looking at Prams this weekend, this is the first time we have really allowed ourselves to start looking at baby items. Whilst I am now getting very excited and it is all getting a little real.... I am also massively overwhelmed about how many things we need to think about (not just a pram and car seat apparently) and also when we should actually start buying things? How do you know the right items to buy, obviously I want the best for baby but it is also about what we can afford. When is too early to start buying things and how did you know what to look for? Any advice would be really appreciated.

Redyellowpinkblue Mon 27-Mar-17 16:42:34

With dd1 we just bought little and often, so adding a pack of vests/ clothing/ baby wipes/ nappies/ nappy cream/ baby bath/ nipple cream/ maternity pads/ breast pads etc with a grocery shop, a couple of items everytime we shopped. We did this from about 24 weeks and by the end had a really good stockpile of very useful nappies and bits and bobs and clothes in various sizes and we never noticed spending the extra money as it was small amounts at a time. We were given a lot of clothes when she was born so I'm glad we never went mad with the clothes buying!
I got a bargain with my pram as I bought nearly new and spent time shopping around for a car seat to get the best deal.
I breastfed so never bought bottles, and I never got a nappy bin as couldn't really see the point. So we went for useful things like a nappy clip baby movement monitor (snuza go) for peace of mind, and lots of giant muslins as friends had said how useful they were and that turned out to be very very true! Dd1 didn't like her moses basket so that was a waste of money, she preferred a poddlepod. And we ended up co sleeping so cot was a waste for us too. Didn't bother with toys until she was a good few weeks older. I got a decent changing bag and a bouncy chair that was helpful for when I needed a shower. Also a thermal mug so tea wasn't always cold. Feeding cushion was crucial for us too.

I'm pregnant with dd2 so luckily we have all the stuff from last time, but we're doing the same stockpiling again as it worked so well last time.

Newbie10 Tue 28-Mar-17 09:37:35

Thank you - this is really helpful and I think I will start doing the same and just buy a few bits each week to try and spread the cost a little. It is also trying to decide which brands are best etc as there seem to be so many differing opinions but I guess you just go with the ones that are best for you. Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it :-)

AssassinatedBeauty Tue 28-Mar-17 09:54:08

You can sign up to the Which? website for a trial for a £1 I think, which can be helpful to look at reviews of the larger items like prams/car seats etc.

DinosaurFanGirl Tue 28-Mar-17 14:18:38

We have decided not to buy anything unless we can either get money off it or its in the sales. This meant we bought a lot during Xmas sales even though we were only 11 wks pregnant.

NCT have "Nearly New Sales" and I highly recommend them. You do not need to be a member to enjoy these sales. Recently I went to one and spent £30 on all the clothes that will see baby up to 6 months. I also picked up a baby bath for £1! They sell prams and all sorts there.

You might find other similar events like this to go to as well.

If people are buying you gifts could be a good idea to suggest certain things to them too? That way you don't get doubles or too many clothes of one age?

We are also buying nappies etc now in our weekly shop so we are used to that expense.

Xx

DinosaurFanGirl Tue 28-Mar-17 14:20:56

Oh and at 23 wks we already have everything that can be classed as essential apart from a baby monitor!

MrsPear Tue 28-Mar-17 14:29:48

Seriously why do you need loads of stuff?!
You need something to wear - forget outfits get a couple of packs of sleep suits and vests, a couple of cardis and pack of nappies- somewhere to sleep with a few sheets- we got a crib - and a way to transport. Muslins are a handy extra.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now