Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sharp pains at 38 weeks

(14 Posts)
lovelycats Sat 25-Mar-17 19:22:59

I'm 38 weeks pregnant and for about a week I've had intermittent sharp pain really low down and a feeling like baby might be burrowing out or something. It happens when I stand up, and I have to stand still for a minute until it passes. Also happens when walking any distance, but there isn't a pattern to it, might not have it for hours then it appears. This is my first baby, but I know it's not contractions as it's not like period pain at all, it's a sharp 'takes your breath away' kind of pain and is worse when I feel him moving around.

I had a look at previous MN threads for some answers before I posted, but the only thing I found even close to this were described as 'crotch zingers' by MNetters grin Seems reasonable....

Is there something possibly wrong or does this seem normal? I did mention it to midwife and she said "It's because you're pregnant." Helpful....

Thanks.

Uiscebeatha85 Sat 25-Mar-17 19:28:04

I got this and my waters broke the next morning! Maybe a coincidence... doesn't sound like much to worry about though

GreenGoblin0 Sat 25-Mar-17 19:43:12

crotch zingers or fanny daggers! am also 38 weeks and have been having these for the last few weeks. ouchie!

reikizen Sat 25-Mar-17 19:48:07

Perfectly normal late pregnancy sensations. It is your pelvic (autocorrect initially changed pelvic to pelican!) floor and cervix making changes in preparation for labour to begin. By that I don't mean like, tonight, although it may! I just mean the magic unknowable process of birth!

lovelycats Sat 25-Mar-17 19:54:54

Thanks so much. I was worried there might be a problem, it's bloody painful! Got them while driving the other day and had to pull over for 5 mins. EVERY bump on the road was like being poked in the vagina with a fork!

paperandpaint Sat 25-Mar-17 20:37:03

I had one last week at 37 weeks! It was awful but still here at 38 weeks, very pregnant and very fed up!

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 26-Mar-17 06:50:55

Yep been having them a while. Now 39/3

Baby burrowing out is a good term. Feel she is head butting me and pain takes breath away and it's ouch

lovelycats Sun 26-Mar-17 08:23:40

Do you think it means baby's head is engaged? These pains peak any time I do anything strenuous like walking a couple of miles or hoovering! So thats what I'm going to do from now on!

showmeislands Sun 26-Mar-17 10:50:14

I'm 38 weeks and having these too, especially immediately on standing up. Gets better once I've been up for 5 mins or so. Read it somewhere described as lightening crotch!

jobrum Sun 26-Mar-17 10:57:09

Fanny daggers. Feels like it goes right through my cervix. Stupid pregnancy!

lovelycats Sun 26-Mar-17 11:12:57

Crotch zingers, fanny daggers and lightening crotch all sound spot on! Walked a few miles this morning (waddled, slowly) and initially they came every 100 yards but stopped completely after a while. I'm definitely fed up too, I want to meet my baby!

maisybobbins Sun 26-Mar-17 11:35:33

Does it feel like you're being scratched from the inside? Could literally be baby's fingernails. I definitely felt mine!

lovelycats Sun 26-Mar-17 11:42:48

Oh god that sounds awful...confused

Can't say it does, just heavy pressure and a nagging sharp pain from my pubic bone downwards. It's also not as cute when he rolls around anymore. I find myself trying to soothe and slow him down a bit sometimes because it's uncomfortable.

harleysmammy Sun 26-Mar-17 11:45:04

Does it kinda feel like a sharp shooting/shocking pain like in your cervix or in your lady area?? Im not as far as you, im 35 weeks in 2 days but i have been having that feeling for about a week on or off and it makes me stop still for a moment to stop it being so painful. I asked my consultant and she said its the baby's head pushing on the cervix making it painful. Have you got a big baby or are you very low down? I have a massive baby, extra fluid and i carry low so thats also why j reckon i keep getting the pains, could be just a coincidence but i think it is more than likely the baby pressing down x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now