Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

"Empty" sac at 7 weeks

(10 Posts)
MistyBxx Sat 25-Mar-17 10:45:59

I'm in a bit of a state 😭 had an early scan on 23rd March (paid for privately - I've had no bleeding, spotting, bad cramps or anything at all to suggest anything is wrong, I'm just a complete stress head) I was 7 weeks on the dot and there was nothing but an empty sac 😩 it measured 8.4mm and had no yolk sac, embryo, fetal pole or heartbeat within it. It was an internal scan too.
She said my dates could be out but I don't know how as it was exactly 7 weeks to the day of the start of my last period. Not 100% sure exactly what day I ovulated but I've a feeling it was on cd14 and I only dtd 6 times that cycle so I've figured out which occasions I could have conceived and regardless of that, it still puts me at 7 weeks going by the way the doctors work it out, on last period.
She also spotted a suspected endometrioma on one ovary but I've had no idea it was there and she said that's not a massive issue if I've not had symptoms or noticed it before.
I've got another scan in 9 days time (early pregnancy unit nhs) I'm just wondering if anyone else is in the same position or has had a positive result from this. I'm feeling pretty distraught, this is my first ever pregnancy, we tried hard for 7 months and I'm absolutely devastated thinking the worst. I have slightly tender breasts but no other symptoms. No sickness, no more tired than normal, food aversions, nothing.
Just looking for any possible reassurance or any way of coming back from this...? My heart is breaking xx

SleepFreeZone Sat 25-Mar-17 10:50:22

It does sound to me like this could be a blighted ovum. It's not uncommon but would be classed as a MMC. Sometimes your body does hang onto the pregnancy without realising it's not developing correctly. I've had three miscarriages, with the one that got to 11 weeks my body ever bled once. I had lots of symptoms and only found out the pregnancy had ended at my 12 week scan.

They will scan again and see if there is anything there and your dates are out. Fingers crossed for you OP xx

MistyBxx Sat 25-Mar-17 11:06:10

Oh my god. I've literally never heard of that before. Just googled it and it doesn't sound good at all. I can't believe it. I'm tempted to do a pg test but I literally can't bear it if it comes up negative and then I have all that time to wait for the scan to confirm it (also got a family funeral next week which is going to be sad enough) The gp was so dismissive, she was sure my dates are just out and I'm worried over nothing but it's weird, I don't "feel" pregnant right now and my dates can't be out if I go from the first day of last period coz that doesn't change. I'm praying for a miracle but feeling absolutely devastated now x

MistyBxx Sat 25-Mar-17 11:07:41

Thank you sleepfree for the info and I'm so sorry for your losses. I obviously knew not all bfps end in a baby but I just hoped I would be one of the lucky ones.x

SleepFreeZone Sat 25-Mar-17 11:14:41

MistyB I think all you can do is have hope but also have a think about what you want to do if the pregnancy is not progressing. I know I'm being quite factual and not throwing fairy dust about but that's because you seem certain about dates. If you weren't really sure and weren't tracking conception I probably wouldn't have replied at all.

By the way conceiving within 7 months is not long at all abdbone miscarriage does not increase the chances of another and for many people they go on to conceive again pretty much at sight away after their miscarriage is complete. So even if it is the worst possible result please don't feel devastated as there is lots and lots of happiness ahead of you I'm sure xxx 💐

SleepFreeZone Sat 25-Mar-17 11:15:09

*and one miscarriage

MistyBxx Sat 25-Mar-17 11:22:29

Thank you, no I'm not after hopes and wishes, I'm genuinely concerned. I didn't go for the early scan because of any intuition or worry, I'm just impatient and stressy but I fully expected to see something. I went in aware of the worst but expecting the best. I watched my sister go through 3 hideous mc's then continue to have my beautiful nephew. And watched my other sister fall pg and have a perfect pg with my other gorgeous nephew. I know there's life the other side of the rainbow, I just hoped I wouldn't have to go through it myself. Thanks for your advice and kind words. I'm just going to carry on as I am for the next 9 days and try not to upset myself too much coz either way, there's absolutely nothing else I can do xx

MercyMyJewels Sat 25-Mar-17 11:24:03

I had a blighted ovum with my first pg at 8 weeks. Was also devastated. Had a D&C but would have miscarried if left. It sounds the same. It is not uncommon at all.

I went on to have 2 beautiful boys, now teenagers

flowers

MangoSplit Sat 25-Mar-17 11:24:33

I think that early scans can cause more stress than they're worth. I really hope it works out ok for you flowers

WorriedAndCrazy Sat 25-Mar-17 12:24:09

I had a MMC last year at 13+4 scan. Found out baby had died around 4/5 weeks. I had no signs, pains or bleeding. In fact I had every pregnancy symptom going. I did have a gut feeling though which I've never been able to explain. I knew from my positive test that something was going to go wrong. After my scan I done a test when I got home and it came up a strong positive straight away so this isn't a reliable way to know if everything is alright. I'm not saying that to be horrible but there were many times I was tempted to do another test before my scan but was too scared and I'm glad I never now as it would have probably made me think everything was ok. I had to wait another week for a follow up scan to be 100% sure which was soul destroying as I knew it was impossible for me to be 9 weeks out. By the the time of the second scan the sac had continued to grow to around 15 weeks even though the embryo had stopped growing at least 10 weeks previously sad. It's a horrible thing to go through and I really hope everything works out for you flowers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now