Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

20 weeks pregnant WITH chicken pox

(6 Posts)
InSpace Sun 26-Mar-17 13:24:12

Are there any moms out there that gave birth to healthy babies after getting chicken pox during their pregnancies? Needless to say, I am scared out of my mind because of this unforeseen situation. When I was 18 weeks pregnant we visited a daycare for my younger daughter. They had an outbreak of chicken pox, which I was unaware of. On top of that, I thought I was immune to chicken pox, I thought I was vaccinated as a kid. Turns out, I had no antibodies for chicken pox, something that the midwife failed to inform me of. Right now, at 20 weeks, I am suffering from chickenpox quite heavily, as I have blisters even in places like eyelids, mouth, throat, inside ears, genitals apart from the other regular places. I'm in hell. What's worse is that every second of the day I worry about my baby. Does the baby have chances of being born healthy? What are we up against? Anybody out there with some insight?

Izzy24 Sun 26-Mar-17 13:30:41

Your midwife did not fail to inform you that you had no antibodies for chickenpox; this is not a routine antenatal blood test.

Google NHS Choices chickenpox pregnancy where you will find good advice.

I hope you feel much better very soon .

MollyHuaCha Sun 26-Mar-17 13:36:10

Oh poor you, that's terrible. Does your midwife know you have CP? flowersflowersflowers

AnoiseAnnoysanOyster Sun 26-Mar-17 13:43:50

Chicken pox is not routinely vaccinated against in the U.K so you wouldn't have had it as a child. Unless you aren't in the U.K. of course.

InSpace Sun 26-Mar-17 14:07:08

Yes, she did. When I asked her "so, anything to report on my recent blood examination?" she answered to me "nothing to worry about, all is fine". Among the data related to my blood test were also the results of whether I had or hadn't antibodies for chicken pox. It was there on her computer screen right in front of her. My mistake was not asking her to print it out for me so that I can study it at home. I live in the Netherlands. The medical system here is really bad.

Izzy24 Sun 26-Mar-17 16:08:42

Aah I see.

Well I can't comment on the system in the Netherlands but the information on NHS choices will still be useful to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now