Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Any successful ECV's?

(20 Posts)
Lotsofqueries Sat 25-Mar-17 19:02:25

Need your stories to make the right decision please!

INeedNewShoes Sat 25-Mar-17 19:07:52

Do you mind if I lurk?

33 weeks and baby seems determined to stay head up...

SaltedCaramelEverything Sat 25-Mar-17 19:11:23

Also lurking... hope some more hopeful posters are about soon OP

McBaby Sat 25-Mar-17 19:25:44

Baby was head down till 37+4 when she decided to turn transverse. At 38 weeks I was given choice of immediate ecv and induction or c section as I was contracting.

They gave me a drug to relax my uterus and stop the contractions. It took 10 seconds to turn her back and it wasn't painful at all for me. They were scanning her while turning and then I was monitored cliff a couple of hours before they started my induction. She was born 36 hours after the ecv.

mistermagpie Sat 25-Mar-17 19:28:04

I haven't had one and wouldn't, but a friend did (she said it was horrible and it didn't work anyway) and I mentioned it to my midwife in passing, The midwife said she personally would never agree to an ECV, in her opinion they were a waste of time and potentially dangerous. Take from that whatever you like...

Emma2803 Sat 25-Mar-17 19:29:58

I had a successful ECV at 37+4 first baby and big enough. Didn't find it painful, had two midwives and consultant do the procedure and the had ultrasound scanner on baby the whole time. Was induced at 40+4 as they estimated a 10lb+ baby and ended up needing an emergency c section anyway. He wasn't very far down birth canal and got distressed using forceps. Hey ho such is life! If I hadn't of had a c section I would be doing it again for further births.

Lotsofqueries Sat 25-Mar-17 19:39:35

There's such a mix of opinions on it and I don't know what to do for the best.

Lotsofqueries Sat 25-Mar-17 19:40:37

And it seems few peeps go on to have c section anyway because of other complications even after a successful ecv?

AlsoKnownAsMillicent Sat 25-Mar-17 19:47:02

I had a successful ECV at 34 weeks, and went on to have a water birth at the local Midwife-led centre. I couldn't have been happier.

During the procedure I was about to tell the consultant that it was getting uncomfortable and he told me it was done... I was monitored for an hour and then allowed to go home. My DS then went to term.

I had heard some unpleasant stories of other people's ECV's but it was a good experience for me and I managed to avoid a Caesarean.

Borntoflyinfirst Sat 25-Mar-17 19:47:06

I had one that was 'successful'. It wasn't very pleasant but I chose it rather than book in for c-sec as had two other children. Was deemed a success at the time however she wasn't in the right position, got stuck and after an hour or so of pushing I ended up with an ecs anyway. If I could turn back time I would've just booked in for the c-sec. It would have been less traumatic and I probably wouldn't have lost half my blood during the op! Plus I could probably have been sterilised at the same time but that's another story

Moregilmoregirls Sat 25-Mar-17 19:49:23

I was offered one but would not have one, luckily baby turned, have you checked out the exercises on spinningbabies.com? They got mine to turn.

GreedyDuck Sat 25-Mar-17 20:06:19

My dd was head up from very early on and didn't show any sign of shifting so I didn't give it any consideration at all and opted for an ELCS. I don't regret my decision in the slightest.

Had she been head down originally and shifted breech or transverse later on I might have thought about an ECV, but I just felt that she was obviously happy where she was and I didn't want to risk something happening with her cord, or an emcs.

One of my nct group had one, but her dd turned back and she ended up with a cs anyway.

Sparklyuggs Sat 25-Mar-17 20:18:00

My SIL had one, took two attempts but was successful. She was then induced and had a forceps delivery. She said if she could do it again she would have chosen a c section but that was to do with the three day labour and forceps than the ECV.

Lotsofqueries Sat 25-Mar-17 21:32:57

Are these all 1st pregnancies? Does 2nd make a difference?

seven201 Sat 25-Mar-17 21:36:48

I had a failed ecv. It was a tad uncomfy but that's all. The doctor was very clear that if the baby didn't feel like it was going to shift or was in distress (they monitor) then they'd just stop. Baby didn't shift so they stopped. Well they managed to turn her about 30 degrees but she just pinged back straight away. I did love my c-section. Nct friend had a successful ecv for a huge baby. Did end in c-section thought due to being so big.

Doublechocolatetiffin Sat 25-Mar-17 21:44:50

I had a successful ECV at 41 weeks. Turned to head down within 5 mins, no drugs used and whilst there was some discomfort it really wasn't bad at all.

I was induced just over a week later and had a vaginal birth, despite her being back to back and getting stuck for a while.

All in all I thought it was a great procedure, I couldn't believe how quickly they'd turned her, especially as I was given very low odds of success (less than 10%) given how big she was. I was thrilled to have avoided a c-sec.

Occadodo Sat 25-Mar-17 21:48:25

I had ECV with DC2 .... 36 weeks ... it took about 7 attempts and it was AGONY!!! Not uncomfortable!!!
DS was eventually shifted and I was told that it was difficult shift !
After ECV DS stopped growing and was born with CP ... we think he cord became trapped!

lovelycats Sat 25-Mar-17 22:06:08

No ECV here, sorry. But I was breech at 35 week MW appointment and she arranged a scan at 37 weeks to check presentation and do ECV if still breech, which I consented to as I desperately wanted to try. I bought an exercise ball and spent days crawling on all fours, sitting on the floor with my bum in the air and bouncing on the ball. I have no idea if any of this worked, but at my scan (37+6 weeks) the baby was in the correct position. When my MW discussed ECV with me she was insistent that I read this from the Royal College of Obstetricians and NOT google.

Not terribly helpful as I have no experience of ECV but your baby may turn on it's own.

INeedNewShoes Sat 25-Mar-17 22:23:53

Thanks for linking that paper Lovely. It gives an ECV success rate of 40% for first pregnancies whereas the success rate usually quoted is 50% (which is the stat for women who have given birth before). Aside from 40% success rate for first pregnancies it reads quite positively about ECV.

I wonder if there are any more recent studies on the subject. I'll have a search in a bit.

harleysmammy Sat 25-Mar-17 23:50:59

I know this was over 40 years ago now, but when my nan was pregnant with my uncle they tried turning him quite a few times. She's never said it hurt or anything but she did say out of all the times they did it - think it was like 7 times from 35 weeks - he either went straight up again to breech or he didnt turn in the first place, she still ended up having a c section. I know things have changed since then but surely the principle of evc's are the same still? Im very glad my baby has gone head down for the last few weeks as i would definitely rather a c section over an evc but my friend is adamant she doesn't want a c section so she has no choice but to try and turn him..its whatever your comfortable with i guess x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now