Talk

Advanced search

VBAC? Advise on which way to go

(5 Posts)
CurlyWurlyC Tue 21-Mar-17 21:35:55

I had an emergency C sec with my first born (because we both became badly infected after he opened bowls) and I'm over half way through with my second now, I've got an appointment with antenatal next week to discuss pros and cons on VBAC. I wanted to do some research myself before I go online but thought has anyone got their own advise/stories as well? I'm worried mainly about the scar tearing I don't know how likely this will be?
My due date is 2 years 1 month to the day after DS1 was born
TIA

trilbydoll Tue 21-Mar-17 21:39:00

I had an elcs for dd2.

Pros:
Easy to sort childcare
I didn't go mad imagining various horror scenarios of natural childbirth grin

Cons:
First two weeks recovery much harder than dd1 but ok after that. Fine for dh to go back to work Week 3.
I had to stay in hosp but obviously dh had dd1 to look after and I felt so alone, it was awful. Definitely should have arranged a rota of friends to visit.

BeyondThePage Tue 21-Mar-17 21:39:57

I had EMCS for first (undiagnosed breech) and VBAC for second. All went tickety boo. No problems during pregnancy or birth. Recovery time was soooooo quick by comparison, a really positive experience.

There are 18 months between my 2.

DuggeeHugs Tue 21-Mar-17 21:50:59

Just over halfway with DC2. DC1 was EMCS.

I've made a spreadsheet of pros and cons, as well as specific risks based on my circumstances. I've requested an ELCS and fighting the consultant for this as they're pro-VBAC.

My hospital has a 53% VBAC success rate, according to Which?, another factor which doesn't inspire confidence. Googling this for your hospital might be a good place to start?

123bananas Tue 21-Mar-17 21:59:25

I tried vbac second time around after EMCS with first (7 minutes to get her out, heart rate dipping, she was stuck), didn't achieve it but my section (baby stuck as hadn't rotated enough in birth canal) although emergency was more like a planned c section. They were all ready to go if the ventouse didn't work. Jazz music playing, quite relaxed. Don't regret trying at all. Recovery was better than first emcs by far. I wanted to try vbac2c with ds, but placenta praevia put paid to that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now