Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Extreme tiredness. Very early pregnancy.

(38 Posts)
OnNaturesCourse Tue 21-Mar-17 08:30:10

Hey. Im 4weeks and i literally cant keep my eyes open. Its such a struggle, even after a 8 hour im sleeping through alarms and waking exhausted. I know slight tiredness is normal but this feels ridiculous. Anyone else had this or know what it could be?

Jayfee Tue 21-Mar-17 08:31:59

Sounds like pregnancy to me! Cant remember when they start you on iron tabs tho

IamWendy Tue 21-Mar-17 08:35:59

Yeah, it's awful! And that it coincides with that early part when you have to hide it and carry on as normal, it's a killer!

Mysterycat23 Tue 21-Mar-17 08:39:05

Yup normal sorry. Your best bet is to prioritise rest and sleep. Bin any activities outside of work and get DP to do more of housework and cooking etc. Don't be tempted to try and carry on as normal, eat well drink plenty of water and rest up. It will ease for 2nd trimester and return with a vengeance in 3rd trimester!

Olbersparadox Tue 21-Mar-17 08:39:46

My last pregnancies were the same. Extreme fatigue.

SarahOoo Tue 21-Mar-17 08:41:42

Very normal....your body is taking up all your energy for your little one to grow. It will even out but you will feel tired more quickly than usual for the whole time. I'm nearly 38 weeks and can barely get to 9pm without wanting to get in my bed!

Spongebobfrillypants Tue 21-Mar-17 08:46:56

I was extremely tired in my 3rd pregnancy - my first 2 weren't nearly as bad - then I found out I was expecting twins grin

Spongebobfrillypants Tue 21-Mar-17 08:47:39

Just saying

OnNaturesCourse Tue 21-Mar-17 08:54:29

Omg spongebob, don't. Twins run in my family and I keep getting told "twins are due!" 😂 it's my 1st so that would be a shock!

I was on iron along with multivitamin before finding out, but stopped them all. My bloods have never shown any problems but I was quite a tired person before so decided to take the iron tablets and they really helped. Wondering if suddenly stopping them hasn't helped?

Jayfee Tue 21-Mar-17 08:57:27

ask a pharmacist?

PrimeraVez Tue 21-Mar-17 08:59:22

Totally normal smile I remember walking to my bedroom to get my dressing gown when I was newly pregnant with my son. DH found me laying on the bed sobbing because I felt too tired to go back to the lounge!

acornsandnuts Tue 21-Mar-17 09:03:49

It's awful. I remember the feeling of utter exhaustion and sneering from family members saying I was milking it. Mine eased up around 14 weeks and the rest of my pregnancy was absolutely fine.

OnNaturesCourse Tue 21-Mar-17 09:03:59

My DP has been great but I do catch him with a "is she crazy" look on her face when I get out of bed after a long lie and say I'm tired!

Would you guys say my test lines are quite strong for my timeframe?

Heyitsholly Tue 21-Mar-17 09:05:24

Get your bloods tested. I was and still am the same. Even tho they found i was really low on iron. On tabs x3 a day but only a slight improvement

OnNaturesCourse Tue 21-Mar-17 09:07:40

Holly I was tested before I was pregnant and although I was tired the bloods were ok. I took iron tablets anyway as a pick me up. Think it's worth getting tested again this early?

arbrighton Tue 21-Mar-17 09:24:35

It's just normal for first trimester. I felt like that and my iron was fine. Got better from about ten weeks but I can't do too much now or i'm a zombie again, 25weeks

Lules Tue 21-Mar-17 09:26:54

Completely normal. Go to bed as early as you possibly can.

OnNaturesCourse Tue 21-Mar-17 09:37:27

Glad I'm not the only one. It's actually hard to keep it a secret at work. Poor manager is a guy and has no clue lol

BraveButShaking Tue 21-Mar-17 09:39:42

Yeah...had that with my first.
The sort of tiredness that no amount of sleep helped.
I actually found it better to keep occupied rather than retire to my bed....until the sickness started.

Congratulations!

Butterybean Tue 21-Mar-17 09:41:27

I'm nearly 10 weeks and have never been so tired. I feel incredibly lucky as I don't have a job at the moment so I can nap most days - it's depressing though as I used to have so much get up and go, I feel like a sloth, and I feel guilty because my house is a tip. I'm doing the bare minimum and sleeping the rest of the time. I really hope it picks up in 2nd tri...

Lapinlapin Tue 21-Mar-17 09:45:10

Yep, I felt like that -though maybe from 6/7 weeks, so not quite as early as you.

I remember once dh and I were eating dinner, and I was so tired I had to leave him to finish the meal and just go straight to bed! Felt ridiculous, but I just couldn't keep my eyes open.

Definitely was only a 1st trimester thing though. I felt much less tired after about 13 weeks.

OnNaturesCourse Tue 21-Mar-17 09:56:34

Thanks ladies. The sick feeling has started already but not actually been sick.. Yet! But if I was one more person say I look peaky, ill or off colour I might just lose it lol

Notlostjustexploring Tue 21-Mar-17 10:02:12

I got the bone crushing tiredness also. I managed to function at work only because my husband drove me in and drove me back, so I slept there and back and he did literally everything around the house.
It got better by the 10-12 week point, but honestly I have never felt anything like it. I probably had enough energy to leave a burning building, but that's about it! I've currently got a 4 month old waking every hour and I have a horrendous cold and I still don't feel nearly as bad as I did at 8 weeks pregnant.
Both congratulations and sympathies!!

10storeylovesong Tue 21-Mar-17 10:57:54

I'm 12 weeks tomorrow and still have this! I'm due in work in a couple of hours for a 10 hour shift, working until midnight. My ds got me up at 6am this morning to make an Easter bonnet for nursery which he forgot to tell me about and was due in yesterday. I've had to ship him off to in laws early and just spent an hour in tears on the couch as I don't think I can make it. Added to the that the projectile vomiting and I'm a mess. Roll on the second tri...

DuRezidal Tue 21-Mar-17 11:16:36

I am the exact same.

I am a very bad sleeper normally, I literally can do 4 or 5 hours and that's enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now