Talk

Advanced search

Anti-Depressants In Pregnancy

(4 Posts)
Georgieex Thu 23-Mar-17 20:55:02

Hi smile I'm currently 16 + 3 days pregnant and suffer badly with depression..I've always been on meds for it (since I was 15, I've tried diff ones) but currently On fluexotine. Last week the doctor upped my dose from 20mg too 40mg as I was feeling down and bad anxiety for a while but I'm concerned the baby will be affected? I have two children at the mo 2 (nearly 3) and 9 month old. Current baby wasn't "Planned" but happy about it regardless.

I suppose my question is - was anyone eles on depressants whilst pregnant and baby was okay?

Thank you smile

user1483387154 Thu 23-Mar-17 21:01:26

im currently 24 weeks pregnant and on antidepresants (and have been for about 7 years now) I have managed to half my dose but will definitely not be cutting them out altogether. I have been advised that it is more harmful to cut them out and have severe depression and anxiety than it is to be on the medication I take. I have also been told that if my anxiety increases then they will happily go back to my previous dosage.

kathrynelizabeth3005 Fri 24-Mar-17 09:27:23

Hi Georgie. First of all congrats on your pregnancy!

I'm 37 weeks pregnant tomorrow and have been taking citalopram for years. When I first found out about baby, I saw my GP about my medication because like you, didn't want any negative effects to the growing bub.

Essentially what the GP advised is to carry on taking them (I was on 40mg, went down to 20mg but found that didn't work so went up to 40mg again after a few months of struggling) because the benefits outweigh the risks. Similarly, my midwife and the various consultants I've seen have all said the same.

The meds don't cross the placenta in large amounts and if you would be worse off without taking antidepressants, you should carry on for the sake of your own health, particularly as those who have suffered with depression previously are way more at risk of post natal depression.

Personally, I found that I needed to keep myself on an even keel first and foremost and stay the healthiest I could for baby. It would be much worse for the developing bub for its mum's emotions to be wildly all over the place than to have tiny amounts of medication cross over to them in the womb.

Wishing you a happy, healthy pregnancy and sending lots of hugs flowers

Georgieex Fri 24-Mar-17 22:35:00

Thank you both for your replies.. I hate taking them whilst pregnant but I have no choice too..If I don't then I can't sleep properly, my OCD comes back worse and am very unhappy so I'll keep taking them..

My midwife keeps assuring me it will be fine an the baby will be fine.. Happy mummy = happy baby I guess.

Again, thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now