Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Est birth weight...

(13 Posts)
ColourfulOrangex Mon 20-Mar-17 19:39:02

Hi I'm pregnant with my second child, if I remember rightly when I was pregnant with my son at some point the midwife gave me an estimated birth weight, while I know these can't be 100% I was wondering if anyone knows if they still do this and when roughly they will have a guess, I've bought a variety of baby clothes to be on the safe side but just intrigued I guess smile

HLBug Mon 20-Mar-17 20:40:44

Have they started measuring your bump yet? I have a chart which shows my measurements and where they sit in relation to estimated percentile place when born. So, for example when I was last measured I was on the 90th percentile line. But it's complete bollocks. I measured roughly the same with DS and he came out (at 42+1!) on the 37th percentile. I have 3 different sizes of 'newborn' clothes in my hospital bag to try and be prepared. I've hardly bought any < 8lb clothes though - I figure DH / other family can always nip to shops to buy more if required. I hate the thought of buying loads of small things that will never get used.

ColourfulOrangex Mon 20-Mar-17 20:59:31

That's true, no I'm only just nearly 23 weeks and midwife hasn't seen me since 16 weeks, I had my 20 week scan and baby was measuring under "normal" on their print out thing, my son was only 5lb 13oz...do you know roughly when the midwife will start to measure my bump? I'm not due to see her again until 28 weeks

HLBug Mon 20-Mar-17 21:07:48

My first bump measurement was at 28 weeks, so I'd expect you'd have it done at your next appointment. I think some scanners can 'measure' weight so if you are referred for any extra scans they may give you an idea then. Hopefully you won't need anything extra though, and midwife will be happy with your progress. In my area if you drop below the 10th percentile line they will scan to check everything is going ok.

Was your son full term? 5lb 13oz is a wee tooty. They'll take all that into account second time round though - i.e. they look at what's 'normal' for you as well as the generic percentiles.

ColourfulOrangex Mon 20-Mar-17 21:14:15

He was only 18 days early, thankfully fit and healthy even being that small, I think I'm just concerned as I have been sick for most of the pregnancy so far (just recently stopped)

Thank you HLBug, Hopefully the midwife will have a measure and check everything is Oki When I next see her

HLBug Mon 20-Mar-17 22:24:40

All the best OP smile

EdgarAllenPoe Tue 21-Mar-17 13:07:10

I would take all their measurements with a pinch of salt. I had a growth scan 3 days before I had my son, and they were out by over 1.5 pounds. It is not a precise science. I had the opposite problem to you though, he was a massive fatty (10lbs).

AreWeThereYet000 Tue 21-Mar-17 21:37:14

My first was 5lb 13oz at 39+6. I've just had my second and she was 8lb 11oz at 40+4 so birth weights aren't always similar...it's funny as it was my second measuring small - both with the midwife and scans, so although they can estimate they really aren't anything to go by xx

Mamabear14 Wed 22-Mar-17 06:11:23

I had extra scans due to polyhydramnios in my last pregnancy and also due to the fact they thought she was huge. Her head and stomach were both off the scale and they estimated her at 10lbs at least. She was 8lb 8oz on her due date (I was induced). So I would take whatever they say with a pinch of salt! Same as my first when I was huge and they said it was mostly water and baby about 7lb, he was 8lb 6oz!

ColourfulOrangex Wed 22-Mar-17 07:03:37

Thank you all, I think I'm just worrying a bit as she was measuring under the "norm" when we had the last the scan at 20 weeks and I still hardly have a bump same with my son, I won't rely on them fully, they were out by a lot with some of you wow...congratulations on just having your little one arewethereyet

PastysPrincess Wed 22-Mar-17 07:13:46

It is notoriously difficult to accurately estimate the weight of an unborn baby. I was told mine would be a smallish 7lb and he was actually 11lb 9oz. I measured over all the way through my pregnancy but within tolerances so I wasn't sent for any scans.

If you are sent for regular scans they can measure the amount of growth between scans but this doesn't tell them what the weight is.

I ended making a complaint (big long story not for here) and in their response they said even the most experienced obstetrician would struggle to accurately estimate the weight.

AreWeThereYet000 Wed 22-Mar-17 09:12:37

Thanks colourful smile good luck with the rest of your pregnancy x

mrscrocopop Wed 22-Mar-17 10:10:28

Hi OP, at my 20 week scan my baby was measuring small, possibly due to hyperemisis.... however at 32 weeks I am equally as unthrilled to announce she is now well above 90th percentile! 🤓
Just wanted to put a word in to reassure that 20 weeks is pretty early to be measuring estimated birth weights - long time to go yet.
I am furiously telling myself it's all very subjective anyway and that she will be perfect size! 😋

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now