We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Iron Rich Cereals and Vegetarian Foods

(7 Posts)
Samila Sat 25-Mar-17 00:51:44

Anyone recommend any vegetarian food that is rich in iron? My iron levels are on the low side and I have a few weeks to increase iron levels naturally after which I'll have to resort to iron tablets which I'm keen to avoid. Any cereals fortified in iron that anyone can recommend also? Thanks in advance xx

Spring2016 Sat 25-Mar-17 01:17:53

Cream of Wheat is iron rich

Spring2016 Sat 25-Mar-17 01:20:40

I googled after replying, my mother used to say cream of wheat, but I do not see it listed anywhere, so I am unsure.

ImSoUnoriginal Sat 25-Mar-17 01:27:23

Broccoli is good and spinach . You do have to eat an awful lot for it to be effective. I was in your position and ended up taking the iron tablets for a few weeks, then stopped as soon as my levels were higher. I wanted to give birth in a centre, rather than hospital and they wouldn't let me, if my levels were even a bit low. The tablets are not too bad if you take something to relieve the inevitable constipation, at the same time. Good luck.

Katiepotato Sat 25-Mar-17 01:40:02

Spinach, tofu, soya based products, lentils, eggs, baked beans. I was told fortified cereals weren't that good cos they contained stuff (can't remember what) that reduced how much iron you actually absorbed from it. And always have your iron rich foods with juice or something else with lots of vitamin c and avoid tea/coffee

10storeylovesong Sat 25-Mar-17 08:25:56

I've had anaemia previously and dr recommended Shreddies. A friend at work had the same recommendation from a different dr!

ThisNight Sat 25-Mar-17 08:39:54

Dried apricots, eggs, spinach, black beans.

Spatone if you need to supplement - avoids constipation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now