Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Sharp pains at 38 weeks

(14 Posts)
lovelycats Sat 25-Mar-17 19:22:59

I'm 38 weeks pregnant and for about a week I've had intermittent sharp pain really low down and a feeling like baby might be burrowing out or something. It happens when I stand up, and I have to stand still for a minute until it passes. Also happens when walking any distance, but there isn't a pattern to it, might not have it for hours then it appears. This is my first baby, but I know it's not contractions as it's not like period pain at all, it's a sharp 'takes your breath away' kind of pain and is worse when I feel him moving around.

I had a look at previous MN threads for some answers before I posted, but the only thing I found even close to this were described as 'crotch zingers' by MNetters grin Seems reasonable....

Is there something possibly wrong or does this seem normal? I did mention it to midwife and she said "It's because you're pregnant." Helpful....

Thanks.

Uiscebeatha85 Sat 25-Mar-17 19:28:04

I got this and my waters broke the next morning! Maybe a coincidence... doesn't sound like much to worry about though

GreenGoblin0 Sat 25-Mar-17 19:43:12

crotch zingers or fanny daggers! am also 38 weeks and have been having these for the last few weeks. ouchie!

reikizen Sat 25-Mar-17 19:48:07

Perfectly normal late pregnancy sensations. It is your pelvic (autocorrect initially changed pelvic to pelican!) floor and cervix making changes in preparation for labour to begin. By that I don't mean like, tonight, although it may! I just mean the magic unknowable process of birth!

lovelycats Sat 25-Mar-17 19:54:54

Thanks so much. I was worried there might be a problem, it's bloody painful! Got them while driving the other day and had to pull over for 5 mins. EVERY bump on the road was like being poked in the vagina with a fork!

paperandpaint Sat 25-Mar-17 20:37:03

I had one last week at 37 weeks! It was awful but still here at 38 weeks, very pregnant and very fed up!

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 26-Mar-17 06:50:55

Yep been having them a while. Now 39/3

Baby burrowing out is a good term. Feel she is head butting me and pain takes breath away and it's ouch

lovelycats Sun 26-Mar-17 08:23:40

Do you think it means baby's head is engaged? These pains peak any time I do anything strenuous like walking a couple of miles or hoovering! So thats what I'm going to do from now on!

showmeislands Sun 26-Mar-17 10:50:14

I'm 38 weeks and having these too, especially immediately on standing up. Gets better once I've been up for 5 mins or so. Read it somewhere described as lightening crotch!

jobrum Sun 26-Mar-17 10:57:09

Fanny daggers. Feels like it goes right through my cervix. Stupid pregnancy!

lovelycats Sun 26-Mar-17 11:12:57

Crotch zingers, fanny daggers and lightening crotch all sound spot on! Walked a few miles this morning (waddled, slowly) and initially they came every 100 yards but stopped completely after a while. I'm definitely fed up too, I want to meet my baby!

maisybobbins Sun 26-Mar-17 11:35:33

Does it feel like you're being scratched from the inside? Could literally be baby's fingernails. I definitely felt mine!

lovelycats Sun 26-Mar-17 11:42:48

Oh god that sounds awful...confused

Can't say it does, just heavy pressure and a nagging sharp pain from my pubic bone downwards. It's also not as cute when he rolls around anymore. I find myself trying to soothe and slow him down a bit sometimes because it's uncomfortable.

harleysmammy Sun 26-Mar-17 11:45:04

Does it kinda feel like a sharp shooting/shocking pain like in your cervix or in your lady area?? Im not as far as you, im 35 weeks in 2 days but i have been having that feeling for about a week on or off and it makes me stop still for a moment to stop it being so painful. I asked my consultant and she said its the baby's head pushing on the cervix making it painful. Have you got a big baby or are you very low down? I have a massive baby, extra fluid and i carry low so thats also why j reckon i keep getting the pains, could be just a coincidence but i think it is more than likely the baby pressing down x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: