Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

iron deficent

(22 Posts)
roadrun Thu 23-Mar-17 11:57:47

I'm suffering iron deficiency and been prescribed Ferrous Fumarate 210mg is this quite normal? will these boost my iron levels up? scared

FellOutOfBed2wice Thu 23-Mar-17 11:59:41

It might- I've been ID in both pregnancies and didn't absorb the supplements well so ended up with iron injections and- ultimately- transfusions after the births. It's nothing to worry about. I imagine you feel tired? Eat lots of iron rich food and try spatone water in orange juice if the tablets upset your stomach.

AyeAmarok Thu 23-Mar-17 11:59:43

Yes, very normal. Many women are anaemic in pregnancy and its best to get your levels up a bit ready for the birth.

Don't panic, it's very common.

eliolo Thu 23-Mar-17 12:04:24

Very normal smileI was the same! Just try and drink lots of water and eat plenty of fibre as they can really bung you up! Best to increase your levels now ready for the birth smile

roadrun Thu 23-Mar-17 12:13:31

Oh thank you. What fibre do you recommend and what iron rich food? pork, broccoli, spinach and?

roadrun Thu 23-Mar-17 12:16:02

yes tired, but also sickly, I'm at week 10.

Redyellowpinkblue Thu 23-Mar-17 12:17:20

I've been anaemic since the beginning, tried all manner of things to help but so far still not doing well so I'm actually in hospital right now about to have an iron transfusion. Hoping this helps a bit!

AyeAmarok Thu 23-Mar-17 12:27:00

I recommend Lactulose...

Happyandhungry Thu 23-Mar-17 13:13:32

Totally normal every pregnant lady becomes anaemic during pregnancy in some way and most need iron tablets.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Thu 23-Mar-17 15:13:29

I recommend spatone in orange juice, it doesn't have the nasty side effects of iron tablets. If you have to take them I'd definitely take something for constipation.

eliolo Thu 23-Mar-17 16:29:56

I ate loads of dried apricots grinand fresh mango! They were the only things that helped blush

AndHoldTheBun Thu 23-Mar-17 16:54:22

You've mentioned pork, so I assume you're not veggie smile lamb or beef would have higher levels of bioavailable iron, if you're not keen of a big slab of meat, something like steak fajitas is excellent, squeeze a bit of lime juice over it, the vitamin c helps with absorbing it.
Liver is also very good (and full of other nutrients too).

eliolo Thu 23-Mar-17 18:55:44

Liver isn't recommended in pregnancy due to the high levels of vitamin A smilebut agree with the beef suggestion!

FreedomMummy Thu 23-Mar-17 18:57:28

I had this in pregnancy and after I had my DD. I second the pp who said Spatone in orange juice. It is far more gentle on your system but is very effective at boosting your iron.

AndHoldTheBun Thu 23-Mar-17 21:22:08

Re liver in pregnancy - unless you are eating polar bear or seal liver (fairly unlikely smile), eating normal amounts of liver (i.e. once or twice a week) isn't going to cause any problems despite that being the official advice. Synthetic vitamin A supplements are potentially dangerous at high dose and that seems to have influenced the official advice - "don't eat liver, it's got vitamin A in it". Synthetic vitamins are not always the same form/metabolised in the same way as the equivalent vitamin found in food.

Here's a link (ignore mentions of Mercola!) there are links to studies done on toxic effects of liver, it's quite interesting (I did choose to eat moderate amounts of liver in pregnancy).
https://wellnessmama.com/12579/organ-meats-healthy/

jcne Thu 23-Mar-17 23:04:38

I feel much better now I'm taking FF. I hadn't even realised but the difference is remarkable. I'm going to take one pack then start on spatone as they are pretty strong.

eliolo Fri 24-Mar-17 10:29:32

Oh that's really interesting about the liver thing! I'm guessing it's just easier for midwives to say a general not advised rather than explain the ins and outs smile

AndHoldTheBun Fri 24-Mar-17 12:31:38

I think that's exactly it... a simple easy message, but as with a lot of health messages all the subtlety is then lost.

SunnyDayDreaming101 Sat 25-Mar-17 21:34:52

Not to worry at all, it's totally normal and not so long ago all prego women were put on iron.

I'm on 3x that dose plus liquid iron and it's not coming up to what it should be. Docs are going to try alternatives but have no idea what the heck that could be till Monday confused

The constipation is friggin horrific though! Still haven't found a way to avoid that issue - all suggestions welcome!

Fibre rich foods, dried apricots, loads of water, fruit with skin on, gallons of OJ none of it helps. Lactoluse makes me SO gassy and well toxic is probably an understatement and what little effect is has isn't worth it at all!!! envyenvyblush

Coreynkayden Mon 27-Mar-17 08:46:55

I think i might have a low iron i dont feel tired but im constantly dizzy sad

AndHoldTheBun Mon 27-Mar-17 13:48:16

Could be magnesium deficiency (or B12), rather than iron deficiency.

Has your dizziness been checked out by you GP?

Coreynkayden Mon 27-Mar-17 13:56:12

Not yet as iv bin busy with my 2 other kids but in my first pregnancy i was dizzy all time and it turned out to be my iron levels being low so i assumed it must be same thing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now