Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

To sweep or not to sweep?? (40+ weeks)

(10 Posts)
mancnet Tue 21-Mar-17 08:39:43

Hi

My due date was last Thursday and no signs that the baby is on their way

I'm seeing the midwife tomorrow and she said I could have a sweep but it sounds horrendous - is it??

Can't decide whether to give it a go or ask for referral to hospital for full induction (not even sure if this is possible without trying a sweep first??)

Also any "rare" tips for bringing on labour? I've done curry, yoga, pressing pressure points and DTD but nothing - arrggh

Thanks

GreenGoblin0 Tue 21-Mar-17 08:46:10

a sweep is a bit like a smear but more invasive. if your cervix is not favourable the midwife won't be able to perform the procedure. generally they only bring on labour if you are close to that point anyway. if you are not comfortable with the idea of a sweep then you don't have to have one.

unless there is a medical need they won't refer you straight for an induction at 40 weeks you normally go to 42 weeks.

GreenGoblin0 Tue 21-Mar-17 08:48:25

just to add with my first baby the midwife couldn't do sweep st first attempt but at 41+2 was able to do it and waters broke that evening

JohnLapsleyParlabane Tue 21-Mar-17 08:49:23

I had three sweeps. The first one made me giggle because it was such a weird sensation, the same midwife did the second one and it was a bit uncomfortable.
The third one, which worked within 12 hours, was not painful but was uncomfortable and not fun by any stretch of the imagination. Labour was a lot worse than the sweeps.
Regarding induction, in my area a sweep is the first stage intervention on the induction process.

GreenGoblin0 Tue 21-Mar-17 08:51:28

actually 41+4 not that it makes much difference !!

NorthLondonmum83 Tue 21-Mar-17 09:48:06

Had two sweeps in past week as slightly over with baby 2. Neither seem to have progressed anything! Am about to try acupuncture and I'll let you know. Sensation wise found not too uncomfortable tbh but that might be because the midwife wasn't able to get very far.

user1471495191 Tue 21-Mar-17 09:51:18

I think I had 8 sweeps in total. No different to a smear test for me. Only one was painful and that was by a different midwife when I was much further along in labour and she didn't ask my permission. She was told my feelings in no uncertain terms.

Sierra259 Tue 21-Mar-17 09:52:54

I had about 3 sweeps with each of mine as I was determined to avoid induction. I found it uncomfortable but less so than a smear. I went into labour naturally with both, 40+6 with DC1 and 40+5 with DC2.

mancnet Tue 21-Mar-17 09:57:22

Thanks everyone, think I might give it a go then (though really bloody hope baby comes today!)

x

Bellaposy Tue 21-Mar-17 10:00:28

I had a sweep with my DD. I was already in slow labor and I'm not sure it hastened anything but it didn't hurt. I just found it like a smear. Certainly not anything to be worried about. If the midwife can do it, then I would go ahead and have one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now