Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Does anyone else worry that there will be nothing visible on an early scan?

(14 Posts)
DuRezidal Fri 24-Mar-17 15:25:50

I have this very irrational fear (or maybe not, who knows) that I will go for my second early scan next week and there will be nothing to see.

I know so many people who have had CPs and early miscarriages and it has made me so nervous! In my last pregnancy I didn't really know anything about things like that as I was one of the first people to have a baby in my circle of friends. But since then, I just seem to hear so many sad stories from friends of their very upsetting news.

Is this just me who feels like this? Please feel free to tell me to get a grip of myself as I know that is what I would be saying to the OP if I was reading this :-)

SaorAlbaGuBrath Fri 24-Mar-17 15:30:04

My first scan with DD was a shock because I thought I was further on than I was and she was about the size of a Rice Krispie. Tiny wee thing but her heartbeat was unmistakable. I'd had mc before too and was terrified.

DuRezidal Fri 24-Mar-17 16:42:11

I bet you were relieved when you saw a heartbeat.

JumpingJellybeanz Fri 24-Mar-17 16:45:22

I had my first scan at 12 weeks and was terrified they'd find nothing and it'd all be a figment of my imagination. Felt the same at the next one even though it made no sense what so ever.

DinosaurFanGirl Fri 24-Mar-17 16:54:51

Yes this is a completely usual fear and one I had for all previous 3 scans! Even though I had no reason to think anything had happened resulting in no baby at the last 2 scans I still was worried about it!!

PlayOnWurtz Fri 24-Mar-17 17:00:41

Ive had 2 early scans this time and a 3rd on Monday coming. No heartbeat seen yet but it's been too small. I'm hoping 10 days growth means we will see a heart beat clear as day!

DinosaurFanGirl Fri 24-Mar-17 17:19:58

I had an early scan at 7 wks (due to immense side pain) and saw a heartbeat, was a relief!

SaorAlbaGuBrath Fri 24-Mar-17 20:28:02

DuRezidal I was! I burst into tears!

OnNaturesCourse Fri 24-Mar-17 21:32:15

How far along will you be

Sparklyuggs Fri 24-Mar-17 23:25:36

Yes, I didn't sleep the whole night before my first scan at 8w. It felt like the longest 4 weeks of my life from the positive test until then, and I waited until 8w as I knew we'd either see a heartbeat or have a reasonable certainty that it wasn't going to progress (from what I'd read on here a heartbeat at 6/7w isn't always seen, so you are asked to come back in a week). It was such a relief to see the blob and the heartbeat in that scan.

Misssmoo Sat 25-Mar-17 05:53:44

I'm 12 weeks and still haven't had a scan I'm going mad it's the waiting xxx

raviolidreaming Sat 25-Mar-17 09:45:54

Same as JumpingJellybeanz for me. I had no symptoms until 15 weeks and was convinced my 12 week scan would show nothing.

HN42 Sat 25-Mar-17 17:02:30

I was definitely terrified on my first scan that I had at the EPU at 6 weeks that they'd find nothing but they did. I was nervous about the 12 week scan too but was less worried about nothing showing on that one mainly due to the horrendous sickness I had been experiencing for the 3 weeks leading up to that scan which medical professionals liked to remind me was a good sign just not so fun to endure.

PTphonehome Sat 25-Mar-17 20:15:06

I had an early scan today and was amazed to see a tiny heart beat at 6+4.
I'm in pain and bleeding a little again tonight but having seen the wee heart I'm holding on to a little hope.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now