Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sick Days

(13 Posts)
gigi556 Mon 20-Mar-17 09:26:46

I'm exhausted. Finding things physically difficult the last couple of days - stairs, putting on socks and shoes,etc. Could have really used a day off doing nothing - reading, watching tv etc. I feel lucky that I've so far (30 weeks) had a relatively easy pregnancy with no major issues. I had some morning sickness in the beginning and have only taken one afternoon off sick for that. So in 30 weeks I've taken no sick days really.

Anyway it occurred to me on the way to the station this morning that maybe I should just turn around and have a duvet day, but here I am in the office. Do other people take sick days when they aren't really sick?

CrimsonKing Mon 20-Mar-17 09:32:00

Totally understand how exhausting pregnancy can be but you did the right thing by going in.

I work with women who treat pregnancy like an illness (although to be fair these individuals have poor sick records regardless of pregnancy) the net result is that it makes it so much harder for other women who are genuinely in need of time off when pregnant to not be tarred with the same brush.

SunnyDayDreaming101 Mon 20-Mar-17 13:39:47

It's bloody hard isn't it?! I am 35 weeks and had zero time off. It's not an illness but if I had back pain, breathlessness, pelvic pain, fatigue, anaemia etc etc like this when I wasn't pregnant I would probably be off a little while! For some reason I keep trudging on in case I am judged.

I woke up this morning with a stinking virus that my boss and a few colleagues were off with the other week, but no in I went. WTF do we think we need to prove?! I came home at lunch time and now I'm my pjs lying on the couch feeling well and truely wrecked!

No it's not an illness but do you know what, all the things it does to some of us are! Women should support each other so I say if you are wrecked, in pain and genuinely in need of rest take the damn day off tomorrow. If your non pregnant colleagues woke up feeling like you do majority would be off for a day or two. Don't be a martyr and look after yourself OP flowers

FrizzBombDelight Mon 20-Mar-17 14:08:15

I think you deserve a duvet day! I suppose it depends how "nice" your employers are to you. If you are getting SMP I'd pull a sickie, if you are getting a nice enhanced package then take a midweek annual leave day. I'm 29weeks and the sock struggle is real.

Lucinda15 Mon 20-Mar-17 16:03:16

I think u should be allowed a sick day! Well done for getting this far. I'm 28 weeks pregnant, and have 2 days off for terrible morning sickness in first trimester, 3 consecutive days for sciatica about 3 weeks ago (now resolved thankfully) and one day off last week for just feeling lousy, pretty much as u describe ur feeling today! Midwife thinks I have anaemia and I'm getting bloods done tomorrow.

Pregnancy is not an illness, but it does put the body under strains and demands that need taking into consideration. Extra blood, less room for lungs to work efficiently, more energy required even just at rest... etc etc. somedays, we just need to take a break. My colleagues and boss are thankfully very understanding and supportive of the pregnancy and I've not felt guilty to take the time I have (genuinely) needed. I work hard when I'm there, and I always try to make sure any antenatal appointments are at the end of the day and make time up if/when I can which I think my colleagues appreciate. There will always be people who are given an inch and take a mile, but I'm not going to let them make me feel I need to prove something and plough through when I really feel I can't.

I had no time off for DS1 and commuted to London daily (1.5 hr trip) until I went on mat leave. This pregnancy has been a whole different ball game, I work 15 mins up the road and have struggled with so many more complaints than with DS1s pregnancy and I've just needed to take some time out now and then. I've been frustrated at times that it hasn't been as easy as before, and that I've had to take the time out, but each pregnancy is different and I'm not going to make myself exhausted/ill trying to keep other people happy.

Take the time if u need it and don't feel guilty. Put urself and baby first.

onlymrsmac Mon 20-Mar-17 16:49:54

I'm 18+1 and not sleeping well (just keep waking up!!)

Felt wrecked today, completely unproductive at work and the rest of the week looks very busy ....... so I booked half day annual leave, came home and slept for 3 hours. Amazing.

As Pp have said, depends on your work and what the relationship is like, but some time to yourself for R&R can't be beaten flowers

GreenGoblin0 Mon 20-Mar-17 16:56:43

I'm 38 weeks with my second. just started mat leave. had had the usual tiredness and bad PGP. have managed whole pregnancy without any sick days and certainly no duvet days. wouldn't dream of calling in sick if wasn't ill as that would impact on my colleagues.

Ilovewillow Mon 20-Mar-17 17:02:06

No I have never taken days off when I wasn't ill - even worked with pneumonia (not a good idea btw). However we own our own business so it would be counterproductive. However, I would say even if you aren't ill late pregnancy can be really difficult. If you are feeling physically depleted and exhausted maybe a day or two at home to regroup it a good plan, it's not the same as being at home perfectly well but just fancying a day off! Look after yourself!

mrsw14 Mon 20-Mar-17 17:05:02

I'm utterly exhausted and struggling physically but daren't ring in sick for even a day due to being put on a warning last year. Had complications after a minor op so ended up being signed off for several weeks and they gave me formal warning. If I have any more sick I'm terrified I'll lose my job, feel so drained I could curl up in a ball and cry 😢 Roll on mat leave!

Hollyhop17 Mon 20-Mar-17 18:22:23

I've had 3 months off due to the horrors of HG. Been back for a month now, but was off sick on Friday again as the vomitting returned. I think it is amazing to have made it as far as you have without a day off. Being pregnant isnt an illness but it does cause ill symtoms. Really tired of people talking down to those who dont conform to their standards. Pregnancy is really difficult for some people, you arent representing women kind so if you need a day off I think you are well within your rights to do so. Hope you feel better soon.

GreenGoblin0 Mon 20-Mar-17 18:39:33

*Really tired of people talking down to those who dont conform to their standards. Pregnancy is really difficult for some people, you arent representing women kind so if you need a day off I think you are well within your rights to do so. Hope you feel better soon*

who has talked down to anyone?? if you are sick due to pregnancy then you should call in sick. if you are generally just tired but not actually sick but would like a duvet day (which is what the op was asking ) then personally I wouldn't I'd take annual leave instead.

RasperryInAMelon Mon 20-Mar-17 18:55:56

OP you need to look after yourself and LO! Tiredness may not be an 'illness' but pregnancy is tough! I'm 30+5 and am knackered. I've taken some time to rest if I've really needed it and have decided to bring my A/Leave and Mat Leave forward to allow me time off before baby arrives (last day is next Friday!)

I don't know if you're active on the May 2017 Antenatal group on here, but there are plenty of us over there who would give you the same advice!

gigi556 Wed 22-Mar-17 08:52:06

Thank you for all the replies. I'm persevering as I have Friday, Monday, Tuesday off anyway. It's really not long until my maternity leave starts at the end of April and my work has been good about time off for appointments and classes etc.

Guess I just need to take things day by day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now