Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anterior placenta - when did you feel movement

(21 Posts)
chelle85 Mon 27-Mar-17 07:55:07

As above really. I am now 20 weeks and not feeling anything. I sometimes get feelings like gas bubbles popping but I am not sure whether this is baby as it seems to happen more after I have eaten so may just be gas

monal Mon 27-Mar-17 07:57:12

I am only just now feeling movement semi-regularly and I'm 23 weeks. And this is my second pregnancy. It's a bit unnerving!

Nightneverchanges Mon 27-Mar-17 07:58:29

23ish weeks. It's a long slog, though with my current posterior placenta it was still 19 weeks.

JunebabyT Mon 27-Mar-17 08:00:18

I didn't feel anything until 26 weeks. If you are worried, see if you can get a scan and try to feel movement as you see it. That's how I finally felt it though could only feel it very very low down in the area the placenta wasn't covering! Gas bubbles feeling might be it though...

CaptainWarbeck Mon 27-Mar-17 08:02:36

18-20 weeks. Second pregnancy and it helped I knew what I was feeling for, to differentiate gas bubbles from kicks. Otherwise it might have been a few weeks later.

First pregnancy without an anterior placenta I felt much earlier, so it definitely has an effect.

You'll get to a point where it'll be an unmistakable wriggle! I'm 27 weeks now and sometimes gasp when she somersaults. Once you start definitely feeling them you won't be second guessing any more smile

AllMyBestFriendsAreMetalheads Mon 27-Mar-17 08:03:10

Around 22 weeks IIRC (it's a while ago now!) but definitely not before my 20 week scan.

CaptainWarbeck Mon 27-Mar-17 08:03:52

Also I first felt movement either really really low down or else high up under my ribs, so the placenta was cushioning all the rest of the kicks I think.

Sewingbeatshousework Mon 27-Mar-17 08:08:35

This is dc3, first anterior and i'm 23 weeks now. Went from feeling gas bubbles as you described at 20 weeks to full on movements by 21. Give it time 😊

toomuchtimereadingthreads2016 Mon 27-Mar-17 08:16:07

Is it your first pregnancy? I didnt have it with my first, but do now with my second. Felt "bubbles" right down low between by pelvis bones from about 17w, but only around 23 started feeling up in my tummy. Now I'm 27 and can see the rolling around and others can feel big kicks with their hands smile

toomuchtimereadingthreads2016 Mon 27-Mar-17 08:16:39

Oh and my fail safe time to feel baby is after I've eaten so it probably is baby you're feeling!

WorriedAndCrazy Mon 27-Mar-17 08:23:38

I first felt light kicks in my right side just before 16 weeks (second baby, I've never had flutters or bubbles with either). I then had a 16 week scan where I found out I had an anterior placenta and continued to feel kicks on that side (only a couple a day) and at my 20 week scan it was confirmed to me that the placenta was covering more of the left side which is why I could feel her in the one area only. Now at almost 31 weeks the only time I feel proper movement is when I'm lying flat on my back. If I'm active the only kicks/punches I can feel are the ones in my cervix or I can feel her wriggling around my ribs and near my hip bone. I have to admit I hate having an anterior placenta.

Pineapple80 Mon 27-Mar-17 08:51:54

On and off from 18 weeks, some days nothing other days a lot. I'm 30wks now and finally having strong movements every day.

I can understand how it is very nerve racking. I asked the obstetrician about this and he said it's pretty normal for anterior placenta. I definitely felt more with DC1 where placenta was posterior

ellesbellesxxx Mon 27-Mar-17 08:53:08

I am expecting twins, one of whom had an anterior placenta (although it seems to have moved now!)
I had to concentrate really hard to feel him moving.. most of the movements were around my sides or really low down.
I didn't feel them both properly kicking until almost 23 weeks though so don't panic if it's not straight awau

lottafizz Mon 27-Mar-17 08:54:03

It's my first pregnancy and i was worried that I hadn't felt any movement by my 20 week scan. That was when they told me i had an anterior placenta and not to worry. I first felt movement at 22 weeks, lying on my front on a sunbed with the back at an angle so my bump rested in the space. You could do something like this with a pillow above and below you bump. I found the constricted space meant i could feel more. I found that i had to concentrate on the baby to notice anything. Try to lie flat, be calm and just hold your bump lightly. I also could feel the baby's heartbeat around the same time, when it was lying higher than my placenta. Once the movement starts you will notice it more easily. smile

WishUponAStar88 Mon 27-Mar-17 08:55:35

I felt nothing until after the 20week scan so must've been about 20 weeks

namechange20050 Mon 27-Mar-17 09:02:15

23 weeks for me. Then nothing for a while. It took ages to become a regular thing.

DuggeeHugs Mon 27-Mar-17 09:08:47

17 weeks, but it helped that I remembered the feeling from last time. Gas bubbles sounds like a good description of movement to me smile

Movement has been strong and regular since then. The one time it stopped at 22 weeks I called the midwives and they checked it out. This was the first time I was told placenta was anterior and they said to come back if it happens again.

I'm 23 weeks now so slightly worried I'll have a few extra visits like last time but, as the midwife said, better safe than sorry.

MiniMaxi Mon 27-Mar-17 09:09:03

18 weeks but I think mine was slightly to one side so that may have made a difference

Gas bubbles popping will be it! Mine was little taps against the waistband of my jeans (bearing in mind that is low on maternity jeans) smile

knust Mon 27-Mar-17 09:28:29

This is my third and I felt no flutters or 'bubbles' type movements at all, I felt my first definite movements at 18 weeks which were like gentle pokes, but they weren't regular.
It was only by about 20 weeks that I was feeling something most days, but it was only a few movements per day.
Now I'm 22 weeks and the movements have only increased in frequency a little bit, strangely enough, I do seem to feel them at the front, but they are much more muffled than my previous two pregnancies. I started being able to feel the kicks from the outside last week, which surprised me, it's a very odd sensation coupled with the dampened feeling inside.
Like others I tend to only feel movements when I'm sitting still in the evenings but have occasionally felt things at other times of the day, I still have days, like yesterday, when I feel next to nothing all day.

Orangebird69 Mon 27-Mar-17 09:57:16

I had anterior placenta and didn't feel anything until at least 22 weeks. Tbh, sometimes even at 28/30 weeks he would 'disappear'! Frightened the life out of me but they're still pretty small then and can move where you can't feel them.

chelle85 Mon 27-Mar-17 19:53:35

Thanks for all the replies ladies. I keep trying to concentrate when I feel the bubbles but then it stops! We actually nicknamed baby 'bubbles' erly on in this pregnancy on account of the amount of gas he has given me so teying to distinguish between gas and kicks is hard!! Hopefully will start to feel something more definitive soon. Still doesn't feel entirely real!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now