Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dc possibly has slapped cheek - should I worry?

(8 Posts)
AppleG Thu 23-Mar-17 16:58:58

So 2 weeks ago toddler dc had a fever, red rash all over her body and bright red cheeks. Doc said just a virus not to worry (at this point I forgot to mention I was pregnant as she was in a state). Now my other dc has a fever, cold like symptoms and bright red cheeks. I'm worried it might be slapped cheek. Rang my GP and have an appointment on Sunday which is the earliest they have, where I can hopefully get a blood test/test my old bloods.
However reading though past threads on the subject I'm wondering if I should be pushing for bloods sooner than this? Should I be worried? I'm 15 weeks.

Smurf123 Thu 23-Mar-17 17:12:53

I don't know whether it's just in the first trimester but I know I've ended up getting a few weeks subbing in the past as slap cheek was in the class and the teacher who was pregnant at the time was given a sick line from doc and told to stay off as it was best not to be in contact with it... I'd ring gp or out of hours and ask to be sure.. Or even local pharmacy might be able to tell you

DirtyDancing Thu 23-Mar-17 18:32:03

It is most dangerous before 20 weeks. You absolutely need to inform your GP/ midwife as soon as you can

fuzzywuzzy Thu 23-Mar-17 18:35:55

I'd definitely get an emergency appt over this. I caught it off my youngest and I wasn't pregnant and I was in agony.

SarahLinden Thu 23-Mar-17 18:36:19

I had this with my second child and just had more frequent scans to check that all was well. Try not to worry too much - chances are that everything is fine.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Thu 23-Mar-17 18:40:30

it's highly likely you already had this as a child, so you're probably already immune.

NHS page has some good advice. looks like blood tests are the way to go.

AppleG Fri 24-Mar-17 15:09:31

Thank you. I didn't want to wait for my appointment on Sunday so managed to persuade them to give me one today and had some bloods taken, so will see what they show. Feel better now it's done!

vfoster Fri 24-Mar-17 16:52:10

Some people at work had slapped cheek last week. I had blood tests done and the results came back a week later. The midwife and GP said the vast majority of people will be immune and it turned out I was! They also said it was less risky after 12 weeks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now