Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone tears their own wee (sorry)

(11 Posts)
JonSnowsWhore Tue 21-Mar-17 18:17:42

So I've recently changed hospitals & had my booking in appointment at the new one yesterday at 28 weeks. The midwife took my blood pressure & said it was high, but not over 90 (?) so not immediate danger. She also tested my urine & said there was such a tiny trace of protein but in the end decided it was clear. So for preeclampsia she said to look out for headaches, blurred vision, and pain in my side. Problem is I have a neuro condition that gives me headaches & blurred vision anyway so I'd never tell the difference, and had gallstones brought on by my last pregnancy so any twinges I've had in my side I've put down to pregnancy possibly causing gallstones again.

I've bought some wee test strips online, has anyone used them before? Are they easy to read etc? Am I completely over reacting even though it's the only way I'd potentially know if something was wrong unless I completely swelled up??

JonSnowsWhore Tue 21-Mar-17 18:18:05

Argh titled obviously meant to say tested blush

Helbelle75 Tue 21-Mar-17 18:34:14

I have some and they are easy to read. There'should a colour key on the tube they come in. A bit like pH tester strips for a fish tank.

JonSnowsWhore Tue 21-Mar-17 18:38:46

Yea I can roughly see that on the pic online. So you match the colour up to the colour on the chart & that will show whether there's no trace, slight trace, and then increasing amounts due to colour?

I just don't want to look like an idiot running off to the Drs or hospital all the time if I find some & look completely neurotic

PerpetualStudent Tue 21-Mar-17 18:58:20

I had pre-eclampsia with my last pregnancy & ended up with both the wee sticks and a bood pressure monitor at home (£20 argos, my community midwife used the same one!) both easy to read.
140/90 is the BP 'action point' for my hospital, which I guess is what your midwife meant?

No not feel worried about going into hospital if you have any concerns though, they would always rather monitor and test you than miss pre-e, which can come on V quickly.
All the best for the rest of your pregnancy

JonSnowsWhore Tue 21-Mar-17 19:05:16

Thank you I was thinking of getting one of the blood pressure monitors once my bills are paid. Think my bp yesterday was 144/88, possibly 86 I know it was one of the 2. I've never had anything but perfect blood pressure every time I've had it taken, this pregnancy, other pregnancies and other hospital admissions so was a bit confused

kshaw Tue 21-Mar-17 19:09:36

We get first year students to use the strips to test - they are easy!

JonSnowsWhore Tue 21-Mar-17 19:35:19

Ah that's good I didn't want to be agonising over different colours on sticks of my pee all morning!

haveacupoftea Tue 21-Mar-17 20:43:17

I dont think you are over reacting, i'd do the same in your shoes. I'd also call into the chemist or nurse at your GP surgery for a bp check next week.

JonSnowsWhore Tue 21-Mar-17 21:01:02

I've got my glucose test next week & am waiting for a consultant appointment to come through so no doubt there'll be opportunities to have my bp done regularly smile

JonSnowsWhore Mon 27-Mar-17 18:28:56

If anyone is still hanging about on this little thread, when I do the wee test, I get a ring of colour around the outside of the square, but the rest of the square stays the 'negative' colour. Is this still a negative result? Have googled & cant find anything confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now